1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Anybody dumped their prime lenses for the 12-35 yet?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Dangermouse1968, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Dangermouse1968

Dangermouse1968 Mu-43 Regular

May 26, 2011
    Hey!

Just wondering if any of you have considered dumping your prime lenses for the 12-35 X yet?

I have the 20 mm (which is great) and the Oly 45 (which I adore!!) but it would be nice just to have one lens. I fancy a wide angle and I think the 14mm is my next most likely purchase.

BUT the 12 - 35 would do most of all that in one package, albeit a rather large one!!

Have any of you dumped your primes for the 12 - 35 yet (or thinknig of it?).

DM

2. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I fail to see how 12-35 f2.8 lens can substitute either panny 20mm f1.7 or Oly 45mm f1.8. The zoom is not long enough for good portraits nor its aperture is wide enough for effective low light capabilities or sufficient DoF control at reasonable distances. The lens would be fantastic on FF camera where it would provide both low light and plenty of DoF control.

3. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    I dumped a 14 and a 45 for the 12-35. Naturally, the prices they sold for didn't even cover the tax, but oh well!

I kept the 25 for low light shots and when I want something lighter to carry.

4. McBob

McBob Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2012
    The 12-35 is just big enough, just fast enough, just about the right range, and its been on my GH2 almost non-stop except night-time... then the 17.5/0.95 takes over. I'm not above using ETC to turn each into a portrait lens in certain situations.

That said, I haven't been able to bring myself to sell off a single lens because of this purchase... but mostly because I'm an incurable lens hoarder.

5. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    Some people may have sold a couple of primes in order to raise funds for the 12-35. But, experience from other systems, shows that such a lens cannot serve as replacement for fast primes.

I can think of slower primes being replaced with the 12-35, specifically for :43:: Pany 14mm, Oly 17mm, Sigma 19mm and 30mm come to mind.

6. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Whether you can replace several primes with this zoom really depends on what and how you like to shoot. The 1 1/2 to 2 stop advantage of the fast primes may matter if you like to shoot a lot of available light and interior work, and don't mind pretty shallow DOF. (f/1.4 isn't going to help you much if you're trying to get an entire room in focus, for example).

But not everyone shoots available light.

And yes, DOF on an f/2.8 lens will never be as shallow as with a f/1.4 lens. But if you're shooting landscapes or cityscapes, or environmental portraits, that's actually an advantage.

Not everyone is looking for the shallowest DOF all the time.

Portraits? No, 35mm f/2.8 isn't ideal for tight head shots or head and shoulders portraits, but it's doable if you pick your backgrounds carefully, and maybe crop a little bit. The FOV of a 70mm equivalent lens isn't that much wider than 85mm which is a pretty standard portrait lens for 35mm / FF work. And for environmental portraits, you want to show the viewer the subject's surroundings--blurring everything to death doesn't provide the needed context.

But no lens does everything. They are all compromises of one sort or another. You need to decide what compromises work for you.

7. ahendarman

ahendarman Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2012
    Agoura Hills, CA
    I just did exactly that. Sold my 14mm, 45mm and my kit lens, kept my 25mm and bought 12-35mm. I feel that 12-35 is more versatile for travel and general use. It's also a good way to get to a good 12mm.

Recently I did a poll, and the results also reflect my opinion.

8. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    Thats the reason I want one. I really like the Oly 12mm but I dont use it enough so Im really considering selling to fund the 12-35mm.

9. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    I'm highly considering the 12-35 to pair with the EM-5 for a walk-around weather sealed set-up. Unless Olympus comes out with a 12-60 that is decently fast and weather sealed, I don't see myself having many choices. I can see some situations where a zoom would be really nice and I don't have one currently.

The only one of my primes I would consider getting rid of is the 14/2.5 but I don't think I would at it's price point and small size. The PL25 is just too damn useful and is my favorite lens by far for this system.

10. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Bought the 12-35, didn't sell my primes - though the thought crossed my mind at one point. I did sell a few lenses but not my primes. There's three reasons:

1) I shoot a lot of low light stuff so even f/2.8 sometimes isn't fast enough - though it's a definite improvement over slow kit zooms in low light & indoor shooting.

2) Prime lenses make me think about composition more/differently. Going back to the primes for a day after a while with zooms made me realize I always want a few choice prime lenses around.

3) I'm an idiot for gear and I like having lots of cool lenses to choose from :biggrin:

That said, if those 3 things aren't concerns for you, then the 12-35 could probably handily replace the 12-35 focal range of primes pretty nicely. The 45mm I wouldn't want to replace because it's niche as a portrait lens just isn't fulfilled all that great by the 35mm f/2.8 of the zoom. Other than that, the 12-35 is *very* sharp, close-focusing, nice rendering, and has decent autofocus speed. I really have no complaints about the lens other than I wish it had just a little bit longer range. If it was a 12-45 or 12-60 I'd have nothing bad to say about it, even if it made for a slightly larger lens.

11. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    The two you mention are the only primes I have (until the Nokton 25 arrives), I've decided they're worth keeping together with the 12-35.

It's a tough call, the 45 has much shallower DoF wide open than the 12-35 can achieve, so I wouldn't give that up. The zoom at 35mm/2.8 is similar to 45mm/ 4.5 in terms of DoF.

The zoom is useful because it gives you a wider lens than every other zoom, so for me as well it replaces the 12/2, (as ahendarman & shizlefonizle point out), 14/2.5. I could also list Oly 17, Sigma 19 & 30, but you probably have no interest in those, and neither do I.

I have a hard time giving up the 20mm, but if you don't use it at 1.7 or travel only with the camera + pancake lens it's probably a wise choice to sell it.

12. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I keep telling myself the same thing Art. I have to fight the perception of how capable a 24-70/2.8 is on a FF camera, and how that could reasonably replace a few :43: primes.

Bottom line is that I don't want to spend $1300 on a zoom lens. But it might make plunking down $550 for a 25/1.4 seem like a good decision. Strange how the mind works...

13. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    I prefer the convenience of a good quality zoom and the 12-35 covers the range mostly what I shoot at, f2.8 is fast enough and (just) gives a shallow enough DOF for most situations. I kept the PL25 for low light or shallow DOF situations.
    For me the 7-14, 12-35 and 35-100 (when it arrives) will give me the just what I want in focal length terms and IQ and is more practical for me than a set of primes.

Paul

14. CPWarner

CPWarner Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2010
    Cliff
    Ditto,

Keeping the primes for when I want/need them, and have the 12-35mm for when I want the convenience of a zoom. My 25mm and Olympus 45mm are definitely staying, but the Panny 45mm macro will get passed down to my son when the 60mm macro is released.

15. dannat

dannat Mu-43 Regular

May 2, 2010
    Melbourne Australia
    i am thinking about this lens myself -dont really need the very low light of f1.8 cos i don't do any really indoors stuff - think ill get it to avoid the multiple lenses, i wonder if it'll come down in price after photokina when/if Oly release their 12-60???

16. ahendarman

ahendarman Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2012
    Agoura Hills, CA
    I just got my 12-35. It's definitely chunky and bigger than any other m34 lens I've seen, although it is well balance on an e-m5.
    The built is very solid with a lot of metal feel to it. Zoom ring is smooth and tight and doesn't fell cheap. It does feel expensive built-wise.

I hope I can have some times this weekend to actually use it :)

This might be the reason that I can finally let go of my Canon 5D kit.

i-nZGJ9sS-L.

17. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I only have the 20/1.7 in this range, which I still carry because it's small.

I am seriously considering not carrying the 45/2.8 when traveling, but the close focus of the 12-35 is just Not quite there for flower pix IMHO.

The size and weight savings over the Leica D 14-50 f/2.8-3.5 has been AMAZING though!

18. hamadiscool

hamadiscool Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2011
    Texas
    So I see that alot of people on this site are getting this lens but I don't see any picture taken from it!! ARGH.....

My choice would be to not get it or keep my primes and get it! Like stated before, its really the fault of our platform that we don't get enough DOF at f/2.8 and not the lens it self. The only thing I could compare this lens with to get an idea of DOF @35mm is the sigma 30mm f/2.8. The thing I learned from looking through the sigma's gallery is if you can get close enough to your subject then you should decent bokeh (nothing like the 45mm offcourse).

19. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I've posted a bunch of photos from the 12-35 since I got it, mostly in the "summer of pictures" thread. You can check out my Summer of Photos Flickr gallery if you want. Everything in that gallery shot between the horse statue and the one of the chandelier/wall print was with the 12-35mm for example.

20. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Selling off some stuff to fund a 75mm and/or 12mm but I keep thinking about the 12-35mm. It will end up with either:

12, 25, 45, 75, 14-45
    or
    12-35 & 75 (maybe keep 45 too)

Too tough to say right now, I probably won't make up my mind until the last minute (or a deal comes along).