1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Anybody get a Sony A7II yet?

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Jonathan F/2, Dec 15, 2014.

1. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    For those who've received the A7II, I'd love to hear first impressions and see sample photos. I'd also like to hear how well it functions with both native and adapted lenses. Thanks!

2. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
    Mine is coming within hours........

I already have the A7R and the dynamic range is simply amazing.
    Downside? The lenses are going to be bigger & heavier no matter
    what. That said, I almost always reached for my legacy glass
    whether I was going to use the E-M1 or the A7R so now that the
    A7II has IBIS I thought that I would go full frame all the way.

3. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Love to hear your initial feedback when you receive it!

4. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I'm kind of torn on the A7 line. I'm really not prepared to spend a whole lot of money on a new system even if I were to, say, sell off my micro four-thirds gear. But if the original A7 dropped below $1000 I could see maybe picking that up and limiting myself to two zooms and two primes. One problem is that one never knows how long Sony will stick with a line and continue to support it.

5. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm not exactly sure how the A7II would fit in my kit, since the FE line doesn't really have appealing glass to me and it's neither compact enough to function as a small travel kit which my M43 setup does admirably. There are only two things I'm interested in and that's shooting at high ISO at slow shutter speeds for street work and MF glass shooting. Though I already have a full Nikon FX setup, so the logical step would be to pick up a D750, but the 5-axis IBIS of the A7II is what has my attention. The A7/R/S never really peaked my interest.

If Sony releases an A7000 with the 5-axis IBIS at a cheaper price (with an APS-C sensor), that might be a option down the road especially with a speed booster/lens turbo.

6. stripedrex

stripedrex Do or do not. There is no try.

Jun 8, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Alex
    Got mine Friday! Amazon is crazy with their shipping. Sometimes I wonder if they have invented teleportation.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ageslani/sets/72157649341602808/

Anyhow, here are some pix with mixed E-M1 / A7II. I have to say the A7II feels like a full frame E-M1. If you look at the end of the album I have slowish shutter speeds testing IBIS and it works similar to the E-M1. I think the E-M1 may be a bit better. I can't pull off 1 second exposures so far with the Sony. Also I'm getting mixed results with IBIS on video. I see that jitter people are reporting on the 55mm but not on my adapted lenses so much so curious if that's a 5-axis problem and not a 3-axis? If that's the case I foresee a firmware fix in the near future.

I definately see my self using the A7II more and more and less E-M1. My 35mm 2.8 is all of the sudden even more useful in low light. If there were already 2.8 zooms on the Sony I may have already reduced my m43 kit to 2-3 primes and a superzoom. Once money frees up a bit I'm going to try the Alpha 2.8 zooms and see how that works out. The LAEA4 (Sony Alpha to E-Mount adapter with AF) does really well once I realized I have to calibrate the focus! I find I can fill the lens voids pretty well albiet heavily (hence my need to keep m43 with just a few lenses). Feel free to ask me anything about it, I'll do my best to answer.

My ultimate goal would be m43 as my light kit with a small body (epm2 / gm5 type body), small high quality lenses (p20 / o45 / p14-140) and that's it. My Sony full frame would be everything else high quality. High quality primes, 2.8 zooms, high performance body, and a few flahses to capture the best possible quality and most versatility (sports, low light, creamy portraits, etc).

** Note please feel free to comment on my photos. I'm a learning photographer so any tips on composition, exposure, post processing etc would be greatly appreciated, pm to avoid messing topic =) **

Example IBIS in action. Zeiss 85mm F1.4 (Sony adapted lens with AF) exposed to F1.7 at 1/20th of a second. Tack sharp where I'm focused:
    15829678708_540da63877_c. Dog Shoot by AGeslani, on Flickr

• Like Like x 6
  7. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I think that you'll have 1 sec exposure issues because of the size and force of he shutter. From what I can tell the A7II shutter is dampened better than the A7, but not sure if that makes much of a difference.

8. stripedrex

Jun 8, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Alex
    Possible I suppose but I have the electronic first curtain shutter turned on. Which is a camera purchase requirement for me. If I recall Olympus claimed 5 stops of stabilization and Sony claims about 4.5 (which I think is the e-m5 claim).

• Like Like x 1
  9. hodad66

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
    I haven't played with the images yet but in the hand the new A72 feels great.
    I was using IBIS on a very heavy, Contax N 70-300 (set it at 300) and on my
    Nikon 180/2.8 and with a half press of the shutter it felt like I was focusing on
    the E-M1... nice and steady. I never had the A7 but the shutter sound is WAY
    quieter than my A7R. I honestly didn't shoot anything interesting as it was late
    afternoon but we shall see.

• Like Like x 2
  10. DigitalD

DigitalD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    • Like Like x 2
  11. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    i am still on the fence about the whole sony A7 thing... My partner, a Leica shooter with her own credit card/bank balance nabbed a A7s for a good price... she spent what she saved on a Leica M to e-mount adaptor that allows closers focusing than the normal leica norm of 1m

i pitched in with adaptors for Nikon, OM, and Yashica/Contax for which I have, perhaps if not a premium collection, a respectable collection of legacy lenses from 24/2 to 105 /2.8,

In the few days I have been back rom the US and have been reunited with the legacy lenses... mainly OM era zuikos. First impressions that the legacy lenses and the focus peaking is a good match, though it has to be learned. Its still the best legacy lens/digital body experience I have yet fond

given the shoddy sony lens line up I am still torn whether my omd-m1 with very fine prime lenses actually offers better images in real terms than a sony with a bunch of classic lenses

edit.... that sentence was not what I wanted to say...It should have read that I am yet to be convinced that the A7 with legacy lenses actually beats the OMD with its dedicated lenses

end of the day... it ain't the camera

K

• Like Like x 4
  12. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    The LAEA4 adapter does work remarkably well and gives focus speeds at least as fast as my A7r. It is slightly crippled by restricting the pdaf points to only about 10% of the sensor - I think Sony could do better. You are right about needing to calibrate your lenses. I bought the Zeiss 135 f1.8 and did half a shoot before finding my autofocus was a fraction off. Fined tuned and it is now great.

13. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks for the input so far guys. So in terms of functionality it seems to work fairly well from the sounds of it.

14. hodad66

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
    Here are three shots, nothing special & I don't do "testing".... these were with the Contax N 70-300mm
    which is very heavy and perhaps soft at 300.

15845597527_82237bd13e_c.

16029401771_4195165915_c.

15843921138_d87621bd5f_c.

compared to an image from the A7R....... same lens but closer

16004043912_b26a2b1409_b.

they seem soft..... of course the a7II has an AA filter.....

more testing with other lenses.... I have no, native FE mount lenses.

• Like Like x 1
  15. stripedrex

Jun 8, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Alex
    That's a sick lens, you have any pix from it you can share? And yeah man, sadly it took me months of thinking the autofocus was just bad before I read you needed to calibrate your lenses =/. Speed of autofocus did seem to differ from lens to lens using the motor. I have a 70-210 beercan (Minolta) F4 (got for $75! lol) and it's pretty slow. My 85 1.4 is in the middle and the Minolta 35 F2 (LOVE this lens, trying to get more minolta lenses over time that have this look) is fastest.

16. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Yes it is a reasonably insane lens. You get face recognition with the adapter but no eye-af. I only just got the lens - and only bought it when they announced the IBIS in the A7ii - I dont really get fast primes without ibis. I havent really used it in anger. The adapter is actually wuite useful for this lens because it also serves as a tripod mount.

Here is a snapshot of my GF's mutt showing some pretty serious bokeh at f1.8

zeiss_1_of_3_.

And here is a studio shot I did of my GF yesterday.

zeiss_2_of_3_.

And here is a close up of the unedited raw file. This shot was taken at f2.8

zeiss_3_of_3_.

• Like Like x 4
  17. DigitalD

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    I am in the exact same boat. I think we need a new thread just talking about "How would I pair down my M43 kit"! :D
    Now that I have 2 heavy hitting cameras in my hands I feel like Im missing what I originally got into mirrorless for in the first place. Small size, big quality. So my thought was to downsize to an EM10 or used EM5 (under $500), or possibly an EP5. Or do I go even smaller and go EPL5 and basically use my O17, P25, O45 and O40-100 and sell the O12-40 pro and maybe exchange the P25 for the O25 to really leverage the kit size. But as bulky as the 12-40 is for a small miracles its a very useful lens and quality far beyond any zoom I have ever used and on par with my long gone Canon EF 24-70 2.8L.

So what lenses do I need to outfit the Sony to make up the difference and add some good AF capability to the Sony kit. Am I getting into a lot of size, money and bulk to have proper AF lenses for a Full Frame Sony camera being that the native mount light weight lenses are so few and far between?

I recently posted some pics from a Wedding I did using the EM1 and AF lenses along with my Sony A7 and legacy MF lenses here: http://www.talkemount.com/showthread.php?t=9436 I really enjoyed having the A7 along with the legacy lenses but if I had to choose only one it would have to be the EM1 with my current lens lineup.

Yep my reply to Stripedrex is exactly the same sentiment. Take look at the thread I posted and let me know what you think and what you would want from the 2 systems.

The A7II is probably the most capable all around Full Frame mirror-less camera to date. even if its competition is its own family. For the price you can't beat it... for now.... Though, if this was my first foray into Sony FF mirrorless I would probably find a good condition used A7 and blow the extra money on some really good glass and experiment. (Basically what I did 7 months ago) The sensor performs the exact same and if the camera doesn't click with you, you won't lose much of anything by turning it around and selling it. Though if the price doesn't bother you, go for the A7II ! ;)

18. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've already paired down my M43 kit to a very small and concise kit in order to free up funds for another mirrorless system. Though what's kept me sticking with M43 is IBIS and the lens selection. I currently have a FF Nikon kit and would like to have that same FF look with my mirrorless camera as well. The A7II combines both the IBIS and FF sensor, the only thing holding me back is the lack of native AF lenses. I also hate that Sony either makes you buy their average quality Sony branded glass or you have to pay the premium for the Zeiss lenses. It then swings me back around and I think, I'd just be better off buying a Nikon D750 for near that same amount!

But now there are rumors floating around of an upcoming Nikon FX mirrorless, so I'm thinking it might be worth holding off. If it has anything like the Nikon 1 mirrorless AF and burst rate, I can forgo IBIS for better AF and handling! :eek: :biggrin:

http://nikonrumors.com/2014/12/16/interesting-nikon-filed-a-patent-for-a-full-frame-mirrorless-lens.aspx/

• Like Like x 1
  19. DigitalD

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    Interesting. Well the good thing is these are not bad problems to have. With so many options out there its hard to make a 'bad' decision!!

20. hodad66

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
    • Like Like x 5