Any tips on autofocus and moving targets?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by JohnN, Aug 23, 2014.

1. JohnN

JohnN Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    Hi,

While I can't complain about the image quality of E-M10, but I really am having trouble capturing moving targets.
    I understand that mirrorless cameras aren't quite there yet, but my experiments so far have left me with nothing usable, so I know I must be missing something.

Even on relativity passive subjects like ducks (on water, not even in flight) I found focus in C-AF would hunt horribly and C-AF with tracking was insane - it wandered around all over the place focusing on everything but the duck - I actually found myself laughing at one point it was so funny :)

Anyway I'm sure its not as bad as it seems so any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Ta,

John

2. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    To be honest, I find the best way to get decent results with moving targets is S-AF. The Olympus cameras lock single focus so fast that you normally get a decent rate of keepers this way.

• Like Like x 1
  3. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Is there a way to set AF to just one point? Water is higher contrast than just about everything on a duck, so you want to have only a small area to focus on.

I was able to shoot flying Gannets with my GH2 and GH3, so it should be doable on the e-m10.

• Like Like x 1
  4. JohnN

JohnN Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    Cheers guys - yep there is a way to do single point, but it would be hard to keep it on it (well a duck wouldn't be but something more interesting would be).

So, ditch C-AF in all modes and just go with single point?
    Oh just wondering do you guys tend to use the back screen or viewfinder?

BTW Rob, love your images :thumbup: and have you moved to Sony or just testing?

5. ThereAndBackAgain

ThereAndBackAgain Fighting GAS

May 26, 2014
    North Devon, England
    David
    You may already have found this tweak and I don't pretend to be any kind of expert but FWIW I found a huge improvement since enabling the small focus point on my E-M5. Hope this helps.
    David

• Like Like x 1
  6. JohnN

JohnN Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    Thanks David - I'll have a go.

Usually on my Canon I'd only use single point on stationary targets, swapping to 9 point for fast moving (or all points if theres no other distractions, such as a clear sky etc) - so this is all seeming very alien :)

7. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    I would also recommend S-AF unless you are looking for a burst of tracking shots on a moving subject, which is what I understand C-AF is for. For something "moving" but not incredibly fast, you will likely get better results with S-AF (single point or full grid) and just refocusing if you want to take multiple images.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    I use a single central focus point, S-AF, and high speed continuous. Fire multiple very short bursts.
    Here is the proof it works - this is with the 75-300 lens set to 300mm and this gull was moving very fast.

Herring2.

• Like Like x 4
  9. JohnN

JohnN Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    Thanks for the tips - does seem that its 100% use single focus and let the fast AF do its thing - even looking at Olympus' site (here) even they seem to do it that way.

So, are you guys using the veiwfinder or touch screen?

10. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Exactly this ;

• Like Like x 1
  11. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    Viewfinder.

• Like Like x 1
  12. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    I have a 1Dm2 and 7D, and I almost always shoot with a single AF point only, whether it's a perched bird or bif.

13. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    For most fast moving stuff I like to use the touchscreen and S-AF in burst mode. C-TR is pretty bad as far as hit rate for me, the biggest issue is losing the target, not the actual focusing, though I have had a few times where it just refused to shoot (Focus priority on). That said, my M43 stuff quite a ways behind even a cheaper phase detect SLR for C-AF.