1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Anyone bought from eBay seller gpackard?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by the.growler, Apr 26, 2012.

1. the.growler

the.growler Mu-43 Regular

I've looked at a couple of lenses offered by eBay seller gpackard from time to time and always been put off his/her routine statement that the lenses have "dust/dirt/fungus" without further explanation and the lack of through-the-lens images. When I've contacted him/her to find out if the issue is dust or dirt (which I can deal with) versus fungus, I've received a brusque "I'm not an expert" - which I find strange coming from someone who specializes in camera sales. Does anyone here have any first-hand experience with this seller?

2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I've never dealt with this particular seller, but I would just walk away if that's the way they choose to describe their items. It seems they are obviously trying to set up a situation where you cannot argue that the lens was in worse condition than they claimed, no matter what condition it arrives to you in.

There are enough good quality lenses (and honest, trustworthy sellers) available on eBay (and elsewhere) that I would just ignore this one. If the lens they are offering (or the price) is really special, then I would take the time to read their feedback to see if other buyers have been satisfied.

You might want to look at the advice on buying used lenses that I've compiled here.

3. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    I looked them up. The listing the OP is referencing is 3 adaptall lenses with a starting bid of $8 plus $16 shipping. They have about 1500 feedback, 99.8% positive and sell all old photographic equipment. No reason to ignore the seller, or suggest it without finding out for yourself!

To the OP, I would take them exactly at their description, they are also selling lenses for $500+ (pentax FA 645 45-85mm) so if they say there is fungus and priced it at $8 to start, they probably aren't worth the time - at $8 a lens if no one else bids it isn't much of an investment, but I certainly wouldn't expect anything to write home about.

4. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I was just stating what I would do if I felt like the seller was not willing to take the time to provide a thorough description of the item they are selling.

If you want to do more research and try to vet the seller more completely that's up to you, but I just feel that life's too short to deal with folks who I don't get a good feeling about.

I don't begrudge you your opinion, and I'd appreciate the same respect from you.

5. the.growler

the.growler Mu-43 Regular

@ pxpaulx and DeeJayK:

Thanks to both for your insights - there isn't a particular listing I'm following at the moment, just looking for feedback from someone who actually purchased from this seller. :smile: