Any Rokinon 85mm f1.4 users [or badge clones]?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by iGonzoid, Oct 11, 2012.

1. iGonzoid

iGonzoid Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 6, 2011
    Tasmania, Australia
    Hi,
    RE: Rokinon 85mm f1.4...
    I have just lashed out on a OM-D, to complement my 2yo EP-2 and more recent GH2, as well as a Rokinon 85mm f1.4 4/3-mount [in the post from B&H as we speak]. Fortunately I already have a Oly 4/3-m4/3 adaptor ring, so it's a fairly cheap round. All the reviews I have found of this lens, in its various incarnations, bode well. I was considering spending 3-4 times that to get a second hand Leica M 90mm f2 [which I used to have but foolishly sold], but decided to go for the new lens as more affordable. I can hardly wait for it to arrive, as I have always been an "edge of darkness" kind of photographer, from my M3 days. I already have the Pany/Leica 25mm f1.4 and I have long craved a looooongggg, fast lens. My budget and eyesight are not up to Noktons or Noctiluxes, but f1.4 is a lovely zone and the IS of the OM-D will be most welcome. It's what I miss on the GH2. Have any of you used the Rokinon 85mm f1.4 [or similar]? Thanks in anticipation

2. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Have you seen the sample thread for the lens?

I have one, and it's one of my favorite lenses (granted I only have a few, but still... :smile:) . I mount it on my E-PL3 from time to time and have gotten beautiful results from it -- if I nail the focus. f/1.4 has a very shallow DOF to nail the focus down. And that is why I mount it more on the Nex-C3, where I am spoiled by the focus peaking. :biggrin: But the EM-5's EVF + legendary IBIS should be more than enough, I believe.

I am a cheapskate, and I love the price of the Rokinon, but even I wouldn't mind if they priced it a bit higher.

• Like Like x 3
  3. iGonzoid

iGonzoid Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 6, 2011
    Tasmania, Australia
    Thanks for your affirmation... feel a need for justification. Having looked at the 85mm f1.4 image thread, I am most impressed and salivating. I intend to use it mostly for informal portraits, street, and rock concerts. Hate flash and crave that wide-open feel. Thanks again.

4. mperete

mperete Mu-43 Regular

Jul 11, 2012
    NSW Australia
    Mann
    I had the Rokinon 85 for a brief period and used it on my OM-D as well. It is quite long because of the crop factor which is just perfect for portraits. Images are sharp. I actually found it to be sharper than my Rokinon 35mm. The only negative I found was the massive purple fringing. Shooting subjects against a bright cloudy sky will bring out all the ugly purpliness you will ever see on a photo :rofl: But I still loved that lens. I should have held on to it if I only I was able to attempt to change the mount sooner (I successfully swapped my 4/3 35mm to Canon mount).

Edit:
    Oops I didn't pay attention to the date of the OP. You could already be enjoying this lens right now :) 

• Like Like x 1
  5. tanglewood

tanglewood Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 11, 2012
    compromise mount for 2 different systems

Hello Hyubie!

May I inquire what mount you have it on?

(edit: Oops. Question answered in linked thread: EOS!)

If you had to start all over, with both :43: and Nex bodies, what mount would be your choice?

TIA

6. troll

troll Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 25, 2012
    My guess is that the best version is for Nikon: this way you can mount it on Nikon DSLRs, Canon DSLRs and pretty much every mirrorrless system as well.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    You mean if I had to re-buy this lens? I'd still buy it on an EOS mount. It's easy enough to mount it on both :43: and Nex - and if I had the urge to go back to DSLR, I'd probably go with Canon. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  8. tanglewood

tanglewood Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 11, 2012
    Many thanks!

Longest flange to film (sensor) distance means ease to adapt.

The likelihood to reacquire a sentimental favorite obviates the need to adapt.

Both insightful points of view. :thumbup:

And both very workable, too. :2thumbs:

Thanks again!

Cheers!

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.