Anybody shooting tethered with the E-M5 MkII?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by nzdigital, Sep 11, 2015.

1. nzdigital

nzdigital Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2010
    New Zealand
    In my recent question on this forum I asked if it was possible to download images directly from wifi.... for a class I'll be teaching in a few days time on portraiture.

It seems that the answer is 'no' - unless you use something like the eye-fi card.

So, I've been experimenting with tethered shooting in capture and lightroom, and have got it working (yay).

Couple of questions arise from this though....

1: How long can the cable be for a decent signal? I've read 5 meters is about as long as you want to go over USB? Anyone have any experience with this?

2: The plastic door that covers the ports that the usb cable plugs in to gets rather stretched when in use. Does anyone have any experience with this breaking - or am I worrying overly much?

Thanks agin for all the answers in advance :biggrin:
  2. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 20, 2012
    Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia
    It is a very good idea to make sure the cable is supported at the tripod (velcro cable tie) but probably only the Olympus cable so the extension USB can detach if tripped on (hopefully before the tripod tips). I have heard that another guy tried the amplified 10 metre cable with success (but no guarantees as I bought one but haven't tried it).
  3. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    USB cable lengths are determined by the USB standards. To get to that USB 2.0 15 meter (15 feet) limit you need a very good USB cable for a consistent and reliable connection. That is why Tethered Tools is able to sell their cable for NZ$65.

I would guess the door on the Mark II is similar to the E-M1 and I just try not to add any extra stress to it. It has lasted well so far.
  4. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    You may notice that the door lifts about 1mm vertically when opening, which allows a slightly looser opening -- but still not 'floppy loose'.
  5. Pixelpated

Pixelpated Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 29, 2015
    Needing to tether to share product shots with a business associate over Skype using screen sharing drove me to do a bit of research into USB standards. This led me to believe that a boosted signal might be in order for USB tethering with an extension cable.

I just successfully tethered my E-M5II to Olympus capture with a 15 foot BlueRigger SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Type A Male to Type A Female Extension / Repeater Cable obtained from Amazon for $8.49.

I secured the cable to my tripod by using a twist tie to tie it to one of the holes in the tri-mount plate on my tripod.

Hope this information helps with your tether efforts.
  6. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    You can try this:

I suppose it works with the E-M5 II too even if it's not on the website list.

For long usb cables I used cheap ethernet RJ45 to USB adapters with 15 meters ethernet cables and was working fine for everything including USB 1.0 audio.

For high quality USB 2.0 asynch audio this solution was not working and I'm using a 10 meters Lindy USB active extension cable (there is a 20 meters too). Otherwise you should be able to daisy chain normal USB hubs with 5 meters cables in between (but you may need powered ones depending on power demand of the devices, never tried).