Anyone buy cameras/lenses from eBay Japan?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by musicwack, May 10, 2016.

1. musicwack

musicwack Mu-43 Regular

May 21, 2015
    South Jersey
    I just wanted to see if anybody on the forums has had experience with buying camera gear from eBay, particularly users/cameras shops located in Japan.

I'm not having too many hits finding certain film cameras and lenses located in the US. It seems that there is an abundance of the gear I'm looking for located in Japan and the price seems very reasonable. Feedback ratings look good but any information about your personal experience would be very much appreciated! Thanks in advance!
  2. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    I've bought a few lenses from Japan, everything's come as-described and there were no additional customs charges.
  3. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    I've always heard they're the best sellers on that whole place and I've only ever found them to be the most incredibly scrupulous sellers around - will describe every last conceivable issue down to the finest detail if it impacts on the condition or quality of the gear and never delay or bullshit you about anything. Had no issues ordering some of my more expensive lenses from sellers over there.
    • Agree Agree x 5
  4. Drdul

Drdul Mu-43 Regular

May 16, 2015
    Vancouver, BC
    Have bought a camera and lenses from Japan, absolutely no problems. 10/10 would buy again.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    I bought two items from Japanese sellers on eBay and although they weren't big ticket items, the products and service were excellent. Fast delivery, well packed, good communications, and as good or better than described. No additional customs charges. I did check to make sure the sellers had good ratings and feedback. Very satisfied so far. :)
  6. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Bought 3 lenses so far. Happy every time. Just make sure they ship it EMS and you'll get it in less than a week instead of weeks with the cheap shipping.

I am a bit wary of buying cameras because Panasonic has been known to make some Japanese-market camera models that have ONLY Japanese menus. Triple check that the menu can be set to your preferred language if you buy a camera from another country.

I had one lens sit in customs for 3-4 days, but it came through without incident or fees. I haven't been charged customs or duties.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. musicwack

musicwack Mu-43 Regular

May 21, 2015
    South Jersey
    Awesome, just what I needed to hear! Thanks!
  8. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 20, 2012
    Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia
    Yes, I have & am very pleased with the cleanliness & condition of a used lens from a seller. The main thing is to get the highest rating & check feedback. Any negatives etc show any possible issues & also show if any buyer giving that negative may not be reasonable. I have bought from 100% rated sellers & the chance of finding them there are much better than elsewhere.
  9. dvcdude

dvcdude New to Mu-43

Feb 6, 2016
    Dave McKenna
    I purchased a Pentax 645n medium format film camera from Japan and it is like new and exactly as described. Also arrived in Indy 3 days after payment.
  10. dougpayne

dougpayne Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 2, 2016
    C.D. Payne
    I've generally had good experiences. I bought a medium format camera with a cracked plastic body. It was shown in the photos but not described. It pays to look at the photos carefully. I didn't want to bother sending it back, so I sold it for a loss (and mentioned the defect). Otherwise everything has been great. Delivery is within a few days in most cases.