1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Any thoughts on problem with dust inside camera

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by photoers, Jun 5, 2014.

1. photoers

photoers New to Mu-43

Jun 5, 2014
    I have owned a Lumix DMC -TZ7 and have taken thousands of photos with it am generally very happy with its performance.

However I recently had to have it serviced as photos suddenly, for no obvious reason, started showing blemishes in three areas. These started appearing mid way through a shoot of some countryside scenes. It looked to my inexpert eye as though the sensor had been damaged or burnt out in some way.

I can't understand how dust or other material might have entered the camera, particularly mid-way through a shoot during which the camera remained in my hand the whole time. The shoot took place on a calm, sunny day and the air was free from dust.

How can I avoid similar problems
    Thanks!

2. Ellsass

Ellsass Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2014
    I had something similar with a Canon compact that was pretty new and had only been used indoors. I opened it up (likely voiding the warranty) and used a “rocket” blower on the sensor. That did the trick.

When you extend and retract the lenses on these cameras they act like bellows blowing and sucking air through the crevices around the telescopic lens. That’s how dust gets in there.

3. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Try this

The extendable lens on point and shoot cameras is essentially a small piston. As it extends and retracts there is definitely an exchange of air, from within the inner lens to the outside world. While at one of the local dealers I somehow got into a conversation on this topic. The sales person told me that sooner or later dust will get inside, regardless of what brand camera you have.

I read on another forum that the person used a shop vac, placing the hose over the front of the camera while operating the zoom. He commented that most of the dust was gone, or perhaps redistributed elsewhere. It's definitely worth a shot.