1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Anybody see this effect in a polarizer filter?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by walter_j, Apr 23, 2014.

1. walter_j

walter_j Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Hagwilget, B.C., Canada
    Walter
    Whats going on with this filter? Its a Hoya Pl-Cir. It looks like it's only working in the middle. I'm thinking it might be due to a flare on the the filter. E-M5 with O 12mm

Attached Files:

2. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    That's exactly how a polarizer works on a wide angle lens. Polarization effectiveness on darkening the sky depends on the angle from the sun. With a wide angle lens the effect will not be uniform. Maximum effect is at 90 degrees from the sun. Based on the shadows in your photo you are pointed almost exactly 90 degrees from the sun, so this is exactly what you should see!

• Like Like x 1
  3. walter_j

walter_j Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Hagwilget, B.C., Canada
    Walter
    Thanks. I didn't know that. I expected it to be uniform. It sure made the snow pop in the middle.

4. walter_j

walter_j Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Hagwilget, B.C., Canada
    Walter
    As a follow up question, how can I get a uniform effect that highlights the snow and clouds? nd filter?

5. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Post-processing software. Or a CPL with a barrière angle lens.

• Like Like x 1
  6. LowTEC

LowTEC Mu-43 Regular

Just don't use a polarizer on a lens wider than 14mm then you are unlikely to see this issue

• Like Like x 1
  7. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I see this quite a bit even at 14mm, but not as severe in this case.

• Like Like x 1
  8. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

One way to at least partially remedy the non-uniform polarisation is to use a polarizer (much) bigger than your lens filter size. On my 14mm I carry two step-up rings 46-52-58 and a 58mm CPL in the end, this also works as a basic lens hood - the effect is not as pronounced as for example on the 14mm end of the 14-150 with native 58mm thread. Well, I could be wrong, but that's the impression I get. I would need to do more thorough testing though. Although with the step up rings the CPL is further away so angle wise it's probably only minimally different to having a 46mm CPL.

• Like Like x 1
  9. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    Shoot at narrow angle and stitch back together. With that photo now you can recover with gradient/graduated processing

• Like Like x 1
  10. stargate

stargate Mu-43 Regular

Aug 14, 2013
    Greece
    Even with longer lenses and stitching, the effect would be the same because for a successfull panorama you need to keep the exposure fixed, so the sky left and right will still be lighter. However with carefull post processing (as lightmonkey suggests) and using the round gradient on a layer mask carefully, you can darken the sky enough so that it looks homogeneous.