Any suggestion for a good, free photo stitching software?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by hkpzee, Aug 2, 2012.

1. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    I have never tried or used any stitching software before. Heck, I haven't even figured out how to use the panaromic function on any of my Olympus m4/3 cameras, but my dad asked me about this last night, so I figured I would tap on the knowledge of the resourceful folks here!

Thanks for your recommendations in advance!
  2. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    The Windows Live Photo Gallery that comes with Windows 7 gives you no control over the process but is functional. Then there's always the Olympus software itself to play with.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    Microsoft ICE is genuinely good (not the same as previous post, you download it separately).

Make sure you lock focus, whitebalance, iso and aperture when you're taking multiple shots for a panorama - you don't need to use a dedicated mode :)
    • Like Like x 2
  4. GaryInOz

GaryInOz Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2010
    Sydney, Oz
    • Like Like x 1
  5. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    • Like Like x 1
  6. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Thank you, guys! I think I'm gonna give Window ICE a try myself!
  7. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    I did a check of ICE versus Windows Live Photo Gallery, and they appear to be built on the same processing algorithm, but ICE allows you some additional control versus WLPG that is only automatic.
  8. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Another vote for ICE
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    Nice, never had heard of ICE.

I haven't used this, but saw it recommended in another thread (site? can't remember). But I saved it because it was free: AutoStitch
    • Like Like x 1
  10. allenrowand

allenrowand Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Allen Rowand
    I've been using Hugin. I put the camera in the Panorama setting in Scene mode and the camera locks the exposure and focus. Once I import the shots I open them in Hugin, put in the lens multiplier (2x for m4/3) and let it do its thing.

There's an example on my blog of an 11 exposure pano processed this way.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I like ICE but I have had a LOT of stitch errors with it. Hugin generates smaller files for some reason, but it doesn't make such egregious mistakes.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. nsd20463

nsd20463 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 30, 2011
    Santa Cruz, CA
    hugin ++

Another vote for hugin.

It gives you full control of everything if you want it. And it handles exposure differences, vignetting, lens distortion too. And finally, you can override the defaults and explicitly include or exclude areas from different photos in the stitch, which lets you handle objects who moved (and improve the composition :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    i used Hugin too but I didn't put the multiplier for the lens

Mew Lake Beach by rpamparo, on Flickr
  14. theconejo

theconejo Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 31, 2012
    It's late maybe that's why, but at my first attempt with hugin I had issues getting a 5 photo panoramic to line up properly. Not exactly sure what was wrong but since I was spending a little too much time on it I check out ICE and it effortlessly made the image.

Like others have said, if you need the control and ability to adjust then Hugin might be the one for you. Or you can adjust the photos prior in your processing software, then easily stitch with ICE, which is what I did this time. And I'm happy with it, although there is at least one spot that is off...although it might have been a wave in the water... sad. Change the "n" to an "o" in image url for full size.

5 hdr shots with 5 shots each. First time trying hdr and also first stitch. Woo!

Sun Moon Lake, Taiwan. GF2 with 14mm.
  15. davidleetong

davidleetong Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2012
    David from
  16. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    I've been happy using ICE but have noticed some bulging distortion on straight lines, almost like a fisheye effect. Would hugin control this better or be able to correct for this?

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App
  17. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Having used some very powerful but very much hands on methods to do panoramas gotta say Microsoft ICE is really exceptionally easy. Literally drag and drop.
    Caution:~30MB pano with Mount Diablo.

Next up is a full on 2D mosaic with HDRx - I might die ...
  18. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Tried Hugin ... MS ICE gobbled up my 114 images and in about 4 minutes had a pano. Hugin is still grinding away 12 hours later ....

Also Hugin had a big problem when there were some images that did not overlap on all three sides (a hole in a mosaic).

Kind of goofy that there seems no way to 'prep' either SW for the pano layout. I already know the relative placement off all the images so if I could give that setup info to the SW it would really cut down the size of the search space to find the overlaps and "controll/reference" points.

To be fair I have barely scratched the surface with Hugin but seems to be stuffing everything into tiffs and just hogging resources.

EDIT - Hugin just failed to stitch, again.