Anyone added a hotshoe when EVF fitted?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by PR4Photos, Oct 28, 2012.

1. PR4Photos

PR4Photos New to Mu-43

Oct 28, 2012
    Just wondering if anyone has modified their GF1, GX1 etc to add a separate manual hotshoe to their camera for when an EVF is fitted.
    Can't imagine it would be difficult to feed a couple of wires to the existing hotshoe to take the electronic signals and then add the hotshoe to top plate.
  2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Sounds like a fun project but way above my ability. I'm having a hard enough time trying add a manual hotshoe to my RX100 without even feeding wires - I just need it to mount an optical viewfinder which needs no contacts :smile:.
  3. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    That would be a "plain accessory shoe" and NOT a "hot shoe". "Hot shoes" ALWAYS have electrical contacts, that's what makes them "hot".
  4. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

some call it a "cold shoe".

Honestly, I think Olympus screwed up on the OMD E-M5. They should have a PC Xsync port especially for those that shoot in a studio.
  5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    That wasn't an error with the OM-D E-M5. That's something that should have been put into every PEN since at least the E-P2 (I wouldn't say the E-P1 really needed one, since the hotshoe was just a hotshoe).

For what it's worth though, I never need the EVF in the studio. The freedom to shoot in any position and from any angle with the LCD is much more useful than an eye-level viewfinder in the studio, especially since you have time to compose your shot.

I shoot models in the studio much more with the camera hanging down near my chest than at eye level, in order to get a flattering perspective on them. When I shot with a DSLR I was always going down on one knee. I don't have to do that anymore.
    Products even moreso, are much easier to find the right angle using the LCD. This is a particular blessing for those of us shooting lines of products one after another.
  6. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I agree....

Even consumer level cameras going back to the later film cameras "lost" their Xsync ports except for the higher end models. I kinda expected the OMD E-M5 to be treated as a higher end model to be equipped as an Xsync port.

Another thing that I find annoying about the later cameras.... Why oh Why did they get rid of the threads on the shutter button for cable or plunger release? Simple solution to a problem.... almost no impact to design. I have a leaf shutter lens I can adapt.... that needs a dual cable release.