1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Any recommendations for rain protection?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by WithOpenedEyes, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Have a must-shoot event coming next weekend and there's a chance of rain, so I was looking at gear like the Vortex Media Storm Jacket..or something similar. Anyone have experience with these or have a better idea? Needs to be able to fit an M10 with the 40-150 Pro lens..and probably with the hood extended..so total length will be around 11"+. Thanks in advance.

2. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

3. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    An umbrella, get an assistant to hold it over you.

The ones meant for golf are the best in my experience.

4. The umbrella, unfortunately, would not be an option..going to be in with a crowd of 50,000. Someone might get a little ticked off when they can't watch American Pharoah kick butt at the finish line...LOL.

5. Yes, I've seen both the OP/TECH and the EWA rain sleeves/bags on B&H. Are those durable enough that they can be used several times? And how well did they seal around the lens?

6. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    it only really needs to seal the body since the lens is weather sealed (marketting aside Olympus sealing has been generally pretty good in the past), a few additional rubber bands around the lens and hope for the best? The lens mount doesn't really differ between the E-M10 and other models, the weather 'protection' is provided by the rubber gasket on the lens side, so it's more about sealing the rest of the body.

Jokes aside, take an Umbrella anyway. When it's raining people generally go inside and won't be around to complain, anyone close enough to complain is more likely to thank you for having one.

7. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

As mentioned above, I just make sure the lens end is tight and use an elastic band as reinforcement. The "hand end" is long and drapes down the arm. As for durability, they are 2 for $6 or $8, depending on size! Who cares if they don't wear well. I've refolded them after a session and re-used but wouldn't really care either way. If storm conditions are so bad that the plastic sleeve breaks down, I'm not going to be out in it anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Well the lens is a rental and I'd just as soon not take any chances with it..so some extra protection would be a good thing.

9. Aqualung

Aqualung Mu-43 Regular

Jan 10, 2013
    Central Mass
    Chris
    I use Aquatech and ThinkTank for my pro setups and keep an Op/Tech in my bag for emergencies. The Op/Tech should do you fine for this one outing, unless you wish to invest in the first two I mentioned. I also bring a chamois (synthetic) to help keep my hands dry when they're out of the cover.

10. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Get an EM1/5 and don't worry about the stupid camera condom. Olympus weather sealing is one of the reasons I switched, just wish they had more weather sealed lenses. I have had my EM1 w/ 50-200 or 150/2 in some pretty nasty rains with no problems yet.

11. Nice if you have the bucks for that...unfortunately I don't right now. And I'm not exactly crazy about the idea of letting the whole camera and lens get wet when I'll probably need to change lenses. The weather jacket just makes more sense.

12. I ended up getting the Storm Jacket...and it worked. Absolute protection from wet weather...of course that was because the rain went south of my location. See..it works.

13. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    That's why I always have a microfiber towel with me. Dry the lens and front of camera if you need to change lenses.

14. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    Another alternative might be to get some oven baking bags. You should be able to find one big enough, and they should be pretty durable. When I had a broken wrist, my Mom sewed elastic around the mouth of a baking bag and I could wear it in the shower to keep my cast dry. You could probably do the same with one end of the bag, or just use rubber bands. Should give ample room to manipulate the camera and lens.