Any rumors about EM5 replacement?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Steven, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    Have there been any rumors about specs of EM5 follow up model? 43rumors has been strangely silent on that for a while.
    I guess Olympus is not rushing with EM6 so they could sell as many EM1s as they can :smile:
  2. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    Besides the updates the EM-1 has like focus peaking and faster shutter speed, what would you want them to change? IMO it's still very current and probably still the best camera out there all things considered. And what I mean by that is that it was the camera of the year in 2012 and is in the top 5 for 2013, IMO, of course.
  3. burdickjp

burdickjp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2013
    I would expect the features of the EP5 in an EM5 body, and that's about it. Any more than that and they'd be encroaching on EM1 market share.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk
  4. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    well, I don't really WANT them to change things, but if a new model is about to come out, I would like to know if it has some major new components/features. If it does, I may wait for it rather than get an EM5 now. If the viewfinder is the EVF4 one , for example, that's one feature that would make me go for the new model.
  5. Joelmusicman

Joelmusicman Mu-43 Regular

Nov 1, 2013
    There's really not much they could add without stepping on the E-M1, except maybe WiFi. Maybe when sensor tech improves and there's a resolution bump?
  6. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Reza Travilla
    i think it's stuck. What's need to improve? EM5 is almost perfect camera
  7. cmpatti

cmpatti Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    It's hard to see the point of a replacement before the next generation sensor comes out. Even then, I doubt I will be tempted to upgrade.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app
  8. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    A bit cleaner sensor, better VF, smaller focus box and the IBIS from E-M1. If (and it probably will) the next E-M5 has those I will buy it. I don't care about anything else. I guess the rumours start in a couple of months since I believe it's coming in April/May...
  9. BigTom

BigTom Mu-43 Regular

Sep 23, 2011
    If they did nothing except fix the ****ing fn1 button so I could use it for back button focusing without the need for dislocating my thumb I'd be happy.
  10. JimUSNY

JimUSNY Mu-43 Regular

Nov 5, 2013
    Mid Hudson Valley NY
    Just interested in what stops you from upgrading to an EM1? I would think that if they come up with an EM5 replacement it will be near the cost of an EM1 anyway or very close? the weight and size difference? its really not that much different on other than its now big enough to have buttons where you can reach them and I would assume the bigger EVF may require a larger body as well?, Maybe they wont even come out with a replacement assuming everyone using OMD series will just get the latest and greatest? if the little bit of size difference matters to a lot of people than maybe they will.. will the stop making PEN upgrades now the latest EP5 is actually more money than an EM5 since its being discounted?
  11. Joelmusicman

Joelmusicman Mu-43 Regular

Nov 1, 2013
    Jim's got a really good point. There's no need for having the E-M5 and E-P5 now that the E-M1 is here. I'd say upgrage the E-P5 with weather sealing and a built in VF in the style of the GX7.

I'd still prefer the E-M1, due to my XXL hands, but many would appreciate the compact option.
  12. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    They need to fix rubbish ergonomics for Fn1, Bracketing and Mysets for a start. Like they did on the E-P5 and E-M1. Video options are also poor. The newest sensor of course. As well as improved C-AF.

The E-M5n does not need the extra performance, robustness and water sealing of the E-M1 Or the bigger viewfinder.
    It's the increased size and price that stops me getting the E-M1.
  13. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Is the IBIS on E-M1 an improvement over E-M5? I missed that if it is. What's the deal?

What stops me from upgrading is my perceived value of the upgrade. And unless the next E-M5 really offers a shift in IQ I would imagine that same reason will stop me from upgrading to it as well. I am curious what Olympus will do. They seem committed to the E-P5, and I think they are committed to lower end O-MD model. It's hard to imagine four cameras jammed in to that space. We'll see.
  14. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    I don't see why. The E-M1 was $1400 at launch. The E-M5 was $1000. That's a 40% price increase. Why wouldn't the E-M5's replacement cost $1000?

I chose not to upgrade to the E-M1 because the primary improvement - PDAF with 4/3 lenses - was not sufficiently reliable to be worth a net $800 to me over the E-M5. But for $400 net, I would be much more interested, especially if they finally implement an electronic shutter (something Panasonic cameras have had for ages and Olympus still has not managed to do).

Almost all the size difference comes from the grip - the camera is 50% thicker and 10% wider. For packing and handling with small lenses, it makes a real difference.

I don't think they'll stop Pen upgrades, but it's fairly clear that the E-P5 pricing was a mistake. At least in the US it's selling quite poorly compared to their other models.

They need an E-M5/E-M5 upgrade, because if their only model with a built-in EVF costs $1400, they're going to cede a lot of the market to their rivals. Keeping the current E-M5 is unwise considering how much E-M5 prices have slipped since launch, and the fact that at 19 months old, it is one of the oldest pro-sumer cameras on the market today.

They probably need to keep some features exclusive to the E-M1 - I expect the full metal body and PDAF system to be those features. But all the things in the E-P5 are fair game, as are some of the ergonomic improvements.

Actually, we should be in for a flurry of new models in the first half of 2014 - the current E-PM and E-PL are also over a year old, so I'd expect them to receive updates in the spring as well.
  15. RAH

RAH Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Yes, I agree.

Hi folks, I'm new here. I am interested in the E-M5 because it is less expensive than the E-M1, pure and simple. But I would like to see the M5 upgraded with some of the improvements in the M1, like focus-peaking, hybrid sensor, etc.

I don't agree with people saying that Oly should not upgrade the M5 because it will step on sales of the M1. I mean, a hierarchy is VERY common with all types of products, including cameras. I mean, every manufacturer has many models in a line, and arguably the lower priced models step on sales of the higher ones. But the idea is that some people will not pay the top price but will pay a lower price, depending on how many bells and whistles they want/need.

Me, I want a lower-priced version of the M1, without weather sealing, but with most of the other features. I've been thinking of that as an upgrade to the M5, but really I guess I want a downgraded m5 (without weather-sealing), KEEPING THE BUILT-IN VIEWFINDER, and other features of the M1. I think Olympus is finally producing some nice cameras that can work as a substitiute for their DSLRs (I have an E-520), but right now they are too pricey for us mid-range folks.
  16. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Some folks have compared the IBIS on E-M5 and E-M1 and while E-M5 allows (or can allow) a 0.5 sec handheld photos with ~12 mm lens the E-M1 can achieve the same sharpness even with 1.5 sec exposure. They say the IBIS on E-M1 is truly remarkable... And I believe it.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. mfj197

mfj197 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2012
    Guildford, UK
    As far as I am aware the IBIS on the E-M5 and E-M1 is absolutely identical. It's certainly possible to get pin-sharp images with the 12mm with exposures longer than half a second on the E-M5. Quite freaky when you do so!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    Fix the bizarre menus, MySets, and bracketing. Oh and use the entire sensor for different aspect images - not simply crop the 4/3 image.
  19. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    The money difference and the looks. I like the silver EM5. EM1 is much less appealing to me.
    • Like Like x 1