Anybody with the 12mm and 12-40mm Oly zoom

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by tomO2013, Nov 19, 2013.

1. tomO2013

tomO2013 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013

I have the 12-40 2.8 Oly and cannot say enough good things about this lens. I am very tempted however by the lure of low light architecture shooting that the 12 would better facilitate (but it is only a stop advantage).
    Being honest however, most of the time I use the 12mm focal length of the 12-40 for landscape.
    So can anybody who owns both the 12-40 and the 12mm tell me how you find the two lenses?
    Does the 12mm still get much use (size diff isn't a consideration for me)? Optically do you prefer the 12mm focal length rendering of one lens to the other? Would you still own both ?

• Like Like x 1
  2. SpecFoto

SpecFoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    So Cal
    I have the 12mm f/2 and use it for architectural interior and exterior shots. It is very good and pretty sharp throughout the coverage range. Really great in landscapes, so easy to carry. 12mm 4/3 or 24mm on FF is OK for architectural work, it is just beyond the line where perspective starts to get a bit wonky. Most times no problem to correct in PS though. I use my MF Nikkor 28mm on my FF gear for interiors a bunch, its perspective is better.

Today I ordered the 12-40, and I am hoping it is as good as the 12mm, because I want to use it for architectural work in the 12mm to 16mm range. In 2-1/2 weeks I will be taking some architectural exterior shots and will post back my finding.
  3. F/Stop

F/Stop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    Brian Y.
    I had the 12mm with the 12-40 for awhile. I saw no drop in IQ. Subjectively, I believe the 12mm end of the zoom is sharper across the frame than the 12 prime. I also weighed the advantage of the aperture difference. And for me at least , I rarely rarely used F /2.0. So for me the 12-40 was well worth it because I also got rid of the 17mm 1.8 and I have zero regrets as I believe the 12-40 performance is as equal if not better than primes at the same same aperture.

Now obviously the zoom is not 1.8. But like I said before I hardly ever used the lenses wide open.

But otoh , I kept my. 25 panny not only for its rendering. , but if I need to, I have the ability to shoot in very low light easier than the zoom. And it's quite nice for bokeh as well