1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Anybody not want an OM-D?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Jonathan F/2, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, USA
    I was thinking today and realized I don't really want the OM-D. I like my modular configuration on my E-PM1 and I think I'd prefer getting an E-PM2, but with an upgraded sensor and other improved goodies. That way I can use all my same batteries and current VF-2.

I got my Pen not so I could get a DSLR replacement, but to have a Pen camera. Anybody feeling the same? :smile:

• Like Like x 5
  2. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    I want a ep3 with a better sensor!

3. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I want every camera.

• Like Like x 9
  4. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    Haha... That is the perfect question.

5. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    I'm reserving judgement until we know what the OM-D really is.

6. luguidomanski

luguidomanski Mu-43 Regular

Apr 11, 2010
    Curitiba, Brazil
    Luiz
    Make it 2 of us.

7. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    ^^ what he said.....

Gordon

8. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    blasphemy, you have to want all the cameras!

(i'm waiting, and hoping to hell it's good)

9. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    I want an EP3 with a better sensor. That being said, no one has a clue yet what the OM-D series is actually. Is it an PEN with Built in EVF... or something significantly more...

What sensor is in it?
    Who made it?
    Is it really a 2step improvement?
    Will it be used in future generations of the PENs or solely an OM-D series sensor?
    What is the video quality of the OM-D? .. surely can't be worse..
    Base ISO: iso 50 or 100 native???
    Shutter: 1/8000s????

If the answer is the OM-D becomes their flagship line with a unique sensor that won't be used in the PENs.. then yes... i'd probably get an OM-D. Is base ISO improved to 100 or even 500.. then yes.

If the sensor becomes available for future PENs.. then I'd go with the next gen PENs.

PEN = no viewfinder, rangefinder clean body: My personal preference.
    OM-D = EVF builtin, weather sealed.

10. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    I just ordered the larger grip for my E-P3, that should fix my one gripe. I'll still probably jump on the OM-D wagon though...

11. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    It will have to really blow me away to get me to partp with my EPM1.

The EPM1 is a great size for me, is really affordable, and has everything I need.

What I want (as opposed to need) is an integrated VF and more DR. If its the same sensor, in built EVF, larger and costs $700+ more, then I will likely pass. If it has both an integrated EVF and a better sensor, then I'll be tempted.

12. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    I'm not going to buy it, but that doesn't mean I don't want it :)  I'll happily accept it as a gift. The next camera body I buy with my own money is going to be roughly the same size and form factor as my GF1, but with an articulating screen so I can shoot the 7-14 on the floor easily, and usable if not great ISO 6400. Odds are good it'll be a Panasonic.

13. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, USA
    The E-PM1 for is what I finally settled on after trying several mirrorless bodies. It just ticks all the right boxes at such an affordable price. I've been comparing images from my Nikon D300 and E-PM1 and to be honest I think I like the 12mp sensor in the E-PM1 more!

14. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    I want the OMD that exists in my head but I can't afford it.

Fred

15. rex87

rex87 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2011
    winnipeg, mb
    x3:smile:

16. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    I wouldn't want it if its only significant benefits were a 16 MP sensor and weather sealing.

But add a built in viewfinder, a little sharper and more detailed still photos and video capabilities equal or superior to the Panasonic GH2, then I would definately want it.

17. yhbae

yhbae Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2011
    All I need is an E-PL3 with the OM-D sensor and some hand grip. May be more sophisticated IBIS as well. I wouldn't mind getting built-in VF but not on much larger body....

18. FastCorner

FastCorner Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2011
    After getting a G2, I realize that an important missing feature for me on a GF1 was high res EVF and a sizable grip. But the thing that bugs me about the G2 ergonomics is the overhang of the flash housing, which makes changing lenses that much harder. If the OM-D has better sensor, plus high res EVF, plus good grip, minus the overhang, and minus the rattlesnake, I think I might get it. Otherwise I'm fine where I am with bodies.

19. zerotiu

zerotiu Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2011
    Indonesia-Singapore
    how can you know you don't want an ttOM-D if it hasn't been released ? :biggrin:

I myself will wait until ..um..maybe OM-D2 or 3 lol

20. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nah won't be me. Never had an Olympus and probably never will.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.