Any still use the GF-1..Opinions too

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by rkhndjr, Jan 6, 2014.

1. rkhndjr

rkhndjr Mu-43 Regular

Oct 9, 2010
    I used many GF-1 cameras over the years and miss mine. Wondering if many still use it and their feelings. Thanks.
  2. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Still takes good pictures within the limitations of its sensor. I don't see anything wrong with the camera. There just happens to be cameras out today that exceed those limitations. :wink:
  3. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I don't, but I've been close to re-buying it (would be my third time, iirc) a couple of times. It is one of the few cameras I can say I miss, though I do wonder to what extent I am romanticizing it's capabilities vs the newer generation bodies.
  4. rkhndjr

rkhndjr Mu-43 Regular

Oct 9, 2010
    Thank you. I was very happy with the ones I used and am not capable any longer of finding faults in any of these cameras. Too sophisticated for me:))
  5. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    I use mine to take my "Show us your E-M5" pics. :biggrin:

It's hard to go back to it, especially in low light. However, for black-and-white, it can be fun.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    I've still got mine and still use it occaisionally. What I like about it is that it's so simple to use.
  7. Warren T.

Warren T. Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2010
    San Francisco
    My wife and I still use our GF1. The GF1 is my wife's favorite camera and I only get to use it when she's not shooting with it. She won 1st place in a photo contest using the GF1, and placed 2 other times with photos taken using the GF1. It get configured differently depending on my mood (with or without EVF and with our without grip, see my avatar :smile: )

8. dweller

dweller Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 14, 2012
    London, UK
    I like using it, I feel the 100 iso gives really nice files.
    Good size and weight,
    simple instinctive and well placed and quality buttons
  9. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    What do folks like better about the GF1 than the GX1? I haven't used the former, but quite like the latter, and it does have much updated tech over the GF1. And it's cheap!
    • Like Like x 1
  10. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
    Still have and shoot with a GF-1. It has limitations (high ISO capability, lousy viewfinder) for me, but it's a camera I just bonded with for some reason. I enjoy shooting with it much more than the G3 I bought as an upgrade. Not sure why...
  11. stimilek

stimilek Mu-43 Rookie

Still have and shoot with GF-1 too, but mostly with G6. GF-1 uses my wife. :)
  12. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Without question the GX1 will outperform it technically. If you have it I wouldn't consider the GF1 to replace it.

I think some of us (me included) prefer the GF1 because we've attached sentimental value to it, and because we never feel like we got the upgrade we were waiting for. The GF successors were all something less than the GF1, and while the GX1 seemed to be the logical replacement, it came across to me as OK, but not so impressive (based on my expectations I'm sure). The GX7 is surely a worthy successor, but it is clearly in a different class so I'm not really counting it.
  13. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I guess I need to figure out what gestalt the GF1 possesses, since I feel the GX1 is also the type of camera one could get attached to.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I'm attached to mine. My GF1 has been my go-to camera since they first came out. I've been using it almost exclusively since 2010 and it feels as familiar as an old friend. My 5D Mark II never felt that way. Yes, the GF1 has limitations, but it's light years ahead of cameras I used back in the day. With care, the GF1 is still capable of outstanding photography, but it's up to the photographer to know the limitations and how to work with them. A newer and more technically advanced camera doesn't guarantee better photos. Last month, I finally semi-retired the GF1. After thousands and thousands of photos, it's beginning to show its age and occasionally misses shots. I replaced it with the E-M1, which I'm quickly feeling at home with.
  15. Dogman

Dogman Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2012
    Yes, I still do. After getting the GX7, the GF-1 just sat on the shelf. It wasn't worth the effort to sell, so I converted it to IR (by LifePixel). It just got a second life! And, of course, it shares the same lenses as the GX7.
  16. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    The GF1, 20/1.7 was my entry into u4/3. I still use it a bit. There is something about the feel and handling that keeps me from getting rid of it.
  17. MizOre

MizOre Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    It's what I have -- and I'll probably get an additional camera in the next couple of years. Works, and is fine for web display.
  18. jmax

jmax Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2012
    I'm still using GF1 since 2010 and I'm sure it's a great "no-new" camera in good light conditions and below ISO 800. That environment cover the 95% of my photographic skills and shots, and knowing it's limitations I can live with this camera, so I enjoyed it a lot. Only when this percentage decreases or the camera die I will replace it with a more modern one. If I would had to replace it today surely the GX7 will be chosen for the same rangefinder form factor that made me choose the GF1 and m43 system in the past, and obviously for it's higher performance.

Meanwhile I wish a long-life to my GF1 and hope enjoying photography with it much more years.

Of course, if your desire is to buy one today, there are better bodies in performance for a not higher price.

19. ornithology

ornithology Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2013
    Vancouver, BC
    Would you consider the GF1/GX1 a worthy backup to an EM5?
  20. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    The GX1 more so than the GF1 for improved sensor. You can get them used really cheap these days. I don't think anyone at all would be poorly served by having a GX1 backup, it's a pleasure to use.
    • Like Like x 2