Any Sirui T-1005X Owners?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Replytoken, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I am looking for a very compact travel tripod to compliment my Gitzo Series 3 that I normally use with my Nikon and Olympus gear. The Gitzo is very light for its size and capacity, but it is still larger than what I want to carry on an upcoming trip that will only involve my Olympus gear. The Sirui T-1005X has great appeal to me as it has a reasonable leg diameter for its size and weight. I have a Sirui C-10 ballhead already, and will mount this on whatever set of legs I end up purchasing. I am reasonably happy with the C-10, and expect that the T-1005X should be an acceptable performer with a light load and its center column down. But, I wanted to hear from owners before I make another "investment" with B&H. I was also considering the Feisol CT-3332, but the folded size and price are a bit more than I want for a second tripod. Tripod legs, like camera bags, seem to suffer from Goldilocks syndrome. No matter what we have, it always seems to be too big or too small for our next adventure.

Thanks,

--Ken

2. walter_j

walter_j Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Hagwilget, B.C., Canada
    Walter
    I have the T-005 with the c-10 head. I am replacing the head, since I dislike it so much. It's difficult to attach the camera since it doesn't have a quick release. I'd prefer a head that has levels on it too.The tripod is very light, and thats good for packing, but not so good for pictures if you have a heavy lens. It feels unsteady. I'm looking for a better one. Maybe my expectations are too high for a lightweight tripod and head.

• Like Like x 1
  3. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    I have the Sirui T-025X which is more or less the same with carbon fiber. I love the thing. I took it on a 50 mile backpacking trip this summer and loved every moment of it. It's an always with me tripod--something I never though I could do with before. It has the C-10X ballhead rather than the C-10, but that head works really well. Even at a 45 degree tilt it can take the weight.

15712086371_629aef7a9b_b.
    Sirui T-025X 1 by MikeAubrey, on Flickr

15715548022_1f67a01128_b.
    Sirui T-025X 2 by MikeAubrey, on Flickr

No complaints. I hate large tripods. I get their purpose, but when I had one, I never actually took it out with me.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    My preference is for a screw-knob and levels are not a requirement, so I have not been unhappy with the C-10 in those regards. I would concur about the T-005 not being steady, and that was why I was considering the T-1005X, especially if the center column is not extended, and if the last legs can be kept retracted if at all possible. If this was my only tripod, I would consider some other models, but I suspect that with some careful use, I can get the T-1005X to perform without signs of vibration or movement. You may want to look at the Feisol Traveler (CT3441?) as a possible upgrade.

Good luck,

--Ken

5. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I was initially considering the T-025X, Mike, but I am just not a fan of fixed center columns. I know that it can be removed, but as the T-1005X had a (re-)movable column and slightly larger diameter legs, it made the short list instead.

I am selective as to when I use a tripod, but when I do (usually for BIF or time exposures shots), I like something that I can turn my back on and not have to worry about my gear tumbling over. I may not have that luxury with the T-1005X, but I suspect it will be more stable than many smaller travel models from the usual suspects. If the T-1005X does not cut it, there are some additional models, as well as that Feisol CT-3332 to consider. At some point up the scale, my Gitzo re-enters the scene as it is quite compact and light for a full-size rig. It is just not an easy item to travel with, especially when I have other gear and personal items to carry on a plane.

Thanks,

--Ken

6. letsgofishing

letsgofishing Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 21, 2012
    South Africa
    Mike Kaplan
    I've had the T005X for about a year now and as a light weight tripod, I'm very happy with it. I shoot most of my seascapes from a fairly low angle, so I've removed the centre column which adds stability to the tripod. WIth my EM5, 3rd party grip and 12-40, I'm happy with the performance. I shoot long exposures, so I do use a remote release.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Thanks, Mike. This is good to hear as my trip should involve a lot of seascape photos, and the T-1005X is a bit beefier than the T005X so I am counting on that extra margin to work in my favor.

--Ken

8. laser8

laser8 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 29, 2013
    Mare nostrum, Istria
    I have it with the g10 head, and it's a fairly solid tripod for m43 cameras/lenses. It's quite well made too. I mostly use it for long exposures and timelapses and never had an issue, even in steady winds.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I have so far been happy with Sirui's quality. When shooting BIF, I appreciate being able to walk away from my gear on a windy day and not have to worry about it. That stability really made me appreciate my Gitzo.

Thanks,

--Ken