1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

any update on epm1 ibis?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by travelbug, Oct 22, 2014.

1. travelbug

travelbug Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2014
    hello there.

im new to the forums and topside photography in general. recently got myself an epm1 (together with the kit and 25/1.8 lenses); and reading thru older posts, people seem to suggest having the is on off. i am just wondering if recent firmware updates have made the epm1 ibis more functional.

tia.

2. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    I'm guessing you meant to write "...suggest having the IBIS on off" -- most people recommend disabling stabilization when on a tripod or other steady surface, though some claim they can't tell a difference. Was there some other IBIS issue with which you were referring?

3. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    This is doubtful since it's an out of production camera. The most recent firmware is 1.4. which do you have? The usual problem is shutter shock, and this can be lessened by setting the anti-shock to 1/8 s. It's under the gears menu, I think.

4. travelbug

travelbug Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2014
    i basically read these recommended settings for the epm1 thread in dpreview. and they strongly advice to turn off ibis for the epm1 (and epl3 iirc) aside from switching off noise reduction. ibis leads to fuzzier pictures esp in lower light situations is what they said. this was however a 2011/12 thread and maybe ibis was corrected thru some firmware upgrades or later iterations of the epm1?

my camera software is 1.3. ive never heard of shutter shock. what exactly is it?

5. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
  6. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    The EPM1 was my second M43 camera in 2012, after owning an EPL1 for almost two years. The EPM1 surprised me with its grinding noises as the worm gears worked to stabilize the sensor at lower shutter speeds, and I didn't push it as much as I did with the EPL1 with longer lenses at slower shutter speeds.

However, I have always left the IBIS on. Everyone holds a camera differently, and some techniques allow steadier pix than others. Best is to run some tests with your camera and lenses. Try that 25mm and see if you can hold it at slower shutter speeds (like 1/10 second) with/without IBIS. This was done two years ago at 1/2 second with my EPM1 at 15mm with the 9-18 zoom. Not a great picture, but it was acceptable to me.

Attached Files:

7. travelbug

travelbug Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2014
    Thanks, I do underwater photography and videography (enthusiast level only), and I believe I have steadier hands than average as is required for u/w photo /video. I'll do some tests to see what settings suits me best. I can actually hold the camera at low light for 1/5 and get acceptable results (by my standards).

I'm actually concerned about ibis more for uw video more so than photography actually, as I take videos in more challenging environments where currents and whatnot don't allow me a buoyant foothold.

One last question, will the lens stabilization on Panasonic (lenses) work on the epm1?