Any problems with very long videos?

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by jackthehat, Feb 21, 2016.

1. jackthehat

jackthehat Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2014
    Cumbria, UK
    Hi folks,

I've been asked to video a local pantomime as a favour for a family member. I have an Olympus E-P5 but I'm worried that the camera will not be able to cope with videoing continuously for an hour or two without overheating.

I also have my trusty Canon 5D MkII but that will only record video in 12 minute bursts so I'd prefer to use the Olympus.

Any advice?

2. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    The Oly will also need a break every few minutes and need restarting. If in doubt, set it up and point it at the TV. See how long it goes for while capturing moving images.

I've shot live shows with the GH4 and EM1. The EM1 is rather unpredictable with recording times whereas the GH4 is 29:59:59 every time.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. jackthehat

jackthehat Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2014
    Cumbria, UK
    Thanks Dave, that's really good info. Looks like I'll have to borrow a proper video camera for the occasion.

4. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Simon
    "Still" cameras sold in the EU have a 30 minute video limit, to aviod being classed as a "high-end video camera" which are taxed at a higher rate (so the non-EU GH4 for example will just keep going until either you run out of space or the battery goes flat). So even if your E-P5 can cope with running continuously, you would have to stop and start the video at least once every half hour so that it created a new file.
    And the other issue is that the FAT32 file system (i.e. what your flash card uses) has a file size limit of 4Gb, and the camera may stop recording when it reaches that limit (some cameras stop, and some just start a new file and carry on).
    Sounds like the "proper video camera" might be the simplest solution :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. jackthehat

jackthehat Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2014
    Cumbria, UK
    Thanks Simon, that all makes perfect sense.