Any qualms I have about street photography....

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by lubov, Sep 8, 2011.

1. lubov

lubov Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 4, 2011
    seem to be epitomised by this man's attitude, style, presentation and ultimately, results.

[ame=]Fabio Pires - Street Photography -[/ame]
  2. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    "sorry this video can only be streamed within mainland China"
    • Like Like x 2
  3. lubov

lubov Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 4, 2011 fine in London.
  4. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    He has to pick (and appears to do so) his subjects carefully as many of the "Young guns" on our streets would take great offence and he would be challenged directly and could end up in a messy and painful situation without a camera.
    My approach is to stop and appear to be taking a general "scene" type photo using the GF1 so people view it more as a tourist compact than a pro DSLR - once people settle for the fact I will re-compose to include what I want.
    I often pre-focus and set exposure on an area and wait for my point of interest to move into the scene then press the shutter rather than attempt the Bruce Gilden "in your face"effect - today's youth are not as tolerant, and the Police & Security staff are now more anal than ever about photographers.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Something to look forward to during my next UK trip.:smile:
  6. ripleys baby

ripleys baby Straw clutcher

Aug 10, 2011
    I have no problem at all with strangers snapping me.
    However. If his surprise/in you face type of photography was used on me
    I'm thinking his camera would need to be surgically removed from his
    rectum ! Its rude and intimidating !
    • Like Like x 1
  7. lubov

lubov Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 4, 2011

Yeah sorry I didn't know. I don't think it will be the highlight of the trip somehow.:redface:
  8. anidel

anidel Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2011
    Twickenham, Uk
    I agree, respect is a must everywhere and photography is no exception.

I wouldn't mind if he was shooting at people, but he's literally going into them!
    That's rude.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    Couldn't watch the vid, but I googled his work.

I like it but the street photography...I dunno. I admire the "cavalier composition", but all his street subjects seem uncomfortable and caught off guard.

Isn't street shooting about context? This is a different genre...I call it "Urban Provoke-Portraits" :tongue:

PS- Try that shet in LA son!
    • Like Like x 2
  10. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    He seems to have fun with it walking by and shooting, but if dude jumped out of nowhere at me he'd be napping on the sidewalk in no time.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Same here.
  12. timallenphoto

timallenphoto Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2011
    Kent, England
    In my opinion this guy is a disgrace, but then so is Bruce Gilden. My dislike for Gilden and his 'work' is limitless!
  13. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    The definition of street photography is very loose and varies depending on who you ask. As near as I can tell this particular approach to street photography seems to have been popularised in modern times. Automatic cameras now allow you to get closer and closer to people before releasing the shutter. I worked out fairly quickly that this approach was not for me, and certainly not the" in your face" style seen from this guy.
  14. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Doesn't run in California.
  15. Grant

Grant Mu-43 Veteran

He is assaulting people with his camera!
  16. s0nus

s0nus Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 13, 2010
    Looks like the video has been removed from youtube as well. Even his own website references the bad youtube link.

Doing a quick google search reveals a lot of chatter and negative feedback.

He seems to have caved.
  17. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
  18. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    I also prefer this type of tourist-like approach, rather than the "in-your-face", "sneak-up-n-shoot" style. I find that very offensive...
  19. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Take care

Please take care - there have been quite a few more and often un reported cases in London over the past year where photographers have been challenegd in an aggresive mannner and in some cases, they have had the equipment stolen.
    The Police and local secuity staff are also a lot more aggresive in their attitude to photographers so once more you may find yourself being challenged or prevented from taking photographs of areas they consider (restricted or privately owned).
    Please do not let these comments put you off though, we visit London a number of times a year and I have not had any problems taking street photography and areas such as Camden Town/Lock are full of photographically interesteing subjects who tend not to be too concerned unless you get in their face, the only time I have been challenged was by a foreigner!
    There is no restriction under UK law on taking photographs in public places but do use common sense.
    You can see some of my recent street at my blogsite - link below.

Enjoy the trip, take loads of photos but remain aware of who/what you are photographing.