Anybody else using 2x digital zoom on their OMD cameras?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Jock Elliott, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Jock Elliott

Jock Elliott Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2015
    Troy, NY
    Jock Elliott
    As a born-again superzoom enthusiast, I believe the concept of "too much reach" is a logical fallacy. It's like "too much fun"; there ain't no such thing.

And to those who say "zoom with your feet," I say: Fah! -- Try it when you the Great Blue Heron is in the middle of the rapids or the gorgeous blossom is in the middle of the ceremonial planting.

Both my OMD EM5 and OMD EM5 II are set up so that I can press a button and instantly engage the 2x digital zoom. This is particularly handy with the 14-150mm F4.0-5.6. Press a button, and -- shazam -- I have 600mm e at my disposal.

Below are three pairs of pictures taken at full zoom with the 14-150mm F4.0-5.6. The first one is without the digital zoom; the second one, with digital zoom.

OMD EM5 II 2x zoom 001.JPG
    OMD EM5 II 2x zoom 002.JPG
    OMD EM5 II 2x zoom 004.JPG

OMD EM5 II 2x zoom 005.JPG

OMD EM5 II 2x zoom 006.JPG
    OMD EM5 II 2x zoom 007.JPG
    So does that work for you, or am I seriously in need of what the old-timers used to call "a physic"?

Cheers, Jock

• Like Like x 1
  2. Christop82

Christop82 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2016
    I've tried it, but I determined that I would rather crop it later to have more control. It's a neat feature as long as your resolution allows it. I think it would be more useful with a larger, higher mp sensor. Cropping to 8mp is limiting.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. danou75

danou75 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 13, 2013
    Melbourne, VIC.
    Yeah when I had an Em1 and the 12-40 2.8 I used the digital zoom for a macro effect.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    You can honestly get better results shooting in RAW and cropping in post.

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    I use the JPEG from the 2x digital zoom as a guide and then crop the original RAW file exactly using a "Super-Resolution" software like Reshade and upsample back from 4MP to 16Mp (using a E-P5). I prefer Reshade in POST because,

1, It applies Super-Resolution algorithm to give me crisper, clearer images compared to Olympus 2x digital zoom which looks blurry and fuzzy.
    2, It reduces NOISE to give me more detail which is lost when I use the 2x digital zoom.

Super-resolution imaging - Wikipedia

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I tried it, thought that maybe Olympus had some magic dust in there....but for all that I'd done with it, I was never happy with the quality. As others have stated, I get better final output when cropping a file in post, processing and upsampling if need be.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. banjoboy

banjoboy New to Mu-43

Apr 14, 2017
    For some silly reason, I save images in raw+jpg. So, occasionally, I'll turn on the DTC - if I want a "zoomed" image right away to send to someone that I'm later going to crop in pp, i have it available. But that is rare. So, for me it's more of a fun to play with thing (until I forget to turn it off and next time I pick up the camera I have to figure that out!) Maybe I should just switch back to raw only . . .

8. exakta

exakta Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    I've used it a few times when my 40-150R just didn't have enough reach. Like others noted above, I shoot RAW+JPEG so using the DTC is really just a framing tool, I can rethink the cropping in post if I want to. I recently bought a 75-300 to get the reach I need.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ranger Rick

Ranger Rick Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    Tempe, AZ
    Rick
    As to the examples you posted, they look pretty darn good, so hold off on that physic!

10. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    It's just a crop and cooked into jpeg. Doesn't do much for me! What you really need is a 300mm f4! Now that is impressive!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Machi

Machi Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2015
    Digital zoom is useless for RAWs.
    But in some cameras it's great feature for video as it really captures more details in the magnified frames
    (at cost of smaller field of view of course).

12. atarijedi

atarijedi Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2015
    I have only ever used it to figure out what something is in the distance, never taken a photo with it though.

13. stiblee

stiblee Mu-43 Regular

Dec 11, 2016
  14. dlhomesolutions

dlhomesolutions Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    Peoria, IL
    If you are going to use digital zoom please buy a 3.2 megapixel point and shoot. Since you are cutting your resolution, megapixels and photo quality in half.

Crop in post if you must.

15. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

All we need is the cash to buy it! :p