Anybody ever considered moving to Sony?

biza48

Mu-43 Regular
I currently shot E-M1s, one with the Oly 12 (landscapes, seascapes), one with the Voigtlander 42.5 (portraits, landscape). I am happy with the results, but I am waiting for the Sony A7 series to mature a bit more.

Then I may change. The combination of Sony FF sensors and Zeiss glass is alluring:)

In the meantime, waiting for the Voigtlander 10.5mm lens...

zulfur666

Mu-43 Veteran
one question I have though, would the Sony 70-200 f/4 on a A6000 then have the DOF of a f/6? Meaning its actually "worse" maybe unnoticeable margin than the the new Olympus 40-150 f/2.8? And has anybody handled the Sony 70-200 on a A6000 or other NEX body? I also don't see a extender available for that lens from Sony. I saw a video and while it looks funny I not sure how it would actually feel vs the E-M1 and 40-150 combo?

zulfur666

Mu-43 Veteran
you guys are probably right Sony has to ripen its lens availability and battery drain problem (even it has been reported turning wifi off solves the problem) and see how many times they may change their mounts and wait for 2-3 generations of the A7's to mature and wait and see reliability.

Serhan

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Yes, 70-200 lens on A6000 has similar dof of 40-150 on EM1. You have to try them in hand to decide which body is more comfortable for you. For bags and street use, I prefer the no hump rf design cameras, eg nex-6/gx7/gm1 instead of A7R/em1, but dslr shape handles better with bigger lenses...

EM1 has better seal vs Sony will give you better dynamic range and more pixels with bigger sensors. Sizewise good lenses are in similar sizes for both systems, and usually girt of the lens changes btw systems eg to provide a better coverage for the sensors plus IS in some of the lenses...

M43 has a more mature lens system esp with 2 manufacturers, but so far Sony covered the wide, mid and tele zooms in a year of A7 release. Sony is pushing high end FF lenses esp FF mirrorless has no competition so far and Zeiss is with them eg with Loxia line, not like PanaLeica relation where Leica went with apsc mirrorless. Also the Sony's higher end ff commitment is the reason nex/A6000 crowd is complaining but there is some decent coverage there. So far Sony has 3 years plan (not very clearly defined) for FF mirrorless lenses and has completed the first year, so it will take 2 more years to have couple dozen FF mirrorless lenses. However Sony is not changing mounts, but producing apsc and ff at the same time using same mount (e/ef) similar to other manufacturers. That is why even Sigma said that A7 mount is too tight eg designed for apsc. Both systems has their dslr lenses that you can use with adapters also... So use the system/lenses that you need and comfortable with. There is no perfect system or camera, since everybody's needs are different... At least we have some different choices now with mirrorless systems. I paid more money to 4 years old used Canon 5D classic then what A7 is selling for, so it is good for the users that we have competing systems...

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
I have been, and continue to be, tempted by the A7. The increased dynamic range, resolution, and lack of crop factor with legacy lenses are all really appealing to me, and the grip and control layout feels really good in my hands. I like having the 3 command dials, and an exposure compensation dial that works in M mode with auto ISO. That's important to me!

But there are a bunch of other issues that I find extremely disappointing. I'm not tremendously concerned about the lack of native lenses, because I can't justify spending that kind of cash on their fairly humdrum AF lenses (the 55/1.8 being the only standout in terms of quality). As a result, the quality of their manual focus features are really important. I found that the focus peaking on the A7 was actually really poor. I only tested it with the kit 28-70, but even that should be sharper than most legacy lenses, so it should be representative of its abilities. I found that depending on the settings (high/med/low) it would either be full of false positives (high), or when magnified (low), wouldn't show any peaking at all. On top of that, the lack of a touch-screen for setting the magnification point means that in practice, manually focusing with the A7 seems to be no faster than with my GX1 that doesn't even have peaking. Compared to the GX7 which let me quickly and reliably get focus using a combination of peaking and touch magnification with my old Takumar 50mm/1.4 even wide open, it's a lot harder to justify.

The other thing is that the low-light performance of the A7 was actually not as big an improvement as I expected, either. I would say that at the high end, it would let me squeak out one more usable stop compared to the GX7 (12800 vs. 6400). It's noticeably cleaner at ISO 3200 and more moderate shooting conditions, but I'm not that noise averse as long as it's relatively fine-grained and "filmic." It's only when noise starts getting really blotchey that I'm going to disappointed. There's a point at which "low light" simply becomes "bad light" and while you may be able to get a acceptable documentary image with a larger sensor, it's never going to be something pretty.

The other thing I'm disappointed by with the A7 is the lack of any sort of quiet shutter capability. Not the biggest deal, but definitely nice to have.

All in all, it's looking like my next upgrade is likely to be a GX7 rather than an A7. Which is kind of disappointing. We'll see if I can get away from pixel-peeping low ISO static images, though, which is where the A7 walks away from the GX7. I do a fair bit of shooting in those conditions, so even if the focussing is slow and I need to approach the camera more like an old medium format rig, maybe the output is worth it. Never an easy answer...

Though in that case, I might also be strongly tempted by just getting the GX7 and a used Sigma DP1 Merrill for the static detail stuff. That might be a happier compromise in the long run, even if it doesn't really address low-light situations.

zulfur666

Mu-43 Veteran
After long comparisons and pondering I decided to stay with Micro four third for the long term. Build quality (aka front mount being plastic and metal 2 piece) having to buy a battery charger, just screams cheap Sony. Also it is not weather sealed as I found out from my research. So thumbs up for Olympus and Panasonic for giving us truly outdoor capable cameras and a lens selection that has truly matured by now.

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
After long comparisons and pondering I decided to stay with Micro four third for the long term. Build quality (aka front mount being plastic and metal 2 piece) having to buy a battery charger, just screams cheap Sony. Also it is not weather sealed as I found out from my research. So thumbs up for Olympus and Panasonic for giving us truly outdoor capable cameras and a lens selection that has truly matured by now.
Yeah, I'd consider the GH4 to be a strong contender for the best camera on the market right now, particularly in terms of interface, handling, and weather-sealing. But I can't justify the price, and I like the IBIS and the form factor on the GX7, so that's my preference.

robbie36

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
rob collins
you guys are probably right Sony has to ripen its lens availability and battery drain problem (even it has been reported turning wifi off solves the problem) and see how many times they may change their mounts and wait for 2-3 generations of the A7's to mature and wait and see reliability.
The battery. With the A7 isn't really a big issue if you are used to an E-M5. I find the Sony lasts about as long but my Oly batteries are a little old.

Technically the BLN1 is 1220mah and the Sony 1020mah. Most of the power draw comes from either the LCD or EVF. Both cameras use the same Epsom EVF and the LCD specs are similar. So the difference is theoretically 19%.

mattia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I own and shoot both the Sony A7r and the E-M1 - the Olympus is undoubtedly the better all-rounder. Autofocus, control layout, features (touchscreen for AF point selection for instance, and better customisation). The system is more mature, the lens lineup is far more complete and has more options in multiple price ranges. Battery life is close enough not to matter too much. The image quality from the A7r is simply stunning, however - in terms of quality, dynamic range, malleability in post and resolution its a dream for landscape shots. I often find the 16 MP and good-but-not-awesome base ISO performance on the E-M1 compared to the A7R to be a major differentiator.

Would I fully switch to Sony? No. But the combination works great for me. I am prepared to put up with the relative weaknesses of the A7R to get access to the image quality, and the FE 55/1.8 is truly a stunning piece of glass. I'll likely add the 16-35 to replace the 7-14 (purple flare issues), and I might be tempted by a 135 or a 21mm prime from Sony/Zeiss, but that's really it. The Sony is mostly my 'primes' camera, the Oly the all-rounder, zoom camera.

bye

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Personally, I feel the A7 series isn't a mature system yet and I found that some of the good FE lenses are not very price/performance competitive compared against the either Canon and Nikon or even the m43 system. Our limitations are currently bounded by the E-M5 16MP generation sensor which is not seen as competitive as the Sony's 24MP and 36MP on the A7 and A7r. But that may change come February 2015 with the possible E-M5 successor that will have a new improved sensor that may attempt to address these problems. It's common for manufacturers to leap frog each other. I'm waiting to see what Olympus has to offer in 2015, so in the meantime I'll stick with getting good glass.

But as sensor technology matured, it's getting very difficult for manufacturers to provide big leaps in sensor performance unless a sensor breakthrough exist somewhere on the horizon. I'll stick with Olympus.

Latest threads

Top Bottom