1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Any Thoughts on Bower/Bocan Adapter?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by snegron, May 11, 2013.

1. snegron

snegron Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2013
    SW Florida
    I ordered a Bower/Bocan adapter to fit Nikon lenses on my G5. It hasn't arrived yet, but I thought I would get a head start on understanding its strengths and limitations in advance.

I plan to use it only with Nikon AIS manual focus lenses. My first concern is if the lenses will fit properly. Will the metal prong on my lenses scratch or interfere with the G5 body? Will my lenses work properly? The lenses I plan (hope) to use are:

-24mm 2.8 AIS
    -35mm 2.0 AIS
    -50mm 1.4 AIS
    -50mm 1.8 AIS
    -105mm 2.5 AIS

Thanks in advance for any feedback! :smile:

2. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    If the adapter is properly made the lenses will fit properly.
    The adapter will be roughly 1" thick and will thus mount the lens well away from the body. There will be no problem with the tabs on the lens' f/stop rings.
    Yes, although "work properly" may not be what you assume is proper. There will be absolutely no interaction between the body and the lens, no autofocus, no auto lens stopdown when fired, no meter coupling.

You must manually focus. When you set and f/stop the lens will stop down to that aperture instead of remaining open until the instant of exposure. This means you will need to open the lens to max to focus and then stopdown to the desired f/stop manually before shooting. Metering will work fine but only in the Aperture Priority and Manual modes (setting S or P will result in Aperture Priority).

You must also set the menu option for shooting without lens. The factory default setting will prevent the camera from shooting with adapted lenses.

3. snegron

snegron Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2013
    SW Florida
    Thanks for the feedback! I guess another positive is that I can use non-Ai lenses now as well since I don't have to worry about damaging AF contacts.

4. snegron

snegron Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2013
    SW Florida
    Update:

I got the Bower/Bocan adapter today. The fit on both ends seems fine. The adapter is made out of metal, feels solid. I tried a couple of manual focus lenses on it (Nikon 50mm 1.8, 50mm 1.4, 35mm 2.0 and 105mm 2.5). The best fit in terms of balance seems to be the 50mm 1.8 AIS. The others felt a bit heavy and the prongs are a bit distracting (the 1.8 does not have the prong). I took a couple of snapshots and they turned out ok in terms of exposure, color, contrast and sharpness.