1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Any tennis fans out there?

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by Larry H-L, Aug 16, 2014.

1. Larry H-L

Larry H-L Mu-43 Regular

Aug 6, 2013
    Ohio, USA
    Larry
    Any tennis fans out there?

I rode over to Cincinnati with some friends to watch the Western & Southern Open tennis tournament earlier this week. In the late 1980s I covered this event as a photojournalist for one of the local Cincinnati newspapers where I was a staffer, but I hadn’t been back since then.

I was busy with some commercial / industrial photo jobs just prior to this event, so I wasn’t in the mood to carry any heavy full-frame gear. I settled on a single Olympus EPL-1, VF-3, and the two inexpensive kit zooms - the 14-42mm and the 40-150mm. It all fit in a small bag.

The photos were difficult to color balance as the players alternate between standing on bright blue or bright green surfaces, and the sun was popping in and out with some artificial court lighting thrown in for free.

My timing isn’t what it used to be, but here are some of the resulting pictures, from both early morning practices and some matches later in the day.

If you are a tennis fan, you’ll recognize most of the players…. starting out with Ana Ivonovic, who beat Maria Sharapova tonight in the semi-finals.

tennis-1.jpg

tennis-2.jpg

tennis-3.jpg

tennis-4.jpg

tennis-5.jpg

tennis-6.jpg

tennis-7.jpg

tennis-8.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  2. Larry H-L

Larry H-L Mu-43 Regular

Aug 6, 2013
    Ohio, USA
    Larry
    And a few more from the tennis tournament in Cincinnati this week.

tennis-9.jpg

tennis-10.jpg

tennis-11.jpg

tennis-12.jpg

tennis-13.jpg

tennis-14.jpg

tennis-15.jpg

tennis-16.jpg

• Like Like x 9
  3. crossen

crossen Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2014
    Ohio
    [
    Your photos are excellent! Among the best tennis photos I have seen.

I was at the Western Southern Tennis Tournament for the quarrterfinals and the finals. I go every year.

My seats weren't close enough to court level to get very many good photos. I do have a couple of photos of the tournament I would like to post, but unfortunately I don't know how to post here from iPhoto. The instructions on this m43 site for posting here ask for a url but I want to post the photos themselves, I don't have a url for them.

Crossen

4. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    One of these days I need to go to this. My cousin lives just a few minutes away from there.

5. crossen

crossen Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2014
    Ohio
    You can see from the photos that the stadiums at the Western Southern, though modern and comfortable, are not huge. This means you can get a lot closer to the players and to the action than in the giant stadiums and huge crowds like the U.S. Open in New York.
    Tennis is a big deal in Cincinnati and I am told that the players are treaed well here.
    So, yes, I recommend attending if you can and seeing if you like it.
    Crossen

6. Larry H-L

Larry H-L Mu-43 Regular

Aug 6, 2013
    Ohio, USA
    Larry
    Thanks for the comments!

Yes, some of the courts have small seating areas so you are really close. On the practice courts, you are often within 10-15 feet from the players.

Go early in the week, and go early in morning; you'll be able to see many of the top players on the practice courts.

If you've never been to Cincinnati, it is a lovely city with great food and super friendly people.

I'll definitely go back again next year.

7. CiaranCReilly

CiaranCReilly Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Dublin
    Ciaran Reilly
    Great shots! I like the crowd shot too, adds another dimension to the event. What kind of shutter speed do you need to freeze the action, like #3 and #4? I guess it needs to be pretty fast

8. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    When posting here, click Go Advanced, and scroll down to Manage Attachments.

Barry

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43

9. Larry H-L

Larry H-L Mu-43 Regular

Aug 6, 2013
    Ohio, USA
    Larry
    Ciaran,

The faster the shutter speed the better.

I generally adjust ISO as needed to stay faster than 1/500th. 1/1000th is preferred.

• Like Like x 1
  10. BSH

BSH Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2012
    WI
    Awesome! Looks like MF/T has no trouble doing sports.