Anybody see benefits to running dual Panasonic and Olympus camera bodies?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Jonathan F/2, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I started m43 mainly with Panasonic, but I feel like I was missing out on the Olympus side. So I decided to pick up an E-PL2 to see what all the talk is about! :biggrin:

Anyways, for those running dual systems, what sort of benefits and differences do you see? I'd be interested to get your opinions. Thanks!

• Like Like x 3
  2. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I started out with Panasonic too and then switched to E-PL2. A few months later I wanted a second body with evf so I bought G3, sold it 3 weeks later and sticking with Oly. Added E-PM1 recently. I find it very convinient to be able to share accessories between the two bodies: batteries, VF-2 and wireless shutter remote. Less bulk overall and also ease of use as both cameras have essentially same menu system, not to mention same files.

3. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    I have for the past year, and I really like it. Picked up a very inexpensive G1 to complement my E-PL1. Recently traded in the G1+kit lens for a G3 body, so I still have one of each.

There are some real advantages: the Oly is smaller, fits in my pocket, and has IBIS. I prefer to use MF lenses with it. The Panasonic is easier to handle, and sometimes I just enjoy the built-in EVF instead of monkeying around with the VF-2 on the Oly. I also enjoy the flip-out LCD on the G1/G3. When I travel by car I usually have both available, one with a kit 14-45 or 20mm and the other with either an UWA zoom or telephoto zoom.

4. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Accessories seem to be the big advantage for sticking with 1 brand within m4/3. You could share flashes, EVFs, cables and batteries (Oly at least) across your different bodies.

I may lose this advantage when the GFX1 is launched! :biggrin:

5. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    Mellow, how much did you get your G1 for? I never even considered that possibility, but now I'm thinking I might have been better off getting it over my E-PL1. For one thing, it would have come with the excellent 14-45 instead of the worst version of the 14-42(the Mk.1 with a plastic mount).

6. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

I thought about it. But I think it was GAS. :biggrin:

I can't find enough time to shoot that I become fully ( I mean totally ) proficient with just one camera. If I had a Pany as well I'd never get really good with either one. They're so different. I may have made a less than perfect decision as it is, as I think I would be better with the pany GH2 or 3 to come or whatever pany as I miss buttons and dials. But I do like the form factor of the EP3.

Having to sort through the menu to set up 2 sec delay shooting ( and other little like things ) SUCKS.

I have to carry a cheat sheet with me so I can get to the correct menu fast because if I had to actually flip flip flip I would through the camera against a rock. :eek:

7. If I carried two cameras of the same brand that worked the same way it would be kind of boring for me.

8. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

You're lucky. Your brain still works good. Mine not so much. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    WIth past models, I saw some real benefits to owning one of each, because the two brands had pretty distinct strengths and weaknesses. Today, at least with the most recent models, I'm not sure there's really very much benefit anymore.

In the past, Pany cameras were notably more responsive and quicker on the draw than the Olympus models, with faster AF, quicker shot to shot, etc. Olympus was better primarily in terms of having IBIS and was known for much better jpegs (for those who shot jpeg). I had an EP2 and a GF1 for awhile and liked the EP2 for its IBIS (and I just seem to have an affinity for the handling of the Oly cameras) but liked the GF1 for its much better responsiveness. I shoot raw so the jpeg quality was a non-issue for me.

With the current models, both have gone well beyond anything previous in terms of AF speed, shot to shot time, etc - the new models from both makers have seriously raised the bar for the other mirrorless competitors, so there's no real difference there. And Pany has supposedly made their jpegs more appealing for those who shoot jpeg. Not so much with the GH2, but with the G3 and I think with the GF3 as well. So, at this point, the primary benefit of Olympus is IBIS and the primary benefit of Pany is the mini-DSLR style bodies with built-in viewfinders (although the GF3 is still available without that in a very compact body).

At this point I'd probably just get two of whatever you're more comfortable with. I don't want a built in EVF and am very content to use a VF2 when necessary, so I'd probably go with two Olys if I was going to have two bodies. If you really prefer having maybe one body with a built in EVF and one more compact, you could go with a G3 and a GF3 or, if IBIS was important on one body, you could mix and match a G3 with the Oly of your choosing. There might still be some benefit to going with a mixed setup, but I think its much less compelling than it was even a year ago.

All of that said, I'm not sure where the EPL2 slots in there - I think its somewhat faster and more responsive than the earlier Oly cameras but not nearly as quick as the new lineup. And I don't know what Pany gear you have or had to know where that fits. It might be that if you have slightly older gear, the benefits I talked about from about a year ago would still apply. Better jpegs and IBIS in the EPL2 and maybe more responsiveness / EVF with your Pany body???

But for me, it made sense a year ago but wouldn't today. Everyone's mileage will likely vary on this one though...

-Ray

10. Ray Sachs

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Are you using the Super Control Panel? It makes that particular adjustment and just about everything else you can't get to directly with one button only a single button farther away. Just bring up the SCP and its ALL right there for you. You really shouldn't need a cheat sheet...

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  11. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I use an E-P1 for shooting with old, manual lenses. I don;t mind how slowly it works, and I love the jpegs. I shoot with a Panny the rest of time for the speed and familiarity of it (since it's my main camera).

12. winx14

winx14 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 1, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    I got the G3 for the articulating screen. Thought I might retire from Oly since I really liked the G3. Tried out my legacy lenses on the G3, and for some reason it didn't feel right. Well I guess the OM lenses should go on an Oly body anyway.

13. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    I love the SCP. I'm not really sure how other manufacturers handle settings, but I don't think any of them make it as easy as Oly does.

14. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    m43 is very unique in the camera world. It's the only current system with two companies backing the same lens mount standard.

The only Olympus body I tried was the E-P2 and that was not a very fun experience. It's a capable camera, but compared to the G3 it feels downright slow. So now I'm back in trying the E-PL2. I also picked up the 12 f/2 and 45 1.8 which is now my favorite portable lens combo (didn't pick up the 25 1.4 because I'm not a 50mm focal length fan).

15. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Funny when I first got my E-PL2 I didn't like SCP and prefered the regular way which is very similar to my Canon S90.
    With the recent acquisition of E-PM1 I pretty much had to enable SCP due to lack of external controls. After using it for two weeks I really like it a lot and enabled it on E-PL2 as well. I wouldn't go back to the old ways.

16. Ray Sachs

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    That's because it is. It was slow even compared to the GF1. The EPL2 is faster but still shouldn't compare to the G3. But any of the three NEW Olympus bodies are very competitive with the new Pany bodies. Nearly the same performance, a little better here, a little worse there, but basically the same.

-Ray

17. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    E-PL2 is noticeably more responsive than E-P2. I've used both bodies side by side for two weeks. E-P2 is slower not only in AF but also in focus selection point, memory card writing, buffer clearing and pretty much every aspect of camera responsiveness. I sold it immidiately after my vacation was over. It was really a pain to use compared to E-PL2.
    I've also owned G3 with E-PL2 at the same time. G3 has faster AF but similar shutter lag and overall responsiveness is pretty much on par with E-PL2 which like I said is already responsive enough.

18. Don't worry, it still gives me a few head-scratching moments from time-to-time. Let's call it brain training.

19. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    I have a rather unique camera bag- it contains two camera's, one Olympus E-P2 and the other the Panasonic G3.

As of now, the G3 has the 20mm f1.7, and the Olympus E-P3 has the 14-150mm.

I'm going to sell the 14-150mm zoom, because my style of shooting really doesn't need the long end of the Oly zoom.

That would leave me with the Oly having the Olympus OM-> :43: adapter and the Oly OM 28mm f2.8.. supplemented by the Oly OM 50mm 1.8.

The G3 will get the Voightlander :43:->Nikon F mount with Nikon 28mm 2.8 AI-s and supplemented with the Nikon 50mm f1.4 AI-s.

The Panny 20mm will be used in nightime and difficult lighting situations with AF.

Both have EVF's which make using MF lenses less of an effort, and I got the high-end adapters because the aluminum from the Fotodiox adapters look prone to galling.

20. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    How does the e-pl1 compare to the epl2 and ep2?

I do find it somewhat slow, but not unusable so.