1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Anybody try telephoto C-mount lenses?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Jonathan F/2, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I noticed there are telephoto c-mount lenses in the 135mm-150mm range. Has anyone tried them and if so, are they any good? Thanks for any replies!

2. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Yeah, I've got an 80mm Meopta Openar f/2.8 lens I've been playing with recently. One advantage over the shorter ones is that it covers the full sensor with hardly any vignetting. It's a pretty decent portrait lens, and very tiny. I'll try to post a picture of the camera + lens and a few snaps taken with it a bit later.

3. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have a 75mm 1.4 that's pretty good, but I was thinking more along the lines of something like this:

objectif monture c Cosmicar 150mm. f3.2 - US List of 321 c mount lens, - 321 cine lens, cs, cctv, tv ( c-lens, c-mount, cine lens )

4. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
  5. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

I too am looking for good telephotos.
    I already have a nice fast 75mm f/1.4 lens but I would like something above 150mm that are more compact than using adapted legacy SLR lenses.
    Any ideas?

6. apicius9

apicius9 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I tried a few older 150mm c-mount lenses, but I did not find any of them so stellar that I wanted to keep them. Most modern multicoated lenses are just better. Maybe with the EM5 and better IS it would be different. The Kern Yvar and Macro Yvars 150 are nice, but the Macro Yvar shows some vignetting and goes for ridiculous prices (which is why I sold mine again, didn't see the value for me). My favorite was the chrome Schneider 150/4, but while more compact than most 35mm lenses, this is pure glass and metal and quite heavy. I did keep the 100/2.8 for now but eventually may sell that one also. The only one I have left is an older Taylor and Hobson 150/4.5 which I find quite nice and may keep. Depending on the camera you use, from an IQ perspective you may be better off with a good 100mm lens and cropping or ETC compared to older c-mounts. That ignores the fun factor, of course. The Macro Yvar looks really funny on a M4/3 camera and I always had people looking at me or asking about it when I used it.

Stefan

7. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    Kern Paillard 150mm f/4 c mount lens

I was very fortunate to be given a lovely Kern Paillard 150mm lens and extension tubes dating from the 1950's. As you can see from below it has a considerable overhang when using the tripod bush on the camera. I have a lathe and have subsequently made myself a clamp that mounts around the lens barrel at about the point of balance which also allows me to rotate the set up by 90 deg for vertically orientated shots.

Used without any extension tube there is severe vignetting at the corners so you'd have to crop the resulting picture, however there is no such problem when used with even the shortest extension tube (10mm). The bokeh with this lens is really nice as you can see from some of the close up shots. These have not been cropped in post processing.

I'm pretty sure I posted a thread about this lens here on mu-43 when I first used it, but haven't been unable to find it. If I come across it I'll post the link.

Barrie

• Like Like x 2
  8. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    Barrie
    Fascinating, there you are half way round the world writing about your Yvar just as I was writing about mine :smile:

Barrie

9. apicius9

apicius9 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    LOL, maybe I should have kept mine for macros, your pictures sure look great. Bokeh and colors on all Kerns I tried were really nice, in this case I was just disappointed with the vignetting at that FL.

Stefan

10. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    Barrie
    Thanks Stefan. Agreed about the vignetting, I have used it as a straight non macro lens, really because something presented itself when I was out otherwise intent on using it for macro purposes, and from memory you end up having to crop about 1/4 of the area of the photograph.

Barrie

11. apicius9

apicius9 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    With the macro version I was always wondering about the reason for the vignetting. They are very long and narrow, but there is also an inner 'ring' close to the c-mount thread that narrows the diameter quite a bit. For a while I was thinking about finding someone with a Metal lathe to open that up some more and see if it makes a difference. But in the end, I sold it because I had more lenses than I could afford to keep.

Time for bed out here,

Stefan

• Like Like x 2
  12. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

That yvar seams nice, do you mind me asking you guys what it cost you?
    I just wanted an Idea.
    I would really like it if someone were to come up with a 250mm lens that is f3.5 or better and is much lighter and a little smaller than its 35mm SLR lens counterparts & is not crazy expensive.

13. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Barrie -I found what you wrote quite interesting. I used a 1mm extension tube on a heavily vignetting lens achieving the same results as yours. Amazing what 1mm can do! This extension tube came as a "bonus" with a really inexpensive c-mount adapter on eBay.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Crdome

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Stefan -do you have a suggestion as to the optimal ID odiameter of that ring might be?

15. apicius9

apicius9 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I have no idea, please do not start destroying your lenses because of my comment! ;) I was just wondering about wether the vignetting might be related to the narrow diameter. I have seen these lenses from $250 and up, I even saw someone trying to get $1,500 for the macro version. That's why I decided it was too expensive to experiment.

I don't even remember any lenses in c-mount that were longer than 150mm, but that doesn't say much either - I am not an expert, I just happened to come across a larger number of them some time ago.

Stefan

• Like Like x 1
  16. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    Barrie
    As I stated in my post, I was a very lucky recipient of this lens as a gift from a friend (someone who was using some of the 1st digital cameras to appear in the UK when you carried them in bits in a case). As an item that was made in the 1950's in Switzerland all I can say is that it is a beautiful example of the camera lens makers art.

I have actually just found an ebay auction for one that ended recently, the winning bid was £124 (UK).

This site has a short history and illustrates the full range of Kern Paillard D mount and C mount lenses from a 10mm (25mm was considered as a standard focal length) right up to the 150mm, the longest made in the C mount range. Bolex Collector | Lenses | Kern Paillard 1950s There are a couple of near complete auctions linked on there for shorter focal length lenses with prices considerably in excess of the example I quoted above.

Barrie

• Like Like x 1
  17. Crdome

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Stefan, -trust me, I wont. Just curious.

-Chrome

• Like Like x 1
  18. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    Barrie
    Bracket for Kern Paillard Yvar 150mm f/4 lens

I've finally found the shot of the Kern Paillard Yvar 150mm f/4 lens in it's home made mounting bracket. The nylon clamping screw seen in the 1st shot was replaced with a brass one having a nylon insert in the end to prevent marking of the barrel of the Yvar. That arrangement allows the lens and hence the camera to be turned for vertical shots whilst leaving every thing else about the set up in the configuration shown. The set up is now almost perfectly balanced fore and aft.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Crdome

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Here is a 250mm c-mount telephoto lens.

20. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Yea I know that auction , and that lens is a piece of garbage. Its actually missing the C mount there's no threads on the end and the lens is heavily fungused, most likely etched too.

I am kicking myself for not buying one of 2 "250mm Bouch & Lomb Sientific" C-mount lenses that were sold with a BIN price of $199. It was 2 years ago, before I felt the need to have such a lens.