1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Anybody not want an OM-D?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Jonathan F/2, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I was thinking today and realized I don't really want the OM-D. I like my modular configuration on my E-PM1 and I think I'd prefer getting an E-PM2, but with an upgraded sensor and other improved goodies. That way I can use all my same batteries and current VF-2.

I got my Pen not so I could get a DSLR replacement, but to have a Pen camera. Anybody feeling the same? :smile:

• Like Like x 5
  2. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    I want a ep3 with a better sensor!

3. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I want every camera.

• Like Like x 9
  4. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    Haha... That is the perfect question.

5. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    I'm reserving judgement until we know what the OM-D really is.

6. luguidomanski

luguidomanski Mu-43 Regular

Apr 11, 2010
    Curitiba, Brazil
    Luiz
    Make it 2 of us.

7. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    ^^ what he said.....

Gordon

8. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    blasphemy, you have to want all the cameras!

(i'm waiting, and hoping to hell it's good)

9. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    I want an EP3 with a better sensor. That being said, no one has a clue yet what the OM-D series is actually. Is it an PEN with Built in EVF... or something significantly more...

What sensor is in it?
    Who made it?
    Is it really a 2step improvement?
    Will it be used in future generations of the PENs or solely an OM-D series sensor?
    What is the video quality of the OM-D? .. surely can't be worse..
    Base ISO: iso 50 or 100 native???
    Shutter: 1/8000s????

If the answer is the OM-D becomes their flagship line with a unique sensor that won't be used in the PENs.. then yes... i'd probably get an OM-D. Is base ISO improved to 100 or even 500.. then yes.

If the sensor becomes available for future PENs.. then I'd go with the next gen PENs.

PEN = no viewfinder, rangefinder clean body: My personal preference.
    OM-D = EVF builtin, weather sealed.

10. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    I just ordered the larger grip for my E-P3, that should fix my one gripe. I'll still probably jump on the OM-D wagon though...

11. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    It will have to really blow me away to get me to partp with my EPM1.

The EPM1 is a great size for me, is really affordable, and has everything I need.

What I want (as opposed to need) is an integrated VF and more DR. If its the same sensor, in built EVF, larger and costs $700+ more, then I will likely pass. If it has both an integrated EVF and a better sensor, then I'll be tempted.

12. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    I'm not going to buy it, but that doesn't mean I don't want it :) I'll happily accept it as a gift. The next camera body I buy with my own money is going to be roughly the same size and form factor as my GF1, but with an articulating screen so I can shoot the 7-14 on the floor easily, and usable if not great ISO 6400. Odds are good it'll be a Panasonic.

13. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    The E-PM1 for is what I finally settled on after trying several mirrorless bodies. It just ticks all the right boxes at such an affordable price. I've been comparing images from my Nikon D300 and E-PM1 and to be honest I think I like the 12mp sensor in the E-PM1 more!

14. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    I want the OMD that exists in my head but I can't afford it.

Fred

15. rex87

rex87 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2011
    winnipeg, mb
    x3:smile:

16. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    I wouldn't want it if its only significant benefits were a 16 MP sensor and weather sealing.

But add a built in viewfinder, a little sharper and more detailed still photos and video capabilities equal or superior to the Panasonic GH2, then I would definately want it.

17. yhbae

yhbae Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2011
    All I need is an E-PL3 with the OM-D sensor and some hand grip. May be more sophisticated IBIS as well. I wouldn't mind getting built-in VF but not on much larger body....

18. FastCorner

FastCorner Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2011
    After getting a G2, I realize that an important missing feature for me on a GF1 was high res EVF and a sizable grip. But the thing that bugs me about the G2 ergonomics is the overhang of the flash housing, which makes changing lenses that much harder. If the OM-D has better sensor, plus high res EVF, plus good grip, minus the overhang, and minus the rattlesnake, I think I might get it. Otherwise I'm fine where I am with bodies.

19. zerotiu

zerotiu Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2011
    Indonesia-Singapore
    how can you know you don't want an ttOM-D if it hasn't been released ? :biggrin:

I myself will wait until ..um..maybe OM-D2 or 3 lol

20. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nah won't be me. Never had an Olympus and probably never will.