Any quicker way to toggle between single vs multi-point AF?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by lightmonkey, Dec 22, 2013.

1. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    just picked up the cam. liking all of the customization. but i cant find a quick way to toggle or dial between single-point vs multi-point AF?

the only way i can get it is by (1) first activating focus point location (4-way directional buttons, or mapping other bttns), (2) hitting INFO to bring up focus coverage (3) toggle between small pt, large pt, zone, and full spread multi-point AF.

id really like a quicker way to do that. to somehow jump directly into step #3.... or really the multi-point option should be a 5th mode next to S-AF/C-AF/S-AFm/S-AFmTR....
  2. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    You didn't say what camera you are using.
  3. lightmonkey

Dec 22, 2013
    whoops. thats a pretty good point :D this is the EM-1
  4. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    That is about the quickest way I know. If the camera is set at defaults - you can use the Fn1 button to access the focus points, but then you still have to hit the Info button.

Assigning Set Home to a function button only seems to allow you to select between one of your your focus target choices and toggles between that and the full focsing matrix. Maybe there is more to that than I found.
  5. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Create a Myset and assign it to a dedicated button for one of the selections.
  6. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    The way I see it, there are two ways to get close to what you want.

1. Bring up AF point selection and scroll/dial in any direction to navigate outside the grid, which will activate multi-point auto selection. Or...

2. In the [[Menu > Gears > A. AF/MF > Set Home]] select multi-point auto-select. Then in [[Gears > B. Button/Dial > Button Function]] map one of your function buttons to "Set Home".
  7. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    I have my E-M1 set up as mrjr recommends, and find that to be a very efficient way of doing it: I have it set to the small focus points by default, which can improve autofocus performance of some lenses.

Also, do not forget the touch focus capability of the touch screen: touch the screen where you want the camera to focus, and it will focus there and (if you have thus set it) take a picture as soon as focus is locked.
  8. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    To change it without mysets or custom buttons, do this:

Move the directional pad in any direction to bring up the focus point selector
    Press info
    Scroll with the rear button, once should be 3x3 af points, and twice should be full screen auto AF point.
  9. marcr1230

marcr1230 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2013
    It would be nice if you could set one of the control wheels to cycle thru AF point settings , plus not moving the green focus squares off center
  10. lightmonkey

Dec 22, 2013
    perfecto! this is just as i need: 1 button to trigger to selection point and a quick single-movement scroll to get to multi-point.

as fast as one can ask for. :th_salute:
  11. photo_owl

photo_owl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2013
    using just your left thumb,,,,,,,,,,,press Fn1 then INFO and the rear dial does exactly that (based on default settings)

if you want 1 touch cycling between any 2 then -
    1. program the AF home to one of them in the menu (I have the centre group programmed this way myself)
    2. program AF (home point) to a button
    3. either use the above process, or the super control panel if you prefer, to select your other choice

now you can directly cycle between the two with a single press of the programmed button.