Anybody using an Olympus 12-50mm lens on a non-IBIS Panasonic body?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Jonathan F/2, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, USA
    Olympus 12-50mm versus Pansonic 12-32mm - Which would you get?

I'm debating which lens I want to get. Can't really decide. Most likely I buy either one used. I will use either with my E-M10 & E-PM2 combo. My current lenses are the 15/8, 17/1.8 & 45/1.8. Also I don't consider the weather sealing a pro, because I don't have a weather sealed body! Anyways, here are my pros and cons:

Olympus 12-50mm -

Pros: Fixed barrel length, macro feature, slightly longer reach, a bit cheaper used.
    Cons: Perhaps not as sharp, bigger lens (but I don't really consider it big in general), slow max aperture.

Panasonic 12-32mm -

Pros: Pancake, probably bit sharper, built in lens IS will give me an EVF/LCD stabilized lens, will allow my E-PM2 to be ultra compact for those times I want a P&S body.
    Cons: A bit more expensive, no macro also a bit more expensive in the used market.

My main needs are the 12mm which both offer, but after that the features differ. I like the 12-50mm because I use my M43 gear in conjunction with my DSLRs for work related shooting and the macro feature would be really useful for those detailed shots. The 12-32mm on the other hand allows a truly stealth alternative especially on my E-PM2 for those times I want a compact street and travel setup which I also enjoy shooting!

Anyways, I can't decide any advice for an undecided shooter? :wink:

2. rich9cinti

rich9cinti Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2013
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Rich
    Hey Jonathan, I've placed it on my GF3 shiz and giggles. Works ok in good lighting conditions. I would most likely not use the combo. When I do decide to carry the GF3, it's paired up with the 14mm pancake just to keep it very compact.

3. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, USA
    Changed up my thread because, I've changed priorities and didn't want two threads floating around. Anyways, bumping for some advice! :smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.