1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Any way to export all settings from OM-D E-M1?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by zlatko-photo, Jan 22, 2014.

1. zlatko-photo

zlatko-photo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 8, 2014
    I have spent way, way too much time customizing the E-M1. I've never spent so much time customizing a camera before. If a firmware update or battery failure reset all of my settings, I would have to start all over again! So, is there any way to export all of the settings to the memory card or computer? Some top-end Canon and Nikon camera bodies have this feature. It makes resetting a camera very easy as the saved settings can just be imported. It is also extremely useful if you have 2 or more bodies and need to give them the same settings.

Without this, I guess that the only option is to spend some time writing down ALL of the settings. Thanks in advance for any tips or ideas!

2. JimUSNY

JimUSNY Mu-43 Regular

Nov 5, 2013
    Mid Hudson Valley NY
    Jim
    not that I know of... lost mine a few times when my hung up and I had to full reset

• Like Like x 1
  3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    No, it can't be done. Perhaps if enough of us complain to Olympus repeatedly, they'll get the message, but I wouldn't bet on it.

• Like Like x 2
  4. zlatko-photo

Jan 8, 2014
    Yikes and double yikes! My current Canons don't have this feature either, but setting them up is much quicker. With such an incredibly customizable camera, this is more important than ever. I hope some of those Olympus Visionaries are asking Olympus to implement a way to export & import a settings file.

My two key requests for a firmware update would be:

1. Option to export/save a file of all settings to memory card, combined with option to import all settings from memory card.

2. Option to return to last used screen when pressing the Menu button. This would speed up settings changes. The current way of always returning to the home screen usually adds some extra steps.

If anyone knows of a way to formally request such changes, please let us know.

5. stargate

stargate Mu-43 Regular

Aug 14, 2013
    Greece
    I do not have an olympus but my GX1 has #2 as a settings option.

• Like Like x 1
  6. humzai

humzai Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 17, 2012
    I don't feel that Olympus is as unresponsive as dhazeghi alleges. They seem to have fixed many of the issues users of the E-M5 had with the E-M1.

I have been giving some thought to updates to the E-M1 and plan to start a thread about it soon. There are two sets of things that could be changed one is a better way to deal with mysets. The other is general improvements to the firmware. Your thoughts pertain to the mysets, which are a great feature that should be improved. The odd thing is that it doesn't really require much work to take a good feature and make it incredible.

• Like Like x 1
  7. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    I just wrote down my custom settings, as Ive done for the last 15 years. A full reset will set me back no more than 10 minutes.

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  8. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    used to have this on my older 1 series canons :) was nice set up one copy it to the card transfer to your 2nd body :) and would keep a copy on the computer in case :)

9. zlatko-photo

Jan 8, 2014
    Yes! In this era of highly customizable cameras, this should be a standard feature. I feel as if I've changed dozens and dozens of settings, as if almost everything is not what it was at default. To rebuild that would be quite a chore. I only have one OM-D, but imagine a studio with multiple highly-customized cameras and the time drain of reconfiguring them all.

Olympus could even build it into the remote software, Olympus Image Share. This way you wouldn't even need to use a memory card. Just export settings to phone and import back again when needed. Or download from phone to computer, etc.

• Like Like x 1
  10. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    And no doubt they will fix many of the E-M1's shortcomings with the E-M2. However, they're far better about adding in hot new features than they are about making existing features work better. Notice that while people have been asking for this feature since the E-3 came out in 2007, Olympus has managed to more than double the number of custom menu options in their newer cameras, without addressing that complaint in the slightest.

11. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    have to say reading Fuji firmware updates OLY could pick up a thing or to from them about keeping cameras moving forward :)

12. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    Exactly my thoughts. Producing a new camera with fewer flaws is not the same as fixing the problems on an existing camera.

13. zlatko-photo

Jan 8, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  14. JimUSNY

JimUSNY Mu-43 Regular

Nov 5, 2013
    Mid Hudson Valley NY
    Jim
    even my cheap answering machine has a way to save and restore settings, I have reset mine a couple times and know what I want pretty much, but also all the mysets need to be redone, so its not as simple to just reset as some people think if they dont use mysets etc, plus we would be able to share settings for others to try, or save several different settings that dont get set in my sets...
    or at least they could have an option to save current settings as default settings so when you do reset the camera it resets the way you want it, but that might just reintroduce what made you do a reset anyway

15. old.swede

old.swede Mu-43 Rookie

• Like Like x 1
  16. Mr Hahn

Mr Hahn Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2010
    SLC, Utah
    Nate
    Ditto, I was just about to post this link. It's about the best and only thing we can do for now.

The ability to import and export all of the camera setting to and from an SD card is one thing I really miss about my old Nikon D7000.

-Nate

17. zlatko-photo

Jan 8, 2014
    Olympus Technical Support has replied that it is not possible to export the settings and that they'll forward my request to the appropriate department for review and consideration.

I encourage others who may be interested in this feature to contact Olympus. If anyone knows any of the Olympus Visionaries, bending their ears might help too.

I recall that when Canon introduced the 1D3 they included very little functionality for the little joystick on the back of the camera. It was basically for scrolling through menus. It could not be used to choose the active autofocus point! I mentioned it to one of the Canon Explorers and he said he had already brought it up with Canon. Some time later, a firmware update did in fact add that functionality. Similarly, Fuji has implemented many firmware changes in response to customer requests.

Hopefully Olympus can be similarly responsive. I think it would give their cameras a competitive advantage vs. other similarly priced cameras that lack this feature. It would be a "pro" feature useful to a lot of photographers, and I believe it would be a firmware modification only.

18. zlatko-photo

Jan 8, 2014
    Thanks very much for that link. One thing about that spreadsheet is that it shows the incredible number of settings that can be changed on this camera. To set them and then lose them all through some glitch would be a shame!

19. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Oly are infamous for never adding new features to existing cameras. It's the the one thing that one day might turn me away from them. If you want examples, how about the following simple features missing from the e-M5 (a current camera), all of which are available on later cameras:

- Small focus points
    - Mysets assignable to the mode dial
    - Lens IS priority

I can list more. It's a policy that tells me that Oly don't care about existing users - only acquiring new sales. Maybe that works short term, but long term brand loyalty matters.

• Like Like x 1
  20. humzai

humzai Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 17, 2012
    I hope they learn from Fuji's example. One thing I have heard some complaints about or desire for is focus peaking on the E-M5, the olympus implementation likely wouldn't work on the E-M5. The image refresh rate drops quite a bit in focus peaking, that's even after the firmware update. V 1 had a very significant drop and it improved greatly with the update. It might be a case of poor coding but who knows.

To be fair the mysets have been pretty much ignored by Olympus on the whole. The only thing that has been changed is being able to assign them on the mode dial. It's a damn shame too, as the system only needs a little work to make it incredible.

• Like Like x 1