1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Any tips on autofocus and moving targets?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by JohnN, Aug 23, 2014.

1. JohnN

JohnN Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    Hi,

While I can't complain about the image quality of E-M10, but I really am having trouble capturing moving targets.
    I understand that mirrorless cameras aren't quite there yet, but my experiments so far have left me with nothing usable, so I know I must be missing something.

Even on relativity passive subjects like ducks (on water, not even in flight) I found focus in C-AF would hunt horribly and C-AF with tracking was insane - it wandered around all over the place focusing on everything but the duck - I actually found myself laughing at one point it was so funny :)

Anyway I'm sure its not as bad as it seems so any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Ta,

John

2. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    To be honest, I find the best way to get decent results with moving targets is S-AF. The Olympus cameras lock single focus so fast that you normally get a decent rate of keepers this way.

• Like Like x 1
  3. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Is there a way to set AF to just one point? Water is higher contrast than just about everything on a duck, so you want to have only a small area to focus on.

I was able to shoot flying Gannets with my GH2 and GH3, so it should be doable on the e-m10.

• Like Like x 1
  4. JohnN

JohnN Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    Cheers guys - yep there is a way to do single point, but it would be hard to keep it on it (well a duck wouldn't be but something more interesting would be).

So, ditch C-AF in all modes and just go with single point?
    Oh just wondering do you guys tend to use the back screen or viewfinder?

BTW Rob, love your images :thumbup: and have you moved to Sony or just testing?

5. ThereAndBackAgain

ThereAndBackAgain Fighting GAS

May 26, 2014
    North Devon, England
    David
    You may already have found this tweak and I don't pretend to be any kind of expert but FWIW I found a huge improvement since enabling the small focus point on my E-M5. Hope this helps.
    David

• Like Like x 1
  6. JohnN

JohnN Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    Thanks David - I'll have a go.

Usually on my Canon I'd only use single point on stationary targets, swapping to 9 point for fast moving (or all points if theres no other distractions, such as a clear sky etc) - so this is all seeming very alien :)

7. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    I would also recommend S-AF unless you are looking for a burst of tracking shots on a moving subject, which is what I understand C-AF is for. For something "moving" but not incredibly fast, you will likely get better results with S-AF (single point or full grid) and just refocusing if you want to take multiple images.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    I use a single central focus point, S-AF, and high speed continuous. Fire multiple very short bursts.
    Here is the proof it works - this is with the 75-300 lens set to 300mm and this gull was moving very fast.

Herring2.

• Like Like x 4
  9. JohnN

JohnN Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    Thanks for the tips - does seem that its 100% use single focus and let the fast AF do its thing - even looking at Olympus' site (here) even they seem to do it that way.

So, are you guys using the veiwfinder or touch screen?

10. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Exactly this ;

• Like Like x 1
  11. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    Viewfinder.

• Like Like x 1
  12. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    I have a 1Dm2 and 7D, and I almost always shoot with a single AF point only, whether it's a perched bird or bif.

13. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    For most fast moving stuff I like to use the touchscreen and S-AF in burst mode. C-TR is pretty bad as far as hit rate for me, the biggest issue is losing the target, not the actual focusing, though I have had a few times where it just refused to shoot (Focus priority on). That said, my M43 stuff quite a ways behind even a cheaper phase detect SLR for C-AF.