Any reason to choose GF3 over E-PM1?

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by demiro, Apr 2, 2012.

1. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Besides the touch screen? I am a touch screen non-adopter by nature, but I have to say I enjoy using it to fire the shutter on the GF3. The camera is so small that it is really easy to touch your spot, and it focuses and fires very fast.

I know the GF3 gets micro love at best, and the E-PM1 has fast become a favorite as a second body to many :43: enthusiasts, but I'm wondering if there is any compelling argument to make for the GF3 at all? Consider them to be price neutral.
  2. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Its all about ur comfort and how camera feels in ur hands. PM1 offers IBIS and hot shoe which can be used for VF and GF3 doesn't have that. I love look and feel of GF3 though but there is no special reason .They are both great Micro MFT cameras .
  3. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    It really depends on which you like better. The E-PM1 has bit more in terms of features such as IBIS, OOC JPEGS color, better AWB and AF speed but the GF3 has a touch screen, really nice picture in picture manual focus assist, built in flash and I suspect is a bit more comfortable in the hand. Also I have always felt that my Panasonic 20 focuses a bit faster on my Panasonic G2 than on Olympus E-P3 (and E-PM1 before that). That said, I think the biggest thing is how they feel in your hand and if you prefer one over the other.
  4. vinay

vinay Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2012
    E-PM1 also gives you wireless flash control...

Although touch-to-shoot on pany's is neat, it does add camera shake. Nonetheless, I heavily use touch-to-set-focus-point on my GF2. Much quicker than going through any menu.
  5. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    If you want to do video, the GF3 recently got hacked to output higher bitrates among other things.
  6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    ...but with no external audio like the E-PM1 has. ;) External audio does for video what external flash does for photography. The GF-3 has neither.
  7. atomic

atomic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    You can capture pretty good audio with the SEMA-1 on the EPM-1 if you supply your own mics. If you really want to kick it up a notch, better get a dedicated audio recorder, preamp and mics. Then the advantage of an external mic accessory dissapears. ;)
  8. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Talkies are just a fad anyways.
  9. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    I can't imagine anyone adding an external flash and or mic to a GF3, that would be so ridiculous.
  10. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Thanks for all the comments. I don't know that any of the extra capabilities of the E-PM1 are a big priority for me, but I am a big fan of Oly JPEGs. I think I will end getting an E-PM1 and comparing it heads up to the GF3. The GF3 is very easy to hold and use for me, which given it's size (smaller than the E-PM1) is fairly impressive.
  11. gsk3

gsk3 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 29, 2012
    I like the GF3 a lot. Haven't used an E-PM1 for comparison, but I have owned high-end Nikons and a E-P1 before this.

The main thing missing on the GF3 for me is flash exposure compensation. It's huge, and sadly lacking.
  12. vinay

vinay Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2012
    I have the exact same annoyance w/ the GF2..