Any rumours on a Olympus EP5 Replacement ?

vim147

New to Mu-43
Lots of talk on the new EM5 mk2 and EM10 Mk2 announcement but any word of a EP5 replacement. Seems like they have a refresh every 2 years so it's about due.

bigboysdad

Mu-43 All-Pro
I think it was due last year, so instead of buying an E-P5, waited and waited and waited then...nothing. Then Olympus announced the E-PL7 with the selfie feature which is when I knew nothing was going to happen, gave up waiting and just bought the E-P5. I'm glad I did, as there seems to be nothing by way of speculation of a successor.

tyrphoto

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
ㅇtㅈyㅅr
It's long overdue which makes me suspect the E-P series is dead in order to consolidate their line into E-PL and OM-D.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
I think sales-wise the E-P5 was a disaster, so I don't see Olympus rushing in to build another. The OMD and high end lenses is their target now.

EdH

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ed
What made the E-P5 such a sales disaster? I assume it was the initial price. Were the EP-1, E-P2 and E-P3 more successful?

If there were to be one, I assume the E-P6 would have the guts and features of the E-M5 MkII...

It seems strange to have a Pen Lite when there's not a full-spec Pen for there to be a Lite version of it (if that makes sense!)

piggsy

Mu-43 All-Pro
TBH until there is an E-M1ii (for it to sit between and the E-M5ii) I am happy to wait. Getting a pseudo M3 between the two in the PEN form factor for cheap was pretty brilliant and I don't mind if they continue :D

bigboysdad

Mu-43 All-Pro
It's long overdue which makes me suspect the E-P series is dead in order to consolidate their line into E-PL and OM-D.
In which case, I'm going to be keeping this gem for a very long time; with the E-P5, there's no need to get excited about any other new M43 camera out there.

alan1972

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Alan Grant
It seems strange to have a Pen Lite when there's not a full-spec Pen for there to be a Lite version of it (if that makes sense!)

Right, originally Olympus were quite clear that the L and M in their smaller PEN cameras indicated Lite and Mini versions, some of their marketing for earlier PL cameras uses the "PEN Lite" phrase quite a lot. But they seem to have dropped that completely, in Europe anyway - "Lite" is never mentioned and to someone new to the system the L would just be yet another a meaningless letter.

And if you were one of those new potential users, how would you choose the right PEN for you based on this page (from the UK and replicated in other Olympus Europe sites):
http://www.olympus.co.uk/site/en/c/cameras/pen_cameras/index.html

There seems to be a clear implication that all L versions are for women and the E-P5 is for "real men", ideally heavily bearded real men. So if there are no more full-spec PENs men will either have to make do with old technology or move to OMD. Meanwhile how to choose between versions 5, 6, and 7 of the E-PL? The blurb for all of them talks about style and fitting in a handbag. Why pay more for a 7 when it is so hard to find out what makes it different from earlier versions?

The equivalent page for the OMD range does at least make it a little clearer how the 4 current models relate to each other. OK, phrases like "passionate professionals" and "inspirational newcomers" don't mean a lot, but they at least give a rough idea how the company itself views their range.

tyrphoto

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
ㅇtㅈyㅅr
The E-P5 is a brilliant camera. When I bought my E-M1, I had a hard time deciding between those two cameras.

I always thought that they would eventually come out with an E-P7 that incorporated an EVF though.

In which case, I'm going to be keeping this gem for a very long time; with the E-P5, there's no need to get excited about any other new M43 camera out there.

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
I always thought that they would eventually come out with an E-P7 that incorporated an EVF though.

The EVF is the key. I just don't think that removable VF have proven to be that popular and most want an EVF in a high end camera. For some reason Olympus has resisted putting an EVF in the Pens. We know they can be made small (RX100 III & IV) so I can only assume they are still being fiscally conservative because of the scandal. Just to note, the E-P5 also got hurt by the early "shutter shock" issue and it never really recovered once it was fixed.

piggsy

Mu-43 All-Pro
Just to note, the E-P5 also got hurt by the early "shutter shock" issue and it never really recovered once it was fixed.

Yeah that was the weird part - I mean I swear I've seen people referencing running into that on the very early M43 cameras (GF2?) as well. All of a sudden DPR discover it as an issue, and it's the thing that kills the E-P5 specifically. No mention of it on the PM2 or EM5 or anything else you can generate it on - it is definitely all new and all to do with the E-P5. And it's one of the few cameras that actually received the update to fix it ...

I mean, I'm not mad they noticed, and maybe they even helped push to get the fix for it out, but the whole thing played out super weird.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
And if you were one of those new potential users, how would you choose the right PEN for you based on this page (from the UK and replicated in other Olympus Europe sites):

There seems to be a clear implication that all L versions are for women and the E-P5 is for "real men", ideally heavily bearded real men. So if there are no more full-spec PENs men will either have to make do with old technology or move to OMD. Meanwhile how to choose between versions 5, 6, and 7 of the E-PL? The blurb for all of them talks about style and fitting in a handbag. Why pay more for a 7 when it is so hard to find out what makes it different from earlier versions?

That Oly web page is a dreadful piece of sexist stereotyping. Truth be known, there's no real need for more than 2 Pen models - perhaps no more than 1 in fact.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
The E-P5 is a brilliant camera.
I agree. I had one for a while and loved it in all ways except the lack of an inbuilt EVF. The rear screen is too limiting and the external EVF is clumsy, prone to damage and spoils the lines of the camera. I for one would prefer a "hump-less" camera and would chose a Pen with an EVF ahead of an E-M1 or E-M5.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
Yeah that was the weird part - I mean I swear I've seen people referencing running into that on the very early M43 cameras (GF2?) as well. All of a sudden DPR discover it as an issue, and it's the thing that kills the E-P5 specifically. No mention of it on the PM2 or EM5 or anything else you can generate it on - it is definitely all new and all to do with the E-P5. And it's one of the few cameras that actually received the update to fix it ...

I mean, I'm not mad they noticed, and maybe they even helped push to get the fix for it out, but the whole thing played out super weird.
I ran an E-M5 and E-P5 together for a little while. Without doubt the E-P5 suffered severe shutter shock whilst the E-M5 hardly does at all. The shutter mechanism on the two is quite different. The 0s anti-shock (EFCS) fixed the problem completely.

EdH

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ed
If the E-P7 had a built-in EVF would the VF-4 be the last in the line of external EVFs? Would it be worth updating the VF-4 just for the E-PL line? I'm not sure it would.

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
The funny part is that the E-P5 was the first to get this issue fixed by the "0 second
Right, originally Olympus were quite clear that the L and M in their smaller PEN cameras indicated Lite and Mini versions, some of their marketing for earlier PL cameras uses the "PEN Lite" phrase quite a lot. But they seem to have dropped that completely, in Europe anyway - "Lite" is never mentioned and to someone new to the system the L would just be yet another a meaningless letter.

The equivalent page for the OMD range does at least make it a little clearer how the 4 current models relate to each other. OK, phrases like "passionate professionals" and "inspirational newcomers" don't mean a lot, but they at least give a rough idea how the company itself views their range.
Oh boy, I hadn't seen this page. :doh:

dornblaser

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
David Dornblaser

Can a PEN have an EVF or would that make it an OMD? Olympus has said a couple of times that they did not think much of rangefinder style cameras, although I wish that they would change their minds.

Latest threads

Top Bottom