Anybody else attached to one particular Pen body?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Jonathan F/2, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    For some darn reason I am incredibly attached to the E-PL2 and it's image output. The newer Pens don't really excite me as much image-wise. The E-PL2 isn't the best at high ISO, but those files are so beautiful! Even if they get noisy, the sharpness is very crisp. I would've been happy if they left the E-PL2 alone and just added the faster AF. Maybe I'm just a sucker for weak AA filtered cameras? :confused::smile:

Is anyone else attached to a particular Pen body?
    • Like Like x 1
  2. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I am becoming attached to my E-P1
  3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    I would debate that at high ISO, the differences between the E-PL2, E-P3/PL3/PM1 are minimal at best.

However, the E-PL2 lacks the AF-S speed of the newer models.
  4. McDark

McDark Mu-43 Regular

Oct 26, 2011
    For several weeks I was thinking of getting an E-PM1, but finally decided to keep E-PL1 as its IBIS looks like slightly more rigid, low ISO output seems tad better/sharper. For high ISO difference between E-PL1 and newer bodies looks minimal to me, so for indoor/low light I decided that G3 is replacing my GF1 instead, as its capabilities in that domain are obvious.

I llike E-PL1's built-in flash with two great undocumented features - it can bounce being pulled back and can be temporarily turned off by slightly pushing it down... very ergonomical, even if that came out unintentionally :biggrin:

I even like the look and feel of E-PL1 much more that E-PL3/E-PM1. Besides the lack of grip, that 'ugly' retro rangefinder styling was finally lost, that seems to be big mistake for Olympus, I doubt they saved a lot on it. :confused: Being in Paris, one guy jumped out from his huge black glossy Mercedes just to ask me what kind of amazingly beautiful and stylish camera I was using (that was E-PL1 with VF-2 and 14-150 w/hood), I was kinda proud... :cool: New bodies design (well, except for E-P3) hardly impresses anyone I think.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yeah, the newer Pens (Sans the E-P3) look more like P&S cameras and not that modern retro anymore. That's funny regarding the guy in Paris. Some lady here in LA thought I was shooting a Leica and even though I told her it wasn't, she kept saying how my camera must be expensive because her friend spent over $5,000 USD on her Leica! :rolleyes:
  6. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
  7. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    i like the handling of the E-P1 more than any other digital I've used (not that many I'll admit). I assume I'd like the E-P2/3 as well but the original Pen works just fine for me. I've picked up an E-PL1 a couple of times but the controls seem to sell the format short. At least one control dial, please!

Jonathan, my E-P1 cost more than my second best Leica M2 but it did come with a lens ;)
  8. avidone

avidone Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    Love my E-P1! Looks great, feels great, has great controls. Image quality is close enough to the newer ones to suit me. My E-PL1 has just become a backup/second camera. I'm sure I would like the E-P3 as well, but not enough to pay for it at current prices. For me, pixel peeping is irrelevant compared to ability to use the camera flexibly and intuitively, and without diving too often into layers of menus.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App
  9. guzziknight

guzziknight Mu-43 Veteran

May 18, 2011
    While I love the E-PL2 I bought recently, the E-P1 is still my favorite. Just feels the best, and it's still the best looking mft out there, in my opinion.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. timallenphoto

timallenphoto Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2011
    Kent, England
    I still like my E-P1 despite the terrible AF speed, poor screen and unimpressive noise performance. It feels so solid and well made and still looks great with a pancake on it.
  11. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I did love my E-P1, but it's for sale now, replaced by an E-PL1. When choosing between the two I would always take the E-PL1 so it didn't make sense to keep the E-P1 any longer.

It's interesting hearing the comments about the resolution of the new Pens. I had assumed that they retained the same AA filter as the PL1/2, but looking at the studio comparisons between them and hearing the comments here would suggest otherwise. I don't know if that makes the older cameras better, but it does make pixel-peeping more satisfying :biggrin:
  12. G.Sal

G.Sal Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2011
    The Philippines
    Quite had a similar experience with my EPL1 too. Was doing street photography a few weeks ago when a group of girls just stopped and stared and asked for what camera model I'm using. :smile:

The Gariz metal decal sticker would further enhance the EPL1's unique design:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    I loved the E-P1 and I love my E-P3. The only that might make me sell it is the Fuji ILC when it comes out. I love clean images at ISO6400, but want a humpless camera..
  14. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    I'm enjoying my E-PM1 very much. But if the E-P3 ever drops to the price range where the E-P2 is right now, I'll be ready to scoop one up. And I'm sure I'll become quite attached to it.
  15. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
  16. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
  17. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I say use what you like, but for mFT, I realized that I personally like using the E-PL1 best, I just like it's balance of output, size and weight. I also think that for the most part there's not a huge difference between the different models, but obviously there enough differences that make us prefer one over another.
  18. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    I use an E-PL1 with the kit lens from an E-PM1. That way I get fast, silent focusing from an E-PL1 which is especially important when shooting video.

The main compelling reason to get a third generation PEN is the greatly improved video. I was going to do that but instead bought a dedicated camcorder - Panasonic's top of the line TM900 which was for sale for $599 on black friday.
  19. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I've been quite happy with my E-PL1. Even its looks have grown on me (though I do keep it sheathed in a leather case which masks most of the camera). I bought it because at the time it was such a good deal for the feature set, when what I really had my heart set on was the style and form factor of an E-P1 or E-P2. The E-PL1 a utilitarian tool, and for what it does - especially with my legacy lenses - its a definite keeper. I've toyed with the idea of 'upgrading' to an E-P2 or even an E-P3, but I can't seem to justify it - It would be purely an aesthetic and tactile thing. As far as taking photographs goes, the E-PL1 is all the camera I need. I also have a 5D MkII, which is a fantastic camera, but truth be told - I really enjoy using my PEN a whole lot more.
  20. DiskMan101

DiskMan101 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 30, 2011
    Kansas City
    I have the EPL1 and have pretty much worked around most of it's short coming such as low light shots (fast lens), slow AF (decreasing the focal zone), etc. I just love the images and even found out it's slightly water proof when I was on a trip to New Orleans and was caught in a down pour.

Here are some sample shots (click on the DOWNLOAD button on the right to see the 1680x1050 resolution image)