1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Anybody tried replacing lens elements?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by inuini2005, Dec 2, 2013.

1. inuini2005

inuini2005 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2011
    I got an OM 55mm F1.2, which had a very tiny white speck in the rear element, the lenses that were adhered together, it does not affect IQ but as a perfectionist I am thinking of buying another 55 and replace that lens group, as the other lens elements are flawless.
    Would that change affect IQ ? Any ideas?

2. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    i would imagine it's quite easy to do. I once took out a rear element of a PEN 40mm f1.4 to clean oil off the aperture blades. that lens was a treat to work with.

also I removed the front element for cleaning some dust off a zuiko om 85mm f2. also a treat to work with and easy to reassemble.

just make sure everything is screwed down tight again and the lens elements are aligned correctly when reassembling.

3. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Even a slight amount of decentering of lens elements can affect image quality. If the spot isn't affecting IQ, I would just leave it be. Or, if it reallt bothers you, replace the entire lens,

4. inuini2005

inuini2005 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2011
    Ya I practiced disassembling lenses with my OM 85 F2 and 55 1.2.
    I am quite sure the process is okay. My concern is whether using another lens group would affect IQ?

5. steve16823

steve16823 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2011
    Brookfield, IL
    It's tough to know whether the manufacturing tolerances of an older lens like that would permit swapping out an element group without the risk of screwing up the alignment of the elements.

My advice is the same advice I give to all the perfectionists: Get over it! :) If the white speck does not affect IQ (and it doesn't) the only way it can go is down by messing with it.

If you really want to know, I would suggest e-mailing John Hermanson (www.zuiko.com). I've asked him DIY questions in the past and he's always provided great advice, and if it has anything to do with servicing manual-focus Olympus equipment, he knows the answer.

6. inuini2005

inuini2005 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2011
    Thanks for your advice, indeed I took it to a local master of lens servicing, he agreed that it's a speck of fungus but from his expert point of view, as it turns white already it should cause not much harm, and the point is it might not be removed as well. I personally tried to removed the lens elements and notice that the speck is located between two elements, of which the elements were adhered by glue, I got it second hand and I am sure it is not developed after my purchased, perhaps I overlooked it as it was too small. I think I can get over it but in case someday possible, I do wanna try to replace that adhered group. I just wonder would using another lens element with my original lens cause any issue. Thanks :)

7. mr_botak

mr_botak Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2011
    Reading, UK
    David
    I would think you would get away with it, but can't help thinking that if there's no apparent impact on IQ then the best plan is to leave well enough alone..