Anybody buy-sell-repurchase O-MD?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by IL2AZ, Apr 18, 2014.

1. IL2AZ

IL2AZ Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 19, 2013
    I purchased and sold an OMD EM5 last year. I couldn't quite give up my Canon yet at the time. Now, I'm kind of regretting letting it go. Anyone else have a similar experience? I'm considering jumping back in the m43 pool, but I'm not sure if I should wait for a price drop on the em5, or take a leap to the em1. I'm aware of the em10, but not sure if that's the route I want to go. Any thoughts and experiences would be appreciated. Thanks.
  2. duke

duke Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    Tulsa, moving to Houston
    I left and came back. Used em5s are around the $500 point which is a great price in my opinion. Em1 price is going to drop over time but if it has features you need then go for it.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk
  3. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    For two years I haven't been able to think of a good reason to sell my E-M5 :smile:
  4. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    A few question... What do you miss about m43 that you can't get from your canon? Why can't you give up your canon? Can you afford to have two systems?

Price for a second hand EM5 is pretty good at the moment. There have been some good deals for EPM2 bodies as well lately...
  5. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
  6. memzinla

memzinla Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm actually on my fifth E-M5. I have sold it many times to try a new camera, and always keep coming back to the OM-D. lol
  7. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sold my E-M5 awhile back because I needed the cash. I was going to buy it again, but opted for the E-M10 which I like even more. Feels much more refined in my opinion especially in ergonomics. The new E-M10 grip also fits like a glove!
  8. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I bought an E-M5 and after enjoying it for a while, I sold it to get an E-M1 and GX7. Ultimately I sold the GX7 and bought a used E-M5. More recently I bought a second E-M5, but I don't think I'll be keeping it. Kind of heavy carrying three cameras around.
  9. Hazza

Hazza Just Clicking

Aug 10, 2013
    Huddersfield UK
    Iv'e had an E-M5 for a while now and also a Panasonic G6. I just sold the G6 and bought another E-M5.
    I would have liked the E-M1 but it is to expensive at the moment but maybe one day it will happen.
    So not sold one but bought two YAY!
  10. IL2AZ

IL2AZ Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 19, 2013
    Wow memzinla, 5? Okay, that makes me feel better. I had the silver model, but I saw the black one with kit lens for $879. That's less than I sold my kit for, so kinda no harm, no foul. I'd like to get the silver back, but it's almost $400 more! That's hard to justify. I like the form factor more than I thought I did, and when I was reviewing some pics I took with it, I thought, damn, I'd like to have it back. Anyhow, suppose I can still keep my 50D, because I love that camera too. I'm finding that they both have different strengths, so I'm stuck using two systems.
  11. JYPfoto

JYPfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2013
    I started with the E-M5 for about a month, then went to the E-P5 for 3 weeks, then went to the E-M1 for 6 months. Decided to try a larger sensor in the Fuji X-T1 but the slower AF and shutter lag made me come back to m4/3, but this time with the GH4.
  12. Photorebel

Photorebel Mu-43 Regular

Nov 14, 2013
    Jeff Mims
    I bought an EM1…then returned it, bought Canon 6D…but just missed EM1, so returned 6D and bought another EM1…then with the rebates..(back in Dec) bought an EM5..and several lenses. I've been content since. There are times I miss a dslr, but I would not dump OM for a dslr. I might add a dslr later on. I just found, for my type of shooting, I didn't gain any advantage shooting with the Canon6D. Granted it has incredible high ISO, low noise capability, but I don't need that all the time. The OM system works for me.
  13. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I often regret buying cameras - I've a fairly long list! There's a much smaller list of regrets for ones I've sold though. My OM-D E -M5 is on neither list!
  14. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

I had an EM-5 and then got really frustrated with the focus box size limitation (this was before the firmware upgrade). I then went G6 (inferior picture quality), GX-7 (really nice but shooting video with primes without IBIS was difficult) and now I'm back to an EM-5. I picked up a used, black EM-5 for £430 and a grip for £110 and I'm really enjoying using the camera. I realise how much I missed IBIS! All the little niggles with the EM-5 are more than made up for when you can use IBIS with any lens. I would like focus peaking back (both G6 and GX7 had this) and I would like better quality video. Maybe one day someone will produce the holy grail of video capable cameras that features 5-axis IBIS, focus peaking and high quality codecs!