1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Any reason to hold on to EP-1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by 369, Jul 12, 2011.

1. 369

369 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2010
    Hi all,

Is there any reason to hold on to my EP-1 or should I just sell it to get some funds for EPL-3. Would this camera in the future have any value?

Slow AF is frustrating....

Also, if I do sell it what would be a reasonable price that I should expect or list at?

2. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I am wondering the same thing. I like my E-P1 but I find that I do not use it nearly enough. I suppose I keep it just because of my appreciation of the design of it. I keep more for its appeal as an object than its use to me as a camera.

I dressed mine up with an Aki-Asahi leatherette cover, GGS glass LCD protector and black leather Gordy strap. At least it looks good. I will say that if you shoot in A mode, set the metering to center weighted and focus point to center it improves the AF considerably. AF i iAuto mode is...an adventure :eek:. I have also found that the Panasonic 14/2.5 (which is a very quick to AF lens) makes a nice match for the E-P1. It makes it a pretty responsive enjoyable WA walk around.

I doubt that it's worth much in terms of resale.

3. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    There were tons of them sold.....they will never appreciate in value. Having said that, though, they will not likely lose much more value. Used bodies (without lens) seem to sell between $200-$275. I just bought one actually because I missed it's slow focus and lack of flash. I use it with manual glass and when lighting is good. It's nice to have an extra body, I think. I think switching lenses is a pain and makes you look like a camera geek (in all the wrong ways), so when I go out shooting, I'll have a prime on one camera and a zoom or different prime on another body and just switch between cameras.....it works much quicker than taking lenses on and off.

It really depends on your needs. If you need the cash to make the sale happen and don't think you'll ever use it, let it go.

4. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Cold reason tells us that electronic devices have no collecting value, because even if you lock them safely away, they will fail in a couple decades - components do degrade on their own (capacitors lose electrolyte over time for instance).

Now, it's up to you. There are many reasons to keep the e-p1 (good overall camera, almost the same sensor as the latest E-P3 etc.), and many reasons to sell it. But if you are to sell it, better be quick. As time passes by, resale value drops and sometimes the 'reasonable' price to ask for is not reasonable (I think a realistic price today would be circa 250 €, which is in the range of half-capable compacts from Canon ! I'm certainly not parting with mine for a sum that will only get me a non interchangeable zoom + small sensor !)

Cheers,

5. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010

All good points. Having an extra body is handy and I suppose that is part of why I keep mine. I have never gotten the hang of MF on the E-P1 LCD. I have though for a while that something like a Clearviewer might be a nice addition. I used one on my ZS3 and it was pretty darned handy. If you buy the premium version of the Clearviewer (which I did) they offer the ability to send it back and "upgrade" to a different camera mount. I might give that a go.

6. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    I think the E-p1 is nearing the resale point at which you won't be losing an appreciable amount by holding onto the camera. I've been using Pentax dslrs for close to 6 years now, and that has equated to about 5 product cycles - what I have found is that each body has settled into a used price range that remains relatively constant after about 2.5 years following product launch, or after about 2 new camera bodies later. With the launch of the E-p3 we are at about that point, and I would expect the E-p1 to retain a value anywhere between $150-250 depending on usage and wear for several years to come.

7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I agree with all of the above. They bottom out. I would think $200 is the base value of any interchangeable body, and the EP1 is very near that right now.

I've got one, too, and I've been trying to decide what to do with it. I think I'll keep it as a backup, or give it to one of my kids. I'm not sure I could bear to sell it!

8. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Am I understanding this right?!? Are you saying that the can "upgrade" the mount on the E-P1 to have lightning fast focus with the new lenses!?!?

That can't be right.

9. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Having sold one recently. About $200-$250. Almost all my offers were for $200 for weeks on end. I held out. Finally someone bought it at $250.

10. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    You'd think! I picked up my Pentax *ist DS (granted it is probably 5-6 years old now) on Craigslist last year for a whopping $100 bucks, kit lens included. I use it for IR as it has a weak AA filter, allowing hand-held shutter speeds around 1/30th.

11. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    No...sorry I was unclear...I bought a Clearviewer that helps you see the LCD better in bright light and you can upgrade that to a newer version that fits on a new camera (since you buy them to fit a specific model) IF you bought the premium version of it. Just a way to extend the usefulness of the E-P1 a bit.

I edited the previous post to make it more clear.

12. timallenphoto

timallenphoto Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2011
    Kent, England
    Slightly off topic but why do people recommend centre weighted metering?

13. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    That's a fair comment, but that is a 2004 camera. I think I should have qualified my answer. The value of any interchangeable lens camera bottoms out for a while, but eventually, as someone else noted, chips fail, solder joints fail, etc. and the value becomes near-zero.

But then other cameras do funny things in value -- take Pannys' LC1. The value of that camera (if you drew it on an X/Y graph -- time and value) must look like a roller coaster, and I've got to think it's headed down again.

14. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    E-P1 is still a fine camera... I doubt that in any measurable or perceivable criteria it is more than 10% 'worse' than anything that has come since.

Does it have any intrinsic value?... probably not.... its still a very cool looking camera - and probably will be referenced as a 'design classic'

personallY I will keep my E-p1 - if i was buy another micro 4/3 body today it may well be a G3... but thats only because I want a flippy screen and better video control... then again I might just wait and see if Olympus produce a body that enters that market... a digital OM ...it must have been thought of

K

• Like Like x 1
  15. guzziknight

guzziknight Mu-43 Veteran

May 18, 2011
    For me, the image quality is great, the camera is beautiful, and it does everything I want and need. No reason to upgrade.

16. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Yep,
    Besides it being a collector's item :smile:, you can also convert it to IR...

17. I'm hanging on to my E-P1 because it is my favourite camera to use, not as a possible investment. If you're considering the possible future value of a camera you will most likely need to mark time in decades, not years i.e. I'm not holding my breath for a 2014 spike in E-P1 values. If you don't want it, like it, or use it anymore, I'd sell it.

18. simonz

simonz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2010
    New England
    I keep a Olympus 17mm f2.8 and the VF-1 optical viewfinder dedicated to my E-P1. This makes a great walk around combo that reminds me of a Leica M3 from back in the day. And the image quality is pretty darn nice. I may experiment with zone focusing and not have to worry about focus lag.

I'll be keeping the E-P1 but I'm tempted getting an E-P2 or E-P3 that will take the great Olympus EVF for use with MF lenses.

19. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    :2thumbs:

I had my e-p1 next to my om-1 & 4 bodies on the shelf and there really isn't much size difference.

It'd be awesome if the 'Pen Pro' was a digital om - nice solid retro styled body and controls. I have a sneaking suspicion the cost to make small runs of these precision bodies would push the price into serious DSLR territory - then again the apetite for premium bodies (as proven by the X1 & X100) does seem to be healthy.

20. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    I think my main point was that whether you get $200 now or $100 5 years from now, might as well keep it because you'll get well over $100 worth of mileage out of an e-p1 with another 5 year's worth of usage!