anyone biting at the E-P2 for approx. $500?

FaradayCage

Mu-43 Regular
Please talk me out of buying an E-P2 for about $500 from amazon.com... I know since I already have the E-PL1 it's just gadget envy, and the money would be better spent on the 20mm Panasonic f1.7...

But an E-P2 for around $500? So tempting.

Mr Hahn

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Nate
BUY IT!!! I would if I didn't already have one. I really LOVE this camera.

Taken today with my the Oly 9-18mm on my E-P2. I took 5 exposures and converted them to HDR with Nik software in Aperture:

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/56678159@N02/5264640570/" title="PC151259_HDR by Nate Hahn, on Flickr"> View attachment 154315 "513" height="640" alt="PC151259_HDR" /></a>

FaradayCage

Mu-43 Regular
Thou tauntest me, good sir. I keep thinking I could spend about $300 for a new Panny 20mm f1.7 instead of getting another camera body. Today, amazon has the E-P2 with the 17mm lens for 5 and a quarter.

BTW, amazing shot. The clouds and sky sing out.

Mr Hahn

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Nate
Seriously, the E-PL1 is also a great camera with great output. Unless the form factor of the E-PL1 is really bugging you, I would get some good glass to go with it and buy the 20mm.

ccunningham

Mu-43 Veteran
I already have an e-p1, and I already have the 17, but I really wanted the e-p2 when it came out.

And I still want one, mainly because of it's more understated finish.

If I 500 US simoleons, I would buy one.

But I don't, so I can't.

Now if I could swap my e-p1 plus $100 boot to amazon, well then I could get one. Unfortunately I don't see that as a payment option on their site.

FaradayCage

Mu-43 Regular
Seriously, the E-PL1 is also a great camera with great output. Unless the form factor of the E-PL1 is really bugging you, I would get some good glass to go with it and buy the 20mm.

Man oh man, I'm looking at the thread on images from the 20mm Panny and you are right. That lens will also make the overall camera much smaller. I love putting my Contax G lenses on the E-PL1; best lenses I've ever owned on a film camera and now on a digital one as well. But I could get huge aperture plus autofocus and IBIS with the Panny f1.7.

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
Thou tauntest me, good sir. I keep thinking I could spend about $300 for a new Panny 20mm f1.7 instead of getting another camera body. Today, amazon has the E-P2 with the 28mm lens for 5 and a quarter.

BTW, amazing shot. The clouds and sky sing out.

What lens are you talking about ......me thinks me is interested.....
shooter

scantron

Mu-43 Regular
The Amazon price keeps creeping up. It started at $500, then $518, now $526...

Mr Hahn

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Nate
Man oh man, I'm looking at the thread on images from the 20mm Panny and you are right. That lens will also make the overall camera much smaller. I love putting my Contax G lenses on the E-PL1; best lenses I've ever owned on a film camera and now on a digital one as well. But I could get huge aperture plus autofocus and IBIS with the Panny f1.7.

DO IT! :2thumbs:

FaradayCage

Mu-43 Regular
Say, how would you set an EP camera with a dedicated micro 4/3 lens that doesn't have built-in IS? In the case of the Panny 20mm, do you set the EP for 20 or 40 mm? Or does the Panny lens transmit enough info to the EP body for it to set the focal length automatically?

Mr Hahn

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Nate
Say, how would you set an EP camera with a dedicated micro 4/3 lens that doesn't have built-in IS? In the case of the Panny 20mm, do you set the EP for 20 or 40 mm? Or does the Panny lens transmit enough info to the EP body for it to set the focal length automatically?

Any native m4/3 lens (which is ALL of the Oly and Pany m4/3 lenses) will communicate its info to the body and the IS will automatically function when it's set to be on.

You manually set the focal length for non-m4/3 and you set the number printed on the lens, not the conversion number. When I'm shooting with my adapted Pentax 50mm I go into the IS menu, press the +/- button to manually set focal length, and set 50mm.

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
All youse young whippersnappers with yer high couture fancy IS stuff.....
I use a GF1 and the 20.....
Sheeesh.... We doin need no fancy IS 'round these here Philly parts...
61 and still holding steady.....

Of course Nik Sharpener Pro helps...!

vtmullins

Mu-43 Rookie
re ep-2

I actually pulled the trigger on the EP-2 for 515 (around that) and the 17mm oly lens. I did that instead of EPL-1 because i didn't want the 14-40 kit lens mostly. I really dig the EP-2. It has a fantastic feel to it and great retro look. It also has enough features that as I continue to improve, I will be able to take advantage of the camera's capabilities. (for example, I believe the bracketing capabilities are much better on EP-2, as Mr. Hahn has showed off with his awesome Hdr shot. If its the 20 mm pany lens or ep-2 and 17mm, i guess it comes down to how much you want that pany lens over a similar oly lens. its a good choice to have to make :)

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
I paid $799 for an ep2 with the 17mm pancake in June and it was a screaming deal then. If I didn't already have one, I'd surely jump on the same package for closer to $500 now. That said, I don't regret paying more, given all of the use its gotten in the interim. And I got a very low price on a gf1 body a few weeks ago, so at least ONE of my cameras was bought after the 'new camera smell' had worn off some.

-Ray

Latest threads

Top Bottom