1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Anybody looking foward to adapting lenses on the OM-D E-M5?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Jonathan F/2, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm actually really excited to adapt lenses to the E-M5 when it comes through. Is anyone else excited? The IBIS through the VF, better high ISO and overall handling should be quite a treat! Anybody planning on using their adapted glass once you receive your OMD? :wink:

2. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    I know I posted these photos at my other thread here, but might as well post it here, too: The Om-D with the Leica APO 400mm

7075688063_b556399195_b.

6929612802_3fa37eb22b_b.

Ok, I'll also post the ones with the Zeiss Distagon Compact Prime Cinelens:

6929612532_14a5a389d3_b.

6929612308_c08b39ae74_b.

Thanks to Matt Duclos

3. lowincash

lowincash Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I AM! :D

I already bought the adapter to use, just waiting for camera now lol I have a few old Minolta lenses, 50mm 1.4, 58mm 1.4 and 135mm 2.8. I especially want to try it on the 135mm to see how well the IBIS work on that lens.

4. okinana

okinana Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Not interested. I have sold all my adapted lenses except for 2 that are in my drawers somewhere.

For now, I will be using just native lenses. I am too lazy to use manual focus and they (most, not all) are much heavier than the native lenses. I have nothing against adapted lenses or the people who like using them. This is just my personal choice.

5. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have my Nikon 28 2.8 AIS & 50 1.4 AIS ready to go! I'm debating whether or not I want to get a 105 2.5, 135 2.8, 135 3.5 or a 200 f/4 AIS on the long end? All have their pros and cons. Can't decide!

6. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I'd vote for the 105 or the 135. I tried the 200/4 some time back and wasn't very pleased re: sharpness. It's also pretty big (Olympus 75-300-sized).

The 105/2.5 is a lot shorter, and quite sharp. The extra f-stop helps. I've read good things about the 135/2.8 (less good regarding the 135/3.5).

Cheers,

DH

7. pictor

pictor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    I use some manual focus lenses on my E-PL1 and don't know any reasons, why I should not enjoy doing this on the E-M5. However, I will order the 12mm, the 45mm and the 75mm lenses, if I buy the E-M5. Using manual focus lenses can be fun, but getting precise focus with shallow depth of field can be rather hard without using a tripod.

There are several reasons for using adapted lenses. Some of them are being used due to the lack of native lenses. For example, there is no native 100mm macro lens. Other manual focus lenses are being used because I don't own the native lens yet or the manual focus lens is much better than the native lens. But there is an other reason: Using manual focus lenses don't restrict myself to a single system. I could switch to a NEX (or add a NEX) easily, since the only thing I would have to do is buying new adapters.

8. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks for the heads up! I'll probably pick the 105 or one of the 135 variants. I've tried both the 105 and 135 2.8 already both are incredibly sharp, with the 105 being tack as a sharp! The only reason I'm considering the 135 3.5 version is due to it being quite lightweight, but with the grip option on the OM-D, that might be a moot point.

9. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    For me it's the price and compatibility issue. My 28 & 50 are compatible with my Nikon kit and acquiring MF glass is significantly cheaper. And for all the talk about modern coating, sharp glass is still sharp regardless of age! For someone running two systems it's a good way to keep 100% lens compatibility.

I find with the newer addition of digital zoom which can be programmed in a FNC or REC button, it's made life much easier to adjust critical focus without having to go to the magnify view.

10. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    I figured out the other day that if I shot an image with a 300mm lens on the PEN E-PL2 that I would be able to get the same size (in pixels) 100% crop of the subject (i.e. birding) using just a 265mm lens on the OM-D E-M5.

11. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Didn't you go on a buying/selling whirlwind previously, buying and selling multiple copies of various lenses? It's hard to make the price argument when one can only wonder how much money you've lost to flippant purchases' depreciation, paypal fees, shipping, etc. I already had the gear sitting around pre m4/3, but looking at the lenses that some people buy, they're losing money by buying adapted lenses! Look at how many people on this forum bought like 8 or more 50mm lenses, at $20 up to $150 each. Add in each different adapter, and you're looking at a serious overall investment, both in money and time. Buying the native lens from the outset would have been cheaper.

As you can see from my signature, I'm all for adapted lenses. Just, don't forget to look at the big picture once in a while.

12. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    FWIW, the 135/2.8 AI/AI-S versions are the same size as the various 135/3.5s.

DH

13. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    I have both the OM 135 f2.8 and the F3.5.I never really gave them a good test because they were so jumpy with my G3.They should be a lot more fun to use on the OMD because of the stabilized EVF.However, I love my Oly 40 - 150 which makes these redundent.I also recently acquired the Oly 45 F1.8 and while it is all that everyone says it is,I still prefer using my old 50's like the OM 1.8,Nikkor-H f2,or the tiny series E.I just love the connection to the camera I get with manual aperature/focus,not to mention the quality and craftmanship of the old lenses.Generally, the new lenses are just butt ugly,particularly the Oly 45.I do have a drawer full of these legasy lenses, but I have mostly restricted myself to Oly and Nikon so don't need a bunch of adapters.I would love to own some of the Voitlanders such as the 35 1.4,25 .95,maybe a 15, but they cost too much.I own and use the Voitlander color-skopar 25 f4.It is a small work of art and is a zone focusing king.
    So, yes, I am looking forward to trying all of my lenses out on the new body.Isn't that part of the charm of this format?

• Like Like x 1
  14. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    One o the main reasons I went m43 is fro the adapted lens use, and with the E-M5 with IBIS I'm very much excited about the next chapter in using those.

15. My main concern at the moment is how my Panasonic lenses will work on the E-M5.

• Like Like x 1
  16. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Add a vote for the 135 f2.8. Mine is OM. I also have the 300mm f4.5. Both lenses work nicely on the E-M5 with IS and Magnify for fine tuning focus. What a godsend!

17. heedpantsnow

heedpantsnow Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 24, 2011
    I am well aware of the arguments against adapted legacy lenses vs. modern native lenses, but the difference is that I really love shooting with them! If I take that out, I don't feel as much interaction with the camera and it just feels like a glorified P&S.

18. montaggio

montaggio Mu-43 Regular

Looking forward to adapting my old Canon FD lenses. Primarily the 50/1.4 and 135/2.5. I had ordered a FD to Nikon adapter about 2 years ago. Instead they shipped me a FD to M43. I guess it was fate that I would eventually pick up a M43 and use my old lenses.

19. sdsyver

sdsyver Mu-43 Regular

Mar 14, 2012
    Northern Alberta
    Shawn
    As soon as I ordered my OM-D I went onto ebay and ordered an a Nikon 4/3 adapter for my 50mm 1.4D and my Tokina 100mm 2.8 Macro. Looking forward to using them on the new system. :thumbup:

20. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    I have 3 legacy OM Zuiko lenses (24mm f2.8, 50mm f1.8, 50mm macro f3.5) that I use adapted to my E-PL2. I think they would look and work great on the OM-D. But OTOH, one of the great advantages of the OM-D is the lighting fast AF in which case manual lenses would be useless.

Since I shoot a lot of street, manual lenses are a two edged sword for me. On one hand you have fast glass and "character". OTOH you really have to use zone focusing most of the time and size is a consideration.

I would very much like to see photos taken with the OM-D and some of the fastest manual OM Zuiko lenses though. :smile: