1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Anybody been to Thailand?

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by rainyseason, Nov 23, 2011.

1. rainyseason

rainyseason Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 8, 2011
    Costa Rica
    I'm heading to Thailand in a couple of weeks and really haven't done much research yet. I'm flying into Bangkok then heading down south to the beaches of Phucket then up north to Chiang Mai. Can anybody recommend things and places I shouldn't miss? Any shots that I shouldn't miss? Thanks

2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I spent quite a bit of time in Thailand for work, but wasn't much into photography at the time (think I had a subcompact).

Bangkok is still impacted by flooding.... guessing most of the downtown tourist areas will be good-to-go, but be aware of this if you want to go to some of the outlying districts.

Bangkok is a big, busy city. There are a bunch of great temples and other popular tourist spots, if that is your thing. If I go back, I will definitely take a fast lens for night street shots. Great people watching, bars and street food (exotic stuff) vendors in the tourist areas at night. Also, cooler in the evening, so nicer to walk around. If you are there on a weekend and assuming it is not flooded, there is a huge open market outside of town (short train ride). I can look up the name if it sounds interesting.

Chiang Mai is much more laid back and less bustling than Bangkok, given its size. I think there are more places to walk around and easier to find older buildings, walls and interesting architecture.

I never went to the beaches, so no ideas for you there.

3. jim_khoo

jim_khoo Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 9, 2010
    Kuala Lumpur
    the two places you can also visit are ayutthaya and kanchanaburi.

4. David Tait

David Tait Mu-43 Regular

Apr 29, 2011
    Ayutthaya is a must. Lots of temples there, plus elephant rides. In Chiang Mai, the night market is a must see also. There are a lots of very picturesque temples in Chiang Mai too.
    Phi Mai is a very old temple site worth visiting if you are anywhere near it. But, really you will be spoiled for choice.

The train journeys offer a great insight into Thai travel. Great candid shots are easy to get on the trains.

Enjoy the trip. Take lots of memory with you.

5. jim_khoo

jim_khoo Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 9, 2010
    Kuala Lumpur
    ayutthaya is the old siam capital. they were at war (on elephant back) with the brumese
    in the 1500s and queen suriyothai. the ruins there is a great site.

kanchanaburi (river kwai) is another historical place to visit. along the way from bangkok
    to kanchanaburi and at kanchanaburi you can do this...
    1. visit the damnoen saduak floating market in long tail boat (keep your hands inside the boat).
    2. visit to bridge over the river kwai and war cemetery of allied prisoners .
    3. visit the tiger temple
    4. visit wang po.

of course, remember to post your trip here when you get home. have a safe and pleasant
    holiday!

6. jim_khoo

jim_khoo Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 9, 2010
    Kuala Lumpur
    when you visit chiang mai, do also visit chiang rai to check out hill tribes and golden triangle.

i am sure you'll enjoy the weather in northern thailand during the end of the year. bangkok
    will be a little cool too.