1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Anybody using Elgeet or other cine lenses on M43?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by gnarlydog australia, Jun 14, 2016.

1. gnarlydog australia

gnarlydog australia Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    After falling in love with the Kodak Cine lenses I am looking what else other manufacturers had to offer in the same era: I came across Elgeet from Rochester NY.
    I see several lenses but not sure what was designed for 16mm film and not 8mm. I know 8mm film lenses will not cover the M43 sensor so I am not interested in those.
    Anybody using Elgeet, Bell&Howell or lenses designend for Bolex or any other cine lenses?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. kurtwist

kurtwist Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 6, 2011
    Southern Calif.
    I'd be interested in that information, too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. metaphorce

metaphorce Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 4, 2016
    As I think you and have discussed elsewhere, I've tried a Taylor Taylor and Hobson 25mm f1.9, which is nice and sharp in its original coverage area, and rather bizarre outside of it. TTH wad a very highly regarded cine lens maker. They made the speed panchros that were the Hollywood industry standard in the 30's. Some B&H 16mm format lenses were made by TTH. They are sometimes referred to as Taylor Hobson Cooke, although Cooke was more of a model name, referring to the Cooke design.

Re 8mm: they mostly were made in D mount, a 5/8" diameter screw thread, so they're easy to tell from the 1" diameter C mounts.

Other options: i mounted a Kern Switar on my camera, but didn't really get a chance to shoot it. Looked nice through the finder, though. Kern, Paillard, and Som Berthiot were all European makers for 16mm cine format, like for Bolex cameras which used C mount, and there are Schneider cine lenses around in Arriflex mounts.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app

4. gnarlydog australia

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    it seems that only few people venture with 16mm film cine lenses maybe because the IQ (misnomer) is only good in the centre most times?
    I am yet to understand if the Kodak Ektar 38mm f2.5 does cover M43 or not, but I have seen many images taken with that lens that are on FF, while others say that the 38mm does NOT cover... would like to see if anybody could confirm/deny my suspicion since I am interested in that focal length from Kodak.
    The Kern Switar usually command a very high price and so do the Angenieux so buying one without knowing if it's suitable is a rather costly exercise.

I have a Cosmicar 50mm f1.4 TV lens coming and apparently there are mods needed to get infinity. Anybody used the Cosmicar?

5. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    • Useful Useful x 2
  6. gnarlydog australia

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    thank you for the great samples and evidence on how much sensor is covered with those lenses you tried
    It seems that nothing shorter than 25mm is the typical rule, unless there are some special lenses that I am not aware of
    My Kodak Anastigmat 13mm (for 8mm film camera) covers about the same as your Elgeet

7. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    seems about right when one thinks about it. Like why cover more than the film / sensor as that only makes internal flare more of an issue.

Happy to help :)

but it sure was a pretty lens ... I almost regret selling it for that reason alone. But we all know where that leads:

tooManyLenses.

• Winner Winner x 2
  8. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Maria
    OMG do you own all them?

• Like Like x 1
  9. gnarlydog australia

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    I like how you stack them like it would be firewood :)

Just remembered I have a sample image from a Zeika 63mm designed for 8mm film (thank you Chrome) that doesn't cover M43.
    Posting it for future reference is anybody wants to consider converting that lens

27335621766_4ae2858d54_b. PR000013 by gnarlydog, on Flickr

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    God No!

some other poor bastard does though. Is a photo from my blog post on camera related illnesses

in my view ...: Camera Related Illnesses

my regular visits to a clinic help me from getting that bad

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Not an Elgeet, but I have a Kaligar 8mm movie lens that gives me interesting results. It will only close focus, giving me a sort of macro, and doesn't cover the entire frame. However, it is extremely sharp dead center.

12. gnarlydog australia

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    well, your images made me retry that Zeika 63mm and indeed it would be more usable for close-up/macro.
    Freelensing, if I bring that lens further away from the senor I get better coverage (naturally) and the bokeh and DOF is better than an adapted SLR long (50mm) macro lens where everything is just a uniform blur with no context .
    Hmmm, I will have to tinker and create a nice end to that lens so I can screw it into a C-mount. Thank you for the idea

13. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    It's fun playing with these odd lenses. I look forward to seeing what you get.

14. gnarlydog australia

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    last night I came across the most comprehensive (but obviously not totally imperative) collection of C-mount lenses from a single person I have ever seen.
    They are all methodically cataloged under the manufacturer's name, each lens photographed with a couple of sample images to show coverage, sharpness and bokeh.
    I now have a few days of studying to do to see what can be considered acceptable to me, see if any of those lenses are worth considering and available for less than a 3 digit figure :crying:
    Here is the list

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1