Anyone buying a NIkon V1 2 lens kit for $1150!

krugorg

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Thanks everyone. For me, I was never totally happy with the G2 or GH2 I had. For one, I couldn't quite get used to the colors. Skies were hard to deal with for example. I'm just used to those 'Nikon colors' I've grown to love from my present and past D-SLRs. The other thing was size. I was very, very tempted by the Sony NEX 5n and if it were not for the size of the lenses, I would have went with that - assuming the price was right. The m4/3 lenses were reasonable small, but the Nikon 1 is even smaller. I could have went with a Oly or something like the GF3, but I really couldn't bring myself to try another m4/3. The Nikon 1 had enough new innovations like the speed and great initial test photos, so I thought it was worth trying. I really do like it a lot. I don't shoot JPG at all. I much prefer the small RAW files and the extra tweaking I can do. The normal RAW files are only about 10 MB file size.

Out of fear of being called out for being a defensive m4/3 fanboy, I will just say congrats on the new kit and happy shooting! :2thumbs:

Just for clarity, I do need to at least point out that there is not a meaningful difference in lens size between m4/3 and the Nikon 1:

Nikon 1 10mm: 55.5 x 22mm (Diameter x Length)
LUMIX G 14mm: 55.6 x 20.6mm

Nikon 1 10-30mm: 57.5 x 42 mm
Lumix X Vario PZ 14-42 mm : 61 x 47.7 mm
Oly 14-42mm II R: 56.5 x 50mm

m43_user

Mu-43 Regular
The only three lenses I had experience with on the m4/3 system was the 14-42 that came with the G2, the 45-200 and the 14-140. The Nikon 1 kit lenses are noticeably smaller than the Panasonic lenses I was familiar with. Size definitely was not the only reason I switched though. That was a small piece of it, but not the main factor in me being willing to buy the V1.

Narnian

Nobody in particular ...
Real Name
Richard Elliott
I find this thread ... amusing. :biggrin:

I commend Nikon on joining the mirrorless fray and coming out with some very nice innovations. They have laid down a gauntlet that hopefully Oly and Panny will pick up, especially in the sensor arena.

That said, one area Nikon is behind on is lens size - especially in light of the new Panny X series lenses. I see little benefit in the Nikon system from an overall size perspective at this point.

I bought into Micro 4/3 for the size/benefit ratio I do not see in Pentax or Nikon at this time. Both are overpriced IMO for what they offer versus Micro 4/3.

In any case there are people who like the Nikon system (with some good reasons) as a travel or backup system and it will take sales from Panny and Oly.

The game is afoot!

goldenlight

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
John
Well, I suppose I could be accused of being an Olympus fanboy, having used the brand for over 30 years. There's nothing like a rival stepping on "our patch" to provoke hostilities and an endless round of "mine is better than yours" syndrome.

However, I've nothing against the V1 or J1, indeed they have some interesting innovations that I hope eventually find their way into Olympus cameras. It'll make a nice change from everyone copying our innovations - whoops, sorry! It's that fanboy mentality getting the better of me again! :biggrin:

I'm never likely to buy into the "1" system, but why do us fanboys get so uptight when there's a new kid on the block? I suppose it's the latent fear that our favoured brand enjoys such a small market share that losing any more could put it out of business. There's probably also an element of frustration that more people didn't "get" the original Four Thirds format, to the extent that some of us almost became evangalists, preaching to the unholy! :rolleyes:

The new Nikon system will undoubtably take business from Micro Four Thirds, but it could have been worse - imagine the damage that a Nikon mirrorless APS-C system might have done! And what if they had joined MFT; with their R&D capabilities, marketing clout and reputation how long before they edged Olympus out of the door? :eek: It could be Olympus and Panasonic wouldn't let them join, of course; I believe Micro 4/3 is not an open standard like the original 4/3.

Fears and prejudices apart, the Nikon 1 is an interesting system which should force Olympus to up their game and that can only be good for us. But do I regret recently buying an E-P3? Nope! :biggrin:

Latest threads

Top Bottom