Any tri-elmar users?

camerhoon

These lenses seem to be a great one lens solution for the micro-four thirds cameras. Any one use one? or know if they will work with the m43 cameras?

Cheers

Camerahoon

pdh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
with the correct adapter probably ... have you got a suitable adaptor for your credit card though?

usayit

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Which one?

There are two.. Wide and medium tri-elmars. They are M-mount and should be adaptable but someone needs to confirm that the rear element doesn't go to deep into the camera body.

I had the medium Tri-Elmar once... I sold it and I do regret it. I liked it but I never used it on a m4/3rd camera.

oris642

Mu-43 Regular
A wee bit expensive but hmm, I don't see why not. I used to have the 28-35-50mm one, of which, BTW, there are two versions. $3,000 used, a gorgeous piece of German technology and metal machining. Hmm, now you got me thinking.... since I only shoot landscapes the F4 works fine for me.

amoebahydra

Mu-43 Regular
I am using the wide angle Tri-Elmar, it actually behave as a zoom from 16mm to 21mm. The three focal lengths are marked for the discrete viewfinder setting and will not limit it for using as a zoom lens on my G-1.

PanG-1LeicaM161821-40.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Stephen Geis

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I am using the wide angle Tri-Elmar, it actually behave as a zoom from 16mm to 21mm. The three focal lengths are marked for the discrete viewfinder setting and will not limit it for using as a zoom lens on my G-1.

PanG-1LeicaM161821-40.jpg

Looks great - do you mind posting examples of photos taken with this setup?

Thanks,
Stephen

amoebahydra

Mu-43 Regular
Looks great - do you mind posting examples of photos taken with this setup?

Thanks,
Stephen

Most of the time I use the Tri-Elmar with M8, and I cannot find those shooting with M4/3. May be I take a few shots in a couple of days for sharing...

Regards

Patrick

amoebahydra

Mu-43 Regular
Image taken with DMC-G1 and Tri-Elmar-M 1:4/16-18-21

Shutter speed 1/15sec
Aperture F4
ISO 200
Focal length 21mm

_1000438.jpg

jnewell

Mu-43 All-Pro
Dredging this back up from the ancient past...especially interested in whether anyone's using the "MATE" 28-35-50/4 Tri-Elmar on a camera more recent than a G1 and whether you think it's worthwhile.

usayit

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Dredging this back up from the ancient past...especially interested in whether anyone's using the "MATE" 28-35-50/4 Tri-Elmar on a camera more recent than a G1 and whether you think it's worthwhile.

Tri-elmar is now running over $4k USD in mint condition. I think you can do better (value) with native zooms. You can build a very large micro 4 3 system for the same price.

I do regret selling mine (used only on my M) as it provided a good street lens but it wasn't the best (or most popular) option even among the Leica community.

jnewell

Mu-43 All-Pro
Price isn't a consideration here because I'm not going to go buy one of these, but I do already own one. :grin: Native zooms are clearly more functional - among other things they're AF, which twenty years ago I used to disparage but now really appreciate. :wink: The reason I ask about the MATE is that the images it produces have qualities that I really appreciate - more than those produced by my Leica ASPH and APO ASPH lenses. I haven't tried any adapted MF lenses on m4/3 cameras yet, and I'm interested in feedback on whether it'd worthwhile with this particular lens. If the pictures don't have the same qualities I'm used to on Leica bodies, I'd skip it. :smile:

usayit

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Well.. it comes to personal preference then...

and since you already have the lens, I would simply drop a few bucks (check ebay: rainbowimaging for example) and try it out.

I personally prefer how my summarits and summilux lenses at those focal lengths render over the MATE (whether on my M8, M9, or Micro 4 3) . I found the MATE nice for the convenience of 3 focal lengths back when I was shooting with just one camera... Epson R-D1 (and M6). 28mm at wide open was a bit too soft for my taste.

jnewell

Mu-43 All-Pro
Well.. it comes to personal preference then...

and since you already have the lens, I would simply drop a few bucks (check ebay: rainbowimaging for example) and try it out.

I personally prefer how my summarits and summilux lenses at those focal lengths render over the MATE (whether on my M8, M9, or Micro 4 3) . I found the MATE nice for the convenience of 3 focal lengths back when I was shooting with just one camera... Epson R-D1 (and M6). 28mm at wide open was a bit too soft for my taste.

That's helpful and interesting - which version Summilux? I'm assuming not the ASPH?

usayit

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
That's helpful and interesting - which version Summilux? I'm assuming not the ASPH?

I have Summilux ASPH @ 50mm (summarit and noctilux f/1 too)
At 35mm focal length, I have an older summicron 35mm (which doesn't get used much) and a Summarit 35mm
At the 28mm focal length, I had the 28mm elmarit (partially funded when I sold the MATE). I later sold it for the 24mm Elmarit Asph which I am totally happy with.

The MATE is a jewel of mechanical wonder... part of the reason why I regret selling it. It is one of the most complicated lens ever designed out of Leica. It also provides a great package for a 1 lens 1 camera kit for street photography. On the other hand, its rendering didn't set it apart from the Summicron's and Summilux's that Leica is well known for. None of this really translates to an advantage on the micro 4/3 camera. Also, with the 2x crop its fairly limited on the micro 4/3 sensor with f/4 as yet another limit to work within. The WATE actually provides a better set of focal lengths on a 2x sensor. I think you could do better with some of the high value native lenses out there; 14mm, 20mm, and you already have the 45mm. But again, its preference and an M mount adapter is fairly cheap to buy to try it out and decide for yourself.

PS> I see you have a 90mm f/2 APO. Nice! I should have jumped on it several years ago prior to Leica prices skyrocketing....

jnewell

Mu-43 All-Pro
I have Summilux ASPH @ 50mm (summarit and noctilux f/1 too)
At 35mm focal length, I have an older summicron 35mm (which doesn't get used much) and a Summarit 35mm
At the 28mm focal length, I had the 28mm elmarit (partially funded when I sold the MATE). I later sold it for the 24mm Elmarit Asph which I am totally happy with.

The MATE is a jewel of mechanical wonder... part of the reason why I regret selling it. It is one of the most complicated lens ever designed out of Leica. It also provides a great package for a 1 lens 1 camera kit for street photography. On the other hand, its rendering didn't set it apart from the Summicron's and Summilux's that Leica is well known for. None of this really translates to an advantage on the micro 4/3 camera. Also, with the 2x crop its fairly limited on the micro 4/3 sensor with f/4 as yet another limit to work within. The WATE actually provides a better set of focal lengths on a 2x sensor. I think you could do better with some of the high value native lenses out there; 14mm, 20mm, and you already have the 45mm. But again, its preference and an M mount adapter is fairly cheap to buy to try it out and decide for yourself.

PS> I see you have a 90mm f/2 APO. Nice! I should have jumped on it several years ago prior to Leica prices skyrocketing....

Thanks! I agree with all you've said - but I sometimes find the ASPHs just too "biting" sharp. The MATE has a more classic look and is a very good performer (though slowish). The downfall of all these lenses is the crop factor, as you say...don't own a WATE and I'm not going to buy one for sure!

I am probably going to pick up the 75mm and 12mm Olympus primes at some point. The 45mm is an incredible performer - and all of these are native lenses, which is a big plus for me, even though an adapter would be quite cheap (about the price of an OM-D battery!).

Latest threads

Top Bottom