Anybody with the 12mm and 12-40mm Oly zoom

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by tomO2013, Nov 19, 2013.

1. tomO2013

tomO2013 Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 28, 2013
    Hi,

I have the 12-40 2.8 Oly and cannot say enough good things about this lens. I am very tempted however by the lure of low light architecture shooting that the 12 would better facilitate (but it is only a stop advantage).
    Being honest however, most of the time I use the 12mm focal length of the 12-40 for landscape.
    So can anybody who owns both the 12-40 and the 12mm tell me how you find the two lenses?
    Does the 12mm still get much use (size diff isn't a consideration for me)? Optically do you prefer the 12mm focal length rendering of one lens to the other? Would you still own both ?

Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  2. SpecFoto

SpecFoto Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 28, 2012
    So Cal
    Jim
    I have the 12mm f/2 and use it for architectural interior and exterior shots. It is very good and pretty sharp throughout the coverage range. Really great in landscapes, so easy to carry. 12mm 4/3 or 24mm on FF is OK for architectural work, it is just beyond the line where perspective starts to get a bit wonky. Most times no problem to correct in PS though. I use my MF Nikkor 28mm on my FF gear for interiors a bunch, its perspective is better.

Today I ordered the 12-40, and I am hoping it is as good as the 12mm, because I want to use it for architectural work in the 12mm to 16mm range. In 2-1/2 weeks I will be taking some architectural exterior shots and will post back my finding.

3. F/Stop

F/Stop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    Brian Y.
    I had the 12mm with the 12-40 for awhile. I saw no drop in IQ. Subjectively, I believe the 12mm end of the zoom is sharper across the frame than the 12 prime. I also weighed the advantage of the aperture difference. And for me at least , I rarely rarely used F /2.0. So for me the 12-40 was well worth it because I also got rid of the 17mm 1.8 and I have zero regrets as I believe the 12-40 performance is as equal if not better than primes at the same same aperture.

Now obviously the zoom is not 1.8. But like I said before I hardly ever used the lenses wide open.

But otoh , I kept my. 25 panny not only for its rendering. , but if I need to, I have the ability to shoot in very low light easier than the zoom. And it's quite nice for bokeh as well

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.