1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Any Rokinon 85mm f1.4 users [or badge clones]?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by iGonzoid, Oct 11, 2012.

1. iGonzoid

iGonzoid Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 6, 2011
    Tasmania, Australia
    Hi,
    RE: Rokinon 85mm f1.4...
    I have just lashed out on a OM-D, to complement my 2yo EP-2 and more recent GH2, as well as a Rokinon 85mm f1.4 4/3-mount [in the post from B&H as we speak]. Fortunately I already have a Oly 4/3-m4/3 adaptor ring, so it's a fairly cheap round. All the reviews I have found of this lens, in its various incarnations, bode well. I was considering spending 3-4 times that to get a second hand Leica M 90mm f2 [which I used to have but foolishly sold], but decided to go for the new lens as more affordable. I can hardly wait for it to arrive, as I have always been an "edge of darkness" kind of photographer, from my M3 days. I already have the Pany/Leica 25mm f1.4 and I have long craved a looooongggg, fast lens. My budget and eyesight are not up to Noktons or Noctiluxes, but f1.4 is a lovely zone and the IS of the OM-D will be most welcome. It's what I miss on the GH2. Have any of you used the Rokinon 85mm f1.4 [or similar]? Thanks in anticipation

2. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Have you seen the sample thread for the lens?

I have one, and it's one of my favorite lenses (granted I only have a few, but still... :smile:). I mount it on my E-PL3 from time to time and have gotten beautiful results from it -- if I nail the focus. f/1.4 has a very shallow DOF to nail the focus down. And that is why I mount it more on the Nex-C3, where I am spoiled by the focus peaking. :biggrin: But the EM-5's EVF + legendary IBIS should be more than enough, I believe.

I am a cheapskate, and I love the price of the Rokinon, but even I wouldn't mind if they priced it a bit higher.

• Like Like x 3
  3. iGonzoid

iGonzoid Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 6, 2011
    Tasmania, Australia
    Thanks for your affirmation... feel a need for justification. Having looked at the 85mm f1.4 image thread, I am most impressed and salivating. I intend to use it mostly for informal portraits, street, and rock concerts. Hate flash and crave that wide-open feel. Thanks again.

4. mperete

mperete Mu-43 Regular

Jul 11, 2012
    NSW Australia
    Mann
    I had the Rokinon 85 for a brief period and used it on my OM-D as well. It is quite long because of the crop factor which is just perfect for portraits. Images are sharp. I actually found it to be sharper than my Rokinon 35mm. The only negative I found was the massive purple fringing. Shooting subjects against a bright cloudy sky will bring out all the ugly purpliness you will ever see on a photo :rofl: But I still loved that lens. I should have held on to it if I only I was able to attempt to change the mount sooner (I successfully swapped my 4/3 35mm to Canon mount).

Edit:
    Oops I didn't pay attention to the date of the OP. You could already be enjoying this lens right now :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. tanglewood

tanglewood Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 11, 2012
    compromise mount for 2 different systems

Hello Hyubie!

May I inquire what mount you have it on?

(edit: Oops. Question answered in linked thread: EOS!)

If you had to start all over, with both :43: and Nex bodies, what mount would be your choice?

TIA

6. troll

troll Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 25, 2012
    My guess is that the best version is for Nikon: this way you can mount it on Nikon DSLRs, Canon DSLRs and pretty much every mirrorrless system as well.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    You mean if I had to re-buy this lens? I'd still buy it on an EOS mount. It's easy enough to mount it on both :43: and Nex - and if I had the urge to go back to DSLR, I'd probably go with Canon. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  8. tanglewood

tanglewood Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 11, 2012
    Many thanks!

Longest flange to film (sensor) distance means ease to adapt.

The likelihood to reacquire a sentimental favorite obviates the need to adapt.

Both insightful points of view. :thumbup:

And both very workable, too. :2thumbs:

Thanks again!

Cheers!

• Like Like x 1