1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Any silver M5 owners now wish they'd bought black?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Dave in Wales, May 4, 2012.

1. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    IMVHO..........:smile:

The black model, 'Darth Vader' as someone described it, is 'awesome' (oh how I hate that word)

The silver model less so, and I have to say quite ordinary.

As I said....IMVHO :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  2. jgregs

jgregs Mu-43 Regular

Nov 21, 2010
    Southern Ontario
    IMO, the silver looks amazing, until i see it with the battery grip (which is a must for me), that's probably the only reason I thought the black body was an easy decision

3. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez

blasphemey!

4. LVL8hacker

LVL8hacker Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Pinehurst, North Carolina
    Larry Anderson
    Hhhhheeeeeellllll nnnnnoooooo!!!!

5. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Nikon, Canon, and Panasonic have the market for black cameras locked up, give me the silver :biggrin:

6. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    I choose black because there will be a lot of people will going for silver, it's EP-3 silver all over again.

7. lowincash

lowincash Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I'm pretty happy with my silver, was my first choice :D

8. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I handled a silver demo model before deciding. After seeing that the silver was painted on and not genuine bare metal, I opted for the black. If the camera is just faux metallic, I'd rather get it in black.

• Like Like x 6
  9. recasper

recasper Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2012
    Alameda, California
    I did not know this.. but now that I do, I am even more satisfied that I cancelled my silver pre-order and settled with a Black body that was available.

10. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    If someone really wanted to be retro, they'd get the black camera. The only reason they had silver metallic cameras from back in the day was that they hadn't fully mastered adhering black paint to the metal frame. Hence all the brassing cameras of the era! :wink:

11. LVL8hacker

LVL8hacker Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Pinehurst, North Carolina
    Larry Anderson
    Come on now...thats stretching it a bit....it's powder coated just like the black one, just silver. Faux metallic? Its made of the same stuff as the black one, just a different color. You can not tell me truthfully that the silver one does not have a better feeling grip..because it does. The black body grip feels like plastic.

I honestly think some people are just trying to convince themselves that the black one is better due to the fact that it is kind of hard to get a hold of a silver one right now. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  12. CUB

CUB Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 19, 2012

Dave, is your E-M5 black or chrome?

13. Way_Huspag

Way_Huspag New to Mu-43

Apr 25, 2012
    UK
    I always associate black with professional manual SLRs... when I was studying photography in the mid 90's the daddies of 35mm slrs were the black Nikon F3/OM4ti etc, silver was more widely available and it seemed all the amateur starter cameras were silver. The silver OM-D reminds me of something like the Pentax ME-super, good little camera though it was.

Again just 'imho'... the black OM-D is the closest thing yet to a digital version of my beloved Nikon FA, which is sadly not getting any use these days.

14. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Beautiful Black :smile:

15. garfield_cz

garfield_cz Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2011
    Czech Republic
    Pavel
    I've owned Canon 50E in silver/black combination, since that time I don't like silver finish. Especially since I discovered that in most cases it is some kind of silver painting. Black is discreet way to go for me.

16. broadway

broadway Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2011
    UK
    Black was usually extra money, so silver was the cheaper option.

17. bitmatt

bitmatt Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2012
    Cleveland
    Matt
    Technically it is powder-coat finish, same as the black.

18. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I prefer silver because when I am out in the field the camera stays cooler in the sun

When I used to shoot medium and large format I would bring a small white sheet to drape over the cameras to keep them cooler when i was in the sun. All of my35mm bodies were silver.

So the silver OM will be my choice.

19. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
  20. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    If I were to get one, I would want the black one, but with the leather-like grip of the silver one. Is that wrong?