Any Recommendations Inexpensive Parfocal Zooms for Filmmaking

kingston

Mu-43 Rookie
I'm using Panasonic GH5 to film my short films. Now I want to try using parfocal zooms to add to my cinematic vocabulary like what I see in 70s movies. Does anyone know of parfocal zooms that won't break the bank?

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
I'm using Panasonic GH5 to film my short films. Now I want to try using parfocal zooms to add to my cinematic vocabulary like what I see in 70s movies. Does anyone know of parfocal zooms that won't break the bank?
I don't know that any of the non-cine (i.e. not wickedly expensive) lenses are truly parfocal. But the O12-40 f/2.8 and PL12-60 have been mentioned as those that are closest. I've seen discussion that these lenses, while not optically parfocal, may achieve a quasi-parfocal effect via some software wizardry but I'm not certain that is the case. But beware that if this is the case, it would likely work only with bodies from the same manufacturer.

It might be helpful to know which focal lengths you are looking to cover and what your definition of "break the bank" is.

- K

Last edited:

PakkyT

Mu-43 Legend
Olympus OM 35-70mm f3.6 fits the bill which I actually bought one years go for this purpose before even moving into m43 from 4/3 thinking when I did this would be a great lens to allow me to change zoom without effecting focus. Still have it. Let me know if you are interested in it. Even comes with the original (kind of rare since they mostly got separated and lost over time) rubber hood. Of course it is fully manual focus and manual aperture as well.

kingston

Mu-43 Rookie
Thx for the heads up... saw a secondhand OM 35-70 f4 here in the UK at a very good price (the shop grades it as average condition due to signs of use but I'll take the chance given the price)...

Latest threads

Top Bottom