Anybody use XeL lightroom presets?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by speedandstyle, Mar 8, 2013.

1. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

2. hanzo

hanzo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 22, 2010
    Moi.. they are quite good.. I got them when they had a promo.
    I love Ektar and Fuji 160C presets :)
  3. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Thanks! I will probably try it out next pay check.
  4. MiguelATF

MiguelATF Mu-43 Veteran

X-Equals rocks

I know I'm reviving an ancient thread here, but I recently purchased a pack of outrageously cool film/negative/slide/polaoid/etc presets from X-Equals, aka Xel - a small company made up, from what I can tell, of dedicated lunatics who are obsessed with the minutiae of replicating classic negative and slide film stocks for digital cameras. The Xel stuff works in conjunction with Lightroom - I'm using LR 4.x - and features such an insanely large range of films that, honestly, it puts both VSCO and Nik Efex and Replichrome, to shame. Better yet, X-equals comes at a relative bargain price compared to the other big boys - a bundle of Color Presets and B & W's as well, together for.....(drumroll).....only $49.99.

Yeah yeah yeah, I know I'm pimping a product but this particular product just seems to offer an almost endless variety of post-processing fun. Warning: there's a slight learning curve for how Xel works exactly - it's a little more complex than the simplistic and easy-to-use approach of the Nik presets which, to date, had been my favorites for power, coolness and versatility.

And, yeah, I know, if I were more dedicated, I'd go out there and spend hours and days and weeks cooking up my own presets. Right. Sure. But from my perspective, playing around with the dozens and dozens of films stocks, negative, positive, and all the multiple processing just pretty

And at approx a third the price of a VSCO's hard to pass up. At least, well, it was for me.

Their website is at - X-Equals - Click. Download. Smile. |
  5. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Thx, hadn't heard of them. I've bought a few different "brands" of presets, and I find I only ever use one or two from each set ... and rarely at that. So now I tend to look and not buy. Will check 'em out though. :biggrin:

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
  6. Ranger Rick

Ranger Rick Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    Tempe, AZ
    I've been using them for a few months, and the quality and pricing AE excellent. I find I only use the B&W ones, have a few favorites I tend to cycle thru. I do sometimes start from scratch, but it's good to be able to quickly view several alternatives to get an idea of where you might want to go.

It's also nice you don't need to go to an external editor, which would result in larger (tiff) files.
  7. ctc

ctc Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 5, 2012
    Denmark, Copenhagen
    Claus Tom Christensen
    Free Kodachrome presets from X-Equals!

I use the Kodachrome presets and they are just fantastic :)

And they are FREE!!!

From the X-Equals blog/article:

"While it is sad to see Kodachrome go, it is time to move on. But Kodachome’s unique appearance will be missed. To that extent, I have collected my Kodachrome emulations released in the Cold Storage Collections, updated them and are releasing all 20+ of them free as a memorial to Kodachrome.
    Also included in one new present, entitled “Kodachrome Memorial” which goes beyond emulation of the film and attempts to capture the essence of an old Kodachrome slide."

:2thumbs: In Memoriam – Kodachrome (1935 – 2010) | X-Equals - Click. Download. Smile. and just hit the "Download the Goods" in the bottom... :2thumbs:
  8. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Well after watching the videos, I caved and bought them. I have to say I like them better than many of the other presets I've got. Thanks for the tip! :smile:
  9. chipbutty

chipbutty Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2012
    Sheffield, Yorkshire, England.
    I bought them a few months ago and I really wasn't that happy with them. I'm sure with some tweaking I could have got the presets looking very nice but that for me negates the whole point of presets. I do appreciate they need work and for many they're a starting point. But the less work I have to do the better. Though I'm not averse to spending hours in Lightroom tweaking my own presets! My main gripe was with the tone curves. Also there are no custom profiles for specific cameras, that is a big issue if you're hoping to achieve a realistic simulation of particular films. VSCO 4 just nails it every time with my Fuji X100. Replichrome looks very interesting. Each to their own and it's great that we have so much choice.

10. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    BTW, their customer service is excellent. I encountered a small snafu and emailed them. I got a friendly response within a few minutes, and it resolved my issue. Very impressive!
  11. MiguelATF

MiguelATF Mu-43 Veteran

Kodachrome Presets from X-Equals

Have to agree with you on this - the Xel/E-equals Kodachrome presets are, in a word....

But what's interesting is - with the almost literally dozens of both slide and color negative film presets - while some of my digital 'negatives' seem to lend themselves well with several of the Kodachrome presets - including multiple Fuji Velvia variations, Provia and Sensias and Ektachrome 100 (which is quite interesting). Their color negative films include a range of Kodak Portas which are almost drool-worthy.
  12. dweller

dweller Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 14, 2012
    London, UK
    Don't know if I'm missing something but I can't find a link to download the Kodachrome presets.
    Can anyone help me out?
    Sent from my Cyclone Voyager using Mu-43 mobile app
  13. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US