Any sample images of OLY 17mm 1.8?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by digitalandfilm, Jan 24, 2013.

1. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    I'm considering a purchase but would like to see some images from folks here.. not rah rah rah websites, but normal (relatively speaking) folks.

DISREGARD- found the thread

2. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    The number of samples is increasing. Do a search for 17mm, and you should be able to find at least three threads with images with the 17/1.8. Typing from iPhone now.

3. jpmac55

jpmac55 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 3, 2012
    Averill Park, NY
    So what do the 17mm image providers think of this new lens? I am a big fan of the 35mm range so am hoping to learn more from mu43 members.

4. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    I like it so far. Sharp in the center (at the very least), fast and silent AF, small, well built. Oly needs to include a hood and case though for something that costs $500. But Oly has gotten pretty cheap about all of its m4/3 products when it comes to giving "extras" to its consumers. That's too bad.

5. Bravin Neff

Bravin Neff Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    Detroit
    Bravin Neff
    Its a great lens. Colors are great. Its very sharp. Its small and light. It feels great. Its very well built. Focuses crazy fast. And if you shoot video it focuses completely silently.

• Like Like x 1
  6. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
  7. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I like it a lot. I haven't spent any time at all with 100% crops, so you'll have to go to others for your pixel peeping, but I like the rendering and I love the functionality, between the fast AF, the fast aperture, and the clutch ring for manual focus.

-Ray

8. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    If you need the focal length, this is the best option.

9. gshoe

gshoe New to Mu-43

Jan 6, 2013
    Kansas City
    Greg Shoemaker
    Mine just arrived today. I am sending my 2-week old Panasonic 25 back. I'm not claiming that the Oly is better, but in the things that matter to me it was an easy choice. I love the build quality, the compact size, the focal length, the focus speed, the ease of MF and it's friggin sexy!. In terms of IQ, I'm glad I did not let the "bad press" scare me from giving this lens a try. Without digging into 100% crops in every corner, my everyday observation is that this lens will have no problem producing lovely pictures. It is a great tool for letting me worry about subject and composition and in the end that is all that matters.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    ...and personally speaking, it's size is just about as perfect as I could ever hope for on my EM5. As absurd as it may sound to some I actually think the pancakes are TOO small, sure they serve a purpose being that size but I'm simply talking about on camera ergonomics...by no means do I find something like the PL25 to be a big lens (especially for an f1.4) nor do I find even the O75 to be a large lens for that matter, it's just that te O17 is perfect...small an light enough, yet just large enough to suite nicely how I like to hold a lens.

BTW...for those interested, picked up a stunning little 46mm Contax G2 lens hood and slip on cap (both light metal) ...the size and color suite superbly. All up cost of about $25.
    Will post images up shortly.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    *looks at my 75/1.8* ha ha ha ha.... *sob* *sob* *sob* *cries*

Even just a basic hood, doesn't need to be metal. Just high quality ABS is all I'm asking....

• Like Like x 1
  12. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Yeah. 75/1.8 is even more $$ and no hood. C'mon Oly!! Even Sigma provides hoods (at least for the DSLR lenses).

13. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    I agree. I like to grip the lens from underneath with my left hand when shooting, the lens needs a little length to be able to do that.

14. gshoe

gshoe New to Mu-43

Jan 6, 2013
    Kansas City
    Greg Shoemaker
    Do you have a link for this hood?