Anybody using a Fotodiox adapter for Konica AR?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by walter_j, Mar 20, 2014.

1. walter_j

walter_j Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Hagwilget, B.C., Canada
    Walter
    I have 2 konica lenses, a 135 F/3.2 and a 200mm F/3.5 with a Fotasy adapter. Neither lens will focus to infinity wide open, or for at least 3 stops more.They focus to infinity at about F/5. I'm wondering if the Fotodiox adapter will focus to infinity wide open.

2. Jüri

Jüri Mu-43 Regular

Dec 14, 2013
    Tartu
    Jüri
    No idea about Fotodiox, but I can tell you that a Fotga one I got from eBay will focus even past infinity.

3. heedpantsnow

heedpantsnow Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 24, 2011
    My Fotoga will also do infinity. Maybe you can contact them or shim it behind the mount?

4. walter_j

walter_j Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Hagwilget, B.C., Canada
    Walter
    I ordered the fotodiox since it's guaranteed to focus to infinity. Rainbow imaging support contact generates an error. I'll try to shim the fotasy too. Maybe a washer under the mount plate will do the trick.

5. heedpantsnow

heedpantsnow Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 24, 2011
    No, don't use a washer. It will be too big. I would use something like metal foil tape, put it on one layer at a time and testing it after each layer. The amount needed for change is very, very small.

6. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    If it cannot reach infinity, adding shims only makes it worse. An adapter that is too thick won't focus to infinity. Too thin focuses past infinity. Just right is very rare.

7. walter_j

walter_j Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Hagwilget, B.C., Canada
    Walter
    Regular tape, which was thick, improved the wide open aperture, but made the F/16 worse. Maybe 1/2 as thick will work. Cheap adapters weren't such a good deal. Who'da thunk...

8. Droogie

Droogie Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2013
    Washington State
    Well I've had buddies that have bought expensive adapters that also have the same issues.

9. walter_j

walter_j Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Hagwilget, B.C., Canada
    Walter
    I'm thinking it would be better to have problems focusing to infinity on the F/16 end rather than wide open, since i usually want a higher shutter speed that you get wide open. Lucky I don't use telephoto lens much, so CA and focusing issues isn't critical. M43 has a big hole in lens lineup when it comes to long lens. I'll report on the fotodiox when i get it.

10. verbatimium

verbatimium Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario
    Martin
    I just checked infinity focus with my Konica Hexanon AR 135mm F3.2 and 200mm F3.5 lenses (both are the most recent version) with my Fotasy Konica AR to m4/3 adapter that I got from Rainbowimaging. Both lenses focus very slightly past infinity for me at all aperture values from wide open all the way through F16.

Can you post a pic of your Fotasy adapter? I have ordered quite a few adapters from them, and I noticed that they sometimes ship out different kinds of Konica AR to m4/3 adapters. Seems like they just order a bunch from overseas, and stick their Fotasy brand name on them, but they are not consistent in getting the exact same adapter each time. So my Fotasy adapter may actually be different than your Fotasy adapter. Just for your information, I have ordered a few Koncia AR to m4/3 adapters from them off of Ebay within the last couple of weeks, and they have all turned out to be too good one that focuses lenses to infinity. So they seem to have a good inventory right now.

I really like the Fotasy adapter that I have. All my Konica AR lenses fit nice and snug on the lens side while still allowing aperture ring to move freely (I noticed some adapters obstruct the movement of the aperture ring). There is a very small amount of play on the camera side, but even when turning the focus ring on my Hexanon AR 300mm F4.5 lens, I don't notice it.

11. walter_j

walter_j Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Hagwilget, B.C., Canada
    Walter
    fotasy konica adapter

My E-m5 doesn't have focus peaking, so i use the magnify to help focus. I don't have trouble reaching sharp focus at F/8, but I can't get sharp focus at F/3/5 with the Konica 200. My eyes get sore very quick at F/3.5, and focusing is tricky at long distances with this lens. since such a small movement changes focus so much. I tried again, and same result. It could also be that the lens isn't that sharp at F/3.5, or my eyes can't take the amount of fiddling needed to reach focus at F/3.5. It's probably very close though.

Attached Files:

12. verbatimium

verbatimium Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario
    Martin
    Looks the be the exact same one I am using. Which version of the 200mm F3.5 do you have. The lens isn't particularily sharp at 3.5, but I find it sharpens up quite nicely one click over from wide open. Anyway, I can easily get the lens to focus to infinity on my PL5.

13. walter_j

walter_j Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Hagwilget, B.C., Canada
    Walter
    Konica Hexanon AR 200 mm / F3.5
    middle EE variation for AR bayonet

The lens is in very good condition, with few if any marks on the body. The lens is in great shape too. I find that one click past 3.5 cleans up a bit, but nowhere near as much as F8. At F8, it's obviously in sharp focus, but stops less than f/8 it's not the case. Perhaps it isn't the adapter, and I'm expecting too much from this lens. If the fotodiox adapter doesn't help, I'll try a different lens. Perhaps the canon or contax 200. I've seen a contax here for $300, which seems a bit much. $250 seems more common. My eyes get too sore with this konica.

14. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Why you haven't returned those two adapters or exchanged them already, I don't understand.

Most do.

For this reason I wish I could find adapters that used a seperate piece for the micro four thirds side of the mount adapter. To more easily be able to shim them to perfection.
    This makes no sense. If the flangeback distance is perfect wide open, then it should be fine stopped down too. Unless the lens is defective.
    They all do. The cheap ones anyway.

15. walter_j

walter_j Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Hagwilget, B.C., Canada
    Walter
    Why you haven't returned those two adapters or exchanged them already, I don't understand.

Rainbow Imaging customer support email returns an error message, so I can't contact them to return or exchange the adapter. I'm trying to determine through help from this forum if the problem I'm having is the adapter or lens. I have tried shimming the lens, and it didn't work very good, so I'm dropping the idea of shimming. Others have had success with this adapter and with this lens, but mine are unacceptable to me. If the fotodiox adapter works or not, I'll update this thread when I get it. Fotodiox guarantees that it will focus to infinity, so I will find out one way or the other soon. If it's the lens, I'll be looking for recommendations from this forum for a replacement.

16. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

OK. Well I can help with returning as long as you paid with a secure method. You can put in a claim with PayPal or any visa or master card used.

17. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    One lens not reaching infinity, it could be the lens or adapter. Two lens with same problem, the adapter was made too thick. You cannot shim it if it's too thick, Material must be removed. So exchange it or junk it.

It sounds like you ordered a second one from Fotodiox. That should work. If it doesn't then we're not understanding your problem.

You're not setting the lens focus mark to infinity and expecting that to be accurate are you?

18. walter_j

walter_j Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Hagwilget, B.C., Canada
    Walter
    I treat the infinity mark as a rough guide for most lens, and thats definately the case with my konica lens. I'll dig out a micrometer when the fotodiox comes and compare them. My eyes were sore for days after when trying to sort out the lens focus issue, so it's something I have to clear up. My eyes are bad enough already.