1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Any way to use non-Olympus flash with E-P5?

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by Ltwo, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Ltwo

Ltwo Mu-43 Rookie

Hi all,

Recently got an Olympus E-P5. Is there any way for me to use my Metz 48 AF-1 (Pentax mount) as a wireless flash/strobe with the Olympus?
    I know it would be fairly straightforward with Olympus-branded ones like the FL-600R but I'm not sure if non-Oly flashes would work with things like wireless triggers.

If yes, how should I go about doing it?

Thanks

2. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    yes. but only in manual mode. You'll need a cheap set of manual triggers.

Gordon

3. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
  4. Saelee

Saelee Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2011
    You can use just about any flash if you trigger it manually with a manual trigger.

One of the advantage of the RadioPopper system is that I am able to control the power level of the flash with a twist of the knob on the trigger. Best thing of all is that I can use that on any brand camera and still work the same(but I will have to use my Nikon brand flash).

5. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Yes... do it all the time.

No different than any other system using non-ttl flashes in Manual mode.

I use Cactus triggers for wireless triggers.
    Sunpak 422D w/ TR-PAK batteries modified with RC car batteries
    Umbrellas and stands

The E-P5 has a decent max Xsync at 1/320th which is faster than the E-M5.

6. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    Cactus V5's

7. Y2K

Y2K Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2012
    MA
    Yefim
    Plenty of suggestions here already if you need to buy new triggers. If you are switching from another system and already have some triggers, you may be able to modify them as well to work on Olympus. I switched from Canon and had four YN RF-603C triggers that I used with various flashes in manual mode. When I switched to Olympus, I modified one of the triggers using these instructions and it works great. If you have any triggers you used with Pentax, they could probably be modified as well.

8. Ltwo

Ltwo Mu-43 Rookie

9. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

oh btw...

In my search for a wireless shutter trigger for my EM5, I ran across the Hahnel Combi TF kit:

http://www.hahnel.ie/index.cfm/action/productSearch/pid/64

The neatest thing about this is that it is a two-way communication design. The wireless shutter trigger mechanism can be turned around and used as a wireless flash trigger as well. Just something to consider.