Any third party grips?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jerrykur, Oct 31, 2012.

1. jerrykur

jerrykur Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2012
    Northern CA

I am looking at getting an OM-D but the grip area looks pretty weak (and the back function buttons). I have thought about getting the official grip, but it is $300 and includes the extra battery case which I really do not want. For some small body cameras such as the canon G9 there were 3rd party grips held on with sticky tape. They worked quite well and were cheap ($20). Is such an item available for the OM-D?

2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Haven't seen such a grip. The E-M5's right side isn't flat, so hooking in a grip is more difficult to begin with.

Beyond the Olympus HLD-6 grip, both RRS and JLM make grips that screw into the tripod mount. Both go for around $150.
  3. dfreezy

dfreezy Mu-43 Regular

Oct 23, 2012
    Boston, MA
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 20, 2012
    Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia
    The design shape looks good, but I'd be somewhat unsure of the strength of the grip to bottom plate when using heavier lenses. It looks like some sort of resin moulding which would seem to be lacking in sufficient strength around the battery & grip area.

I made my own out of aluminium angle, attached cork & covered the grip in leather. I have all the confidence in mine not letting me down at all.

A work in progress shot.

I hope this can give you some ideas of your own.