1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Any thoughts on E-M5 price drops?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dflachbart, Mar 9, 2013.

1. dflachbart

dflachbart New to Mu-43

Mar 9, 2013
    Hi there,

I'm ready to take the plunge and enter the Mu-43 world (currently a Canon 60D owner). I've settled on the E-M5 and done some price research, and I found that Olympus had been temporarily dropping the price to $1199 for the 12-50 kit in pretty regular intervals (Dec, Jan, Feb), and I was waiting for it to happen now in March too :wink:... The more disappointed I was when they came out with the $150 rebate offer a few days ago, which is useless to me since I don't plan to get any additional lenses right now.

So I'm just wondering what you guys think, does this rebate offer (which is valid until end of March) mean that most likely there won't be any other price drop any time soon? I know that something like this is pure speculation, but some additional opinions would be great :smile:

I am aware that you can get the E-M5 cheaper than $1299 on eBay or some other less known sites, but I prefer to get it from a major retailer (Amazon, Adorama, B&H etc.)

Dirk

2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Too bad that you can't take advantage of the lens rebate... great deal on some awesome lenses that don't see much in the way price drops.

I could see there being a $100 price drop on the body/kit in the future, if sales start slowing. Then, there will be a huge price drops, new and used, when they release the new version (no clue when that will happen).

If you are set on just grabbing the kit for now, maybe check out the refurbished units at Cameta. I haven't read any bad feedback from people that have purchased from them and you can get the 12-50 kit for $1049 with a 1 year warranty.

3. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
  4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    +1 - I've never had problems with a refurb. :cool:

5. BAPHA

BAPHA Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2012
    Hey Dirk,

Even if you don't necessarily plan on purchasing any additional lenses for yourself, why don't you take advantage of the rebate and sell those lenses? For the 3 lenses you are eligible that's $450 in your pocket? Even if you have to sell them slightly below market value you could still pocket some nice change thus, effectively getting the OMD for a lot less.

Yes, perhaps the body drops in price in the future but who knows? The lenses will probably not change that much, especially classics such as the 45, 75, 12 and 17.

So, there is some effort involved here such as a bigger initial investment and then taking the time to sell those lenses but it could work out in your favor in the end. Just a thought.

6. memzinla

memzinla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Is the OM-D box from cameta the original OM-D box or the reconditioned box?

7. dflachbart

dflachbart New to Mu-43

Mar 9, 2013
    Thanks very much for pointing this out, I haven't looked at it that way! I checked out the details again on which lenses qualify for the rebate, and I actually could manage to get three 17mm f/2.8 lenses (which are only $299) for later resale. Heck, I probably end up keeping one for myself :wink:. Being new to Olympus gear, is the 17mm f/2.8 a decent lens?

The only thing that is a bit of a concern - I hope there's no restriction that you cannot get three identical lenses for the rebate, at least I couldn't see anything in this regard on the rebate form. If anyone thinks otherwise, please yell!

Thanks,

Dirk

8. Mike_B

Mike_B Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 30, 2012
    St. Louis, MO
    Mike
    Cameta Refurbs

I got my E-P3 as a refurb from Cameta. Was just like new with fast shipping.....

9. JStheoriginal

JStheoriginal Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Canada
    Justin
  10. dflachbart

dflachbart New to Mu-43

Mar 9, 2013
    Thanks for the info, but it looks like this is for Canada residents only, the shopping cart doesn't allow to input anything else but a Canadian address :frown:

Dirk

11. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    You might find the 17mm 2.8 a little harder to sell. I'd check to see what the resale price for that would be by searching the forums. The 17mm 1.8 would sell more easily because it is a newer lens. You could probably resell it here for ~$450. Resale value of the 45mm 1.8, is probably around $300-320, depending on how fast you want to sell it.

12. JStheoriginal

JStheoriginal Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Canada
    Justin
  13. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Agreed on that, the 17mm f2.8 usually sells used around $180 - after fees and shipping it definitely would not be worth the time and effort (you'd likely make $10-15/lens). There are newer lenses that still sell about 10-15% below msrp, however you'd be looking at shelling out $400 or more per lens up front.

14. dflachbart

dflachbart New to Mu-43

Mar 9, 2013
    Thanks for all the replies! I pulled the trigger and ordered the kit from Amazon, including two 17mm f/2.8 and one 45mm f/1.8. I'll probably keep one of the 17mm for myself, and if I can make just around 150 bucks with the other two lenses I'll get this one practically for free. As an added bonus Amazon offers 2% back in rewards on the camera/lenses, and I paid everything with the Amazon store card which currently offers 12 months no interest so I don't have to rush to sell the other lenses :smile:. So all in all a pretty good deal.

Thanks again,

Dirk

15. thomastaesu

thomastaesu Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    ATL, GA
    Thomas
    Please remember 12-50 is one of least sharp lens in m4/3. Do not make up your mind about EM5 until you put some good lens on it.

16. CarlB

CarlB Mu-43 Veteran

The 17mm 2.8 lens is decent, but there's not a lot of "love" for it. Check your used and refurb prices on it before plunking down $299 expecting to be able to sell it for ... Well, check first!

Also remember, bokeh on m43 camera is a bit harder to get than on a "similarly numbered" APS-C camera. To get some decent bokeh, you'll want to keep that 45mm f1.8 as it's takes gorgeous, sharp pictures and gets great bokeh. Not going to be able to to say the same for the 17mm f2.8 lens ...

17. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The price going down could be caused by several things and perhaps a combination of several/all.

First is that all camera companies, Olympus included did not show the profits they expected this last quarter. So to get back up they offer rebates or mark items down to boost sales.

Second is that Olympus has often started their products high and then brought them down over time. Those who can't wait end up paying more and having to deal with any early production bugs.

Another reason could be that they have a surplus and need to clear them out{I doubt this one because the E-M5 has been a big seller since day one}.

Lastly, it could be that they are lowering the price because a new OM-D model is about to come out.

18. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    I had BestBuy match the Adorama ad last week, $1149 w/12-50 lens.

19. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    Bill
    I've only bought a refurb camera ever. It was my current EP3 and it was from Cameta. No issues at all. :smile: