Anybody get the Pany 45-175 X lens?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Jonathan F/2, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm thinking of picking up this lens. I had the 45-200, didn't like it much on the long end. I read the 45-175 does better. Anybody on here get this lens? I'd be interested in some real world reviews. Thanks!

2. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    Ordered and got one about a month ago, see this thread. In terms of sharpness it may be a little bit better at the long end, but first and foremost it has more contrast, the images have more sparkle to them.

Meanwhile it has become clear that the OIS of the lens (and of the new X 14-42mm for that matter) has some serious issues; in fact I've never seen anyone saying it doesn't have issues, so it looks like a design problem. The problem is that the lens yields unsharp pictures with distinctly double features in a shutter speed range between roughly 1/60 and 1/160s. I've made an inquiry with Panasonic Netherlands and they told me to watch out for a firmware update.

This was an experiment for me to see what happens when you jump in early on a new product. Not gonna do that again...

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'll primarily be using this on an Olympus, but it kinda sucks to hear the OIS is sketchy across the board.

4. Dede

Dede Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2011
    Does anyone know how these lenses handle IS on Olympus cameras? As for I've heard, the lenses simply use IBIS and automatically disable the panasonic IS, right? That would basically mean that this problem with the IS wouldn't occur for Olympus cameras, right?

Thanks

5. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    That's what I gathered from my research on the lens. I'm a little disappointed Panasonic would release a lens that wasn't ready.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Dede

Dede Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2011
    Well, as long as the lens simply let's me use IBIS, I'm perfectly fine with it. It is true, that there should be the option to turn the IS from pana on, I wouldn't use it anway. So basically when this lens has no problems with IBIS or anything like that, and the overall image quality is quite good, I'm buying it!

Thanks for the reply!

7. AbsolutKev

AbsolutKev Mu-43 Regular

Nov 6, 2011
    Johor, malaysia
    tested the lens with a buddy bout 2 months back. he had a copy from pana singapore for review. we tested it with oly bodies, ep1 n ep3. what we found out was the IBIS is not as effective as the Power OIS. jus though i share.

Even for the 100-300, the mega OIS is more effective than IBIS.

refer to the review @:
    Review: Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH Power OIS power zoom

8. pault

pault Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Firmware Update

Hi, Just noticed that a firmware update will be available 17th Nov, to correct OIS issues

• Like Like x 1
  9. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    I did a review / user experience on it here:-
    Soundimageplus: Panasonic 45-175mm X lens review

• Like Like x 2
  10. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Finally got my 45-175 X. What a small lens! OIS doesn't work, but IBIS works fine. It was dark when I got it, I'll put it through it's paces tomorrow. I thought Panasonic's X branding would look cheesy, but to be honest the new look of the Panasonic lenses look good. It's also nice they're all black and not that grey color.

Here's a snap shot to show how tiny it is for a telephoto zoom next to the 17 pancake:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    man, that is somewhat tempting. I have nothing longer than 45 and waiting for the 35-100 might be a while, heh.

12. Dede

Dede Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2011
    Hey Jonathan F/2,

looking forward to what your thoughts about the lens are! :) Btw, could you share some of your experiences on how the lens handels on the E-PM1?! (That is an E-PM1, right? ;D)

Thanks in advance

13. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I traded up my 45 1.8 for the 45-175. I realized all my 45mm shots were mostly taken in the day time and I'd be better off with a compact tele. I'm not a fan of the 45-200, but I didn't want the bulk of the 100-300. I think the 45-175 hit the sweet spot. I considered the Olympus 40-150, but I don't like plastic mount lenses and I wanted a fixed length lens. I wish it was Sunday already, I think this would be a perfect Farmer's Market lens!

14. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    In terms of handling it fits the E-PM1 well. The lens is really small. It looks big on the E-PM1, but the E-PM1 is also small! The zooming action is smooth, more responsive using the zoom ring as opposed to the switch on the side. Build quality is nice, but very light weight. It uses a 46mm sized filter. IBIS works fine with the lens, though I wish OIS could be engaged on an Olympus body. There's a nice quality feeling to the barrel. Panasonic is really pushing their lenses and it shows. Though at this point I still prefer Olympus bodies! :wink:

I'll take some shots in the daytime tomorrow to give my impressions of the image quality. :smile:

15. Dede

Dede Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2011
    Alright, thanks for the replies. I just wonder, whether the 45-175mm lumix x lens is worth about 200 bucks more than the Olympus 40-150mm lens? I mean, the lumix x lens has a metal mount, but is something like that worth 200 bucks more? Are there any factors which might have an impact on the decision?

Thanks in advance